Spending

This... We have spent next to nothing since relegation... Wages will have been slashed significantly in the last two seasons and IMO, spending £1.5m and and £2m (or whatever it was for Christie) does not exactly shout 'big spenders... Maybe, I'm still living in pre-Covid and PL times when players of this value would almost be scoffed at...

I guess what I'm trying to say is in also in agreement with Kirsikka, in that I think Max has had his finger's burnt with Eddie's spending, and is now seems in full control of a more considered way of addressing the playing side... Yes, Parker will have had some assurances, but as I've said on here before... I think he's been given time and is here for the project and not necessarily the immediate return...

... and for what it's worth, the squad we have now almost looks stronger and more together than the squad we got relegated with... So spending big money obviously isn't everything...
Our wage bill was absolutely extortionate last season, our highest earner was on more than Southampton’s highest earner (Begovic.)

Our wage bill was absolutely extortionate last season, our highest earner was on more than Southampton’s highest earner (Begovic.)

True but that doesn’t mean we haven’t slashed it significantly…

we all knew our wage bill was not sustainable, even in the PL… Hopefully these lessons have been learned and we’re a lot more cautious with our spending and contracts… Even if we went up, I doubt we’d see anywhere near the spending we witnessed when there before…

True but that doesn’t mean we haven’t slashed it significantly…

we all knew our wage bill was not sustainable, even in the PL… Hopefully these lessons have been learned and we’re a lot more cautious with our spending and contracts… Even if we went up, I doubt we’d see anywhere near the spending we witnessed when there before…

Who knows, the person in change of spending the money is still in the same role. All depends what brief he’s been given.

Max trades in Russian energy among other things so following the news I’m sure he is quite flush at the moment!!

If we are top at Christmas it might make us feel less sad about eating a frozen Bernard Matthew’s turkey roll because there was no CO2 to vacuum pack a fresh bird.

Perhaps we could put a very big balloon over Parliament, Piers Morgan, Talk Sport, ... to catch all the hot air. Hot air contains more Carbon Dioxide.

Save the planet and our Christmas dinner in one. Voila.

Max trades in Russian energy among other things so following the news I’m sure he is quite flush at the moment!!

If we are top at Christmas it might make us feel less sad about eating a frozen Bernard Matthew’s turkey roll because there was no CO2 to vacuum pack a fresh bird.
Time we did away with that 'tradition' of eating an native North American bird anyway....they're bloody tasteless rubbish tbf .
Pop down to your local butcher and order a nice fresh goose imo.

I guess every business has to balance financial responsibility with healthy risk. EH overspent but it was during a time/climate where player fees were inflated across the board and the majority of Premier League clubs spent a lot. That said, the Ibe, Lerma, Solanke and Mepham purchases were unwise I think (no disrespect meant to the players, just the prices we paid for them). I guess most bottom half premier league teams should have a relegation contingency plan, which includes careful spending. This seemed to be lacking in our business continuity.

I think that one of Lerma, Billing and Brooks might go in the January window and Steve Cook may go too. If so, this will bring in some more funds. I doubt we'll have more players coming in this season unless Travers and Nyland do badly in goal.

All in all, I feel we have the right cautious-risk approach at the moment.

In regards to Begovic it was widely reported

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/bournemouth-cutting-their-cloth-with-player-departure/

I dare say if you were interested in Southampton then it’s probably just as easy to find.

Would be surprised if he was earning more than Ings et al though following his wage reduction.
" if the Daily Star is to be believed, was earning a reported £110,000-a-week wages prior to the club’s relegation." That's a big IF!
"Daily Express reporter Ryan Taylor posted on his Twitter account that Begovic was AFC Bournemouth’s “top earner by a considerable distance (£73,000 a week) so getting him off the bill is huge for them“."

Why would Asmir or anyone at the Club tell these two what he was earning? And the two figures quoted with such certainty are only a mere £37K different anyway.

Why would all the Saints squad reveal to the press and media what they were earning?

It strikes me that all this stuff is either made up or based on assumptions, and then gets recirculated by the gullible via the internet echo chamber until everyone takes it as gospel - well apart from those of us who take all this rubbish with a pinch of salt.

" if the Daily Star is to be believed, was earning a reported £110,000-a-week wages prior to the club’s relegation." That's a big IF!
"Daily Express reporter Ryan Taylor posted on his Twitter account that Begovic was AFC Bournemouth’s “top earner by a considerable distance (£73,000 a week) so getting him off the bill is huge for them“."

Why would Asmir or anyone at the Club tell these two what he was earning? And the two figures quoted with such certainty are only a mere £37K different anyway.

Why would all the Saints squad reveal to the press and media what they were earning?

It strikes me that all this stuff is either made up or based on assumptions, and then gets recirculated by the gullible via the internet echo chamber until everyone takes it as gospel - well apart from those of us who take all this rubbish with a pinch of salt.

The difference is around about a 30% cut which could have been written into his contract in the event of relegation.

Of course it’s all only reported, there are various pages out there who quote a number of different players wages from all clubs. No idea how they get their information, feel free to take it with a pinch or shovel full of salt.

;