southgate must go.

Robson is the best manager we have had.
Lost a tight game keeps coming up. I would like to see that changed to won. But it won't, until we change our game, which we can't.
England are the Spurs of the EPL. Bottlers I think they call them.

Do me a favour. Go back and check the results of 1988 euros and the 1990 world cup for that matter. We won a few tight games. If you play for 50 years you're eventually going to win a few tight games in a row - see 1990, 1996 and 2018.

You're right. We're not Brilliant and we're not shite. That doesn't make Southgate a good England manager. He does what a lot of England managers have done in the past, he gets us through qualifiers and friendlies. When he comes up against a top side in competitions I think he will be found wanting.

There is no mythical manager that will solve these problems. See the last 50 years for evidence.

For Christ sake we’re England . We usually qualify for the big tournaments often quite easily . Sometimes we do well Ish sometimes we’re sh*t but it’s usually fairly entertaining unfortunately we always get caught out by whoever are the really good teams any given year ..it’s what we’ve done for decades ..live with it ...we’re not that good we’re not that bad .

I don't think the press is the problem here. We seem to have deluded fans! That "we are england" comment is pathetic!
The English invented the game....if we rid ourselves of that seemingly stupid emotion of mine....we lose everything!
Brazil relate to Pele. Holland to Cruyff. Portugal to Ronaldo for examples. We can go much further back..why not..we have to drag up some pride from somewhere.......there are Millions like me that identify with ' We are England' for several reasons...and expect us to be in the Top 3 or 4 at least !

I agree Al, although Southgate installed some togetherness he is a tactically inept manager and not good enough. One of his first quotes as manager was I'll pick the team on Club form yet he picks Stones, Delph, Lingard who don't start for their clubs so he's digging his own grave. It was a terrible line-up, how is Trent not starting?

I can't blame him entirely though because at the end of the day look at the players we have, they're not good. You'd say on paper Kane & Sterling are the best we have and they are not Top Tier World Class. Just have to hope the next gen coming through are going to show bit more technical play and bottle.

At WC we had an easy group beat pub team Panama 6-1, needed last min winner against a bad Tunisia then threw the Belgium game before edging past a very average Colombia minus their best player on pens before beating a poor Sweden and getting knocked out by an average Croatia with 2 or 3 very good individuals. IMO the Golden Generation would've got to the Final of that WC and taken France all the way to pens where as had we got there France would've embarrassed us like they did to Croatia.

Yes we beat Spain in a glorified friendly but if it was a game that mattered we would've lost. Holland were very average with a good CB pairing and some pace on wings but still better than us. I'm afraid I don't see us reaching the Semi's at Wembley in Euro 20 unless some of these promising youngsters like Foden, Hudson-Odoi give us new hope. The midfield for me is the worst part - no creativity at all and I don't rate over hyped Dele. Would like to see Shelvey get in who can actually create chances. It's a shame because we invented the game and should not be 53 years without a WC or Euro but I don't see any lessons learned from the past - German efficiency, Brazilian Flair or Italian panache taught into English players. I'd love to see us win the WC but I just don't ever see it, too many of our players are too nice and meek and hide on the big occasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Al, although Southgate installed some togetherness he is a tactically inept manager and not good enough. One of his first quotes as manager was I'll pick the team on Club form yet he picks Stones, Delph, Lingard who don't start for their clubs so he's digging his own grave. It was a terrible line-up, how is Trent not starting?

I can't blame him entirely though because at the end of the day look at the players we have, they're not good. You'd say on paper Kane & Sterling are the best we have and they are not Top Tier World Class. Just have to hope the next gen coming through are going to show bit more technical play and bottle.

At WC we had an easy group beat pub team Panama 6-1, needed last min winner against a bad Tunisia then threw the Belgium game before edging past a very average Colombia minus their best player on pens before beating a poor Sweden and getting knocked out by an average Croatia with 2 or 3 very good individuals. IMO the Golden Generation would've got to the Final of that WC and taken France all the way to pens where as had we got there France would've embarrassed us like they did to Croatia.

Yes we beat Spain in a glorified friendly but if it was a game that mattered we would've lost. Holland were very average with a good CB pairing and some pace on wings but still better than us. I'm afraid I don't see us reaching the Semi's at Wembley in Euro 20 unless some of these promising youngsters like Foden, Hudson-Odoi give us new hope. The midfield for me is the worst part - no creativity at all and I don't rate over hyped Dele. Would like to see Shelvey get in who can actually create chances. It's a shame because we invented the game and should not be 53 years without a WC or Euro but I don't see any lessons learned from the past - German efficiency, Brazilian Flair or Italian panache taught into English players. I'd love to see us win the WC but I just don't ever see it, too many of our players are too nice and meek and hide on the big occasion.
We invented lots of sports and are world champions in very few. We invented TV and the phone and the printing press ( if we include jocks). It means diddly squat now!

IMHO Rice is a complete waste of space and doesn't seem to contribute anything at all -what the hell has he ever done to warrant an England place? - seriously?

Delph can't even get in Man City's first team and Stones just seems to be a statue who can head the odd ball away!

Southgate Out!
*can't

I just think you can tell he listening to him he is not a top manager. Not inspirational and his tactical changes are odd. He also does that classic England manager thing of starting by opening it up to everyone and then narrowing it down to a team he has created himself

I don't think he's the best manager on earth by any means. Tactically he's limited, as evidenced by the inability to change things during games. I also find some of his squad picks odd, but then I think that about every England manager. But I find calls for him to go incredibly harsh!

If we consider where this England side is in their cycle, they're infants. Right now the job is about introducing a whole generation of players to the international stage. We're doing that whilst playing some enjoyable entertaining football. Last summer was the best we've had it since 2002 or 1998. It might be that in a couple of years when the crop is battle hardened and nearing the window in which you expect to challenge more seriously, then you might assess the situation and bring someone in to push them on another level. But I'm happy with Southgate for the Euros in 2020.

Any who the hell would replace him anyway? Eddie?

Keep Southgate for the time being let's be fair he has not done too bad so far.

As for the defending pissing about at the back and conceding soft goals now where have we seen that before.

;