Southampton v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Let’s For Once Beat The ‘Curse’ Of Southampton

After our first home win of the season by 3-1 against Everton, our next game is away, this time the short trip over the border to Southampton’s (Saints) ground for our team and fans. Frustrating place for Cherries fans over the years to visit, be it their old ground at the Dell or these days since 2001, St Mary’s Stadium, our side have never managed to win there, let’s hope this season that record is put to bed. This is the second game in a row that the game is being shown live by the Sky television cameras, this time on a Friday night at 8 pm. When is a local derby not a derby? When Southampton and AFCB meet! That seems to be the view of a number of fans, even though the two grounds are only 32 miles apart and we will have been playing them home and away for the last 5 seasons. Their ‘real derby’ will be the following week when they play Portsmouth (Pompey) at Fratton Park in the League Cup, their two grounds are only just under 20 miles apart. The last time these Hampshire rivals met was in the Championship seven years ago.

The Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl is in his second season in charge after joining the club in December 2018, replacing the previous manager Mark Hughes. Both these managers had one thing in common, they both saved Saints from relegation. The seasons of 2017-18 (Mark Hughes manager) and 2018-19 (Ralph Hasenhuttl manager), this away game was played on the Saturdays of April 27th 2018 and April 28th 2019. Both these games were significant for the Saints, in the game last season they picked up a point in the thrilling 3-3 draw to make sure of staying in the Premier League. The season of 2017-18 also saw the Saints pick up vital points against AFCB while in a relegation battle. That time they won 2-1, this was after a previous run of five games with one draw and four defeats, but that victory and 3 points helped the Hampshire club to avoid relegation at the end of the season.

In the Summer Saints signed Strikers Che Adams from Birmingham City for £15 million and Danny Ings after a season long loan from Liverpool for £20 million. Winger Moussa Djenepo from Standard Liege for £15 million.

Southampton started the season with two defeats. First was the 3-0 defeat away at Burnley, this was followed with a 1-2 home loss against Liverpool. The Saints then gained their first win of the season away against Brighton 0-2. This was followed with a 1-1 draw at home against Manchester United. In their most recent game Saints picked up 3 points away at Sheffield United for their second away win of the season.

In our two games against Saints last season both games ended in draws. In the four Premier League games away from home against the Hampshire side we have come away with 2 points out of a possible 12. In all our league games against Southampton, AFCB have W 0, D 4, L 8. In all competitions, AFCB have W 7, D 9, L 13.

Saints Team News
Nathan Redmond been out with an ankle injury and doubtful for this game.

Saints Player To Watch
Danny Ings must be a threat, always looking to sniff out a chance and will be looking to do this against his first club. On the wing in an attacking role Moussa Djenepo will be one our defence will need to watch.

AFCB Team News
It was good to see Lewis Cook back after such a long time out, will two games in 5 days be too much for Lewis? Will have to wait and see who Eddie chooses. Jefferson Lerma came on as a sub against Everton so will definitely be back in contention for his midfield spot alongside Philip Billing to give it some ‘bite’.

AFCB Player To Watch
A few had good games against Everton, but goals win games, so with 3 goals in his last two outings will go for Callum Wilson again. He looks full of confidence and that lob over Pickford was taken so calmly. Also the game could be won by who gets control of midfield.

The referee is Chris Kavanagh, we had him for two away defeats last season, both involving London teams and five goals. Spurs 5-0 and Arsenal 5-1.

That Everton win gave everyone a real lift so a point or 3 will keep up the feel good factor. No doubt it’s status as a Derby will be mocked - doesn’t bother me either way but don’t understand the fuss made.

Saints to Lose to the Cherries and Pompey in the same week!
I wants that on my forum CV..... And if Pitman.....well ...I'd award myself a Sainthood!

Last edited:
Ah the most wonderful time of the year is here again . When we go rocking up to St Mary’s full of confidence , players hitting form and coming back from injury ,Echo interviews when players talk about knowing how important it is to the fans , Southampton getting all precious about only being rivals with Pompey ( makes them think they’re hard ) ...and then ...well we all know what happens .

Maybe this year will be different

Just been on one of their forums......plenty predicting a draw...and lots of goals again.
Some of them worried about our pace up front and its looking like..no Redmond ...who most consider their best player.
A couple of weirdos saying they'd rather lose to us than Pompey....hmm .silly buggers... but suits me Sir !
One guy predicting a 1st Cherries win there in PL !!!
Another saying we are ' bottlers'...we will see!

Southampton Echo

Eddie Howe has warned Premier League clubs there is a lot more to come from Bournemouth this season.

The Cherries registered their second win of the campaign on Sunday, scoring twice in the space of five second-half minutes to defeat Everton 3-1 at Vitality Stadium.

Yet with numerous players still out injured and Lewis Cook only returning from a lengthy lay-off at the weekend, Howe is optimistic moving into a busy period - starting with Friday’s clash at St Mary’s.

“It’s a sign of what we can be. This season we will only get stronger when we have more players back from injury,” he said. “The group is really strong when we have a full compliment of players and we have options in every position. At the moment it’s difficult to rotate the team too much, although I did against Everton because I wanted to freshen things up. This win should give the strength of the group real confidence.”

I put a big premium on three points Friday. Then a League Cup game win, followed by the Hammers at home. Things can really look good come the end of the month.
Followed by Arsenal, Norwich and Watford in October. Bags of points for the taking.

I really, really hope we attack this game in the same spirit and with the same effort as the Everton game. If we do I think we will break our hoodoo there. The only worry is that we are not known for producing two consecutive excellent performances. As established Kings of The South Coast it's time to step up lads and not let your levels drop, keep the energy high, make history, bring home the three points. Come on !!!!!!
As TJ says, a win on Friday and the future looks very bright indeed.
We can do this ! :utc:

Please guys....if its only 1 point lets not go all suicidal....because stopping Them beating Us on their Dungheap of Dungheaps is great too...we would have snapped hands off for that result 5 years back...or any away Draw in the PL!

Oh bugger that......lets just Anihilate the buggers and Tick the Box!

Then we can concentrate on what Really matters.......continue Thumbscrewing Brighton and if dear old Pompey wanna come up and 'have some' !

Got a lot of scummer mates (I can’t help it, I live in the new forest)
They are a weird bunch. Their hatred for Pompey knows no bounds. Most I’ve talked to would rather lose to us if meant beating Portsmouth. One even suggested he’d like rabbithutch to put out a weakened team against us so the first team were fresh for the real derby.
They really are getting themselves in a lather over this one.
As it’s not a bubble game, I think it could be a very interesting evening. Hampshire plod are going to have a high old time.

Can't think of any players they have that that would get into our first XI. Maybe Bertrand? If football was simply a matter of comparing squads, we'd be winning this game quite easily.

But it isn't, and its away, so I reckon it'll be a 2-2.

;