Spending

This... We have spent next to nothing since relegation... Wages will have been slashed significantly in the last two seasons and IMO, spending £1.5m and and £2m (or whatever it was for Christie) does not exactly shout 'big spenders... Maybe, I'm still living in pre-Covid and PL times when players of this value would almost be scoffed at...

I guess what I'm trying to say is in also in agreement with Kirsikka, in that I think Max has had his finger's burnt with Eddie's spending, and now seems in full control of a more considered way of addressing the playing side... Yes, Parker will have had some assurances, but as I've said on here before... I think he's been given time and is here for the project and not necessarily the immediate return...

... and for what it's worth, the squad we have now almost looks stronger and more together than the squad we got relegated with... So spending big money obviously isn't everything...
I think Gary Cahill has made a tremendous difference to our clean sheets since his arrival and it looks as though he is enjoying himself encouraging our young lads.
Mick McCarthy, after being beaten by our lads, always mentions the money we have spent, a bit of sour grapes I guess but he doesn't realise that Eddie instigated that all of our age groups sing from the same music sheet.
As for Luton Town, they haven't been the same since they lost Eric Morecambe OBE
UTC

watever bego was on, its fair to say he's not making a good impression with the everton fans. he did his usual "no show" for the pens at qpr last night, they are going bonkers!

:utc:

Could it be said that Mr Parker, having himself played a good few seasons in the top Divisions would have a better idea of what players when brought into the club, would work successfully than did Mr Howe who did not play at that level.
Just an idea/ angle I stumbled on.

That being said, maybe highlights the miracle that Mr Howe pulled off in keeping that set of players in the PL for 4, almost 5 seasons....whereas quite a few of his signings didn't produce!
That theory didn't work out to well for Parker at Fulham.... relegation in their first season.
You could name 'quite a few' signings from every manager that didn't work out...... Eddie's record of getting things right in the transfer market is as good as anyone's.

Besides selling Danjuma for a reported £21.3 million, we also sold Rico for a reported €1million and Surridge for a reported £5.5 million.

We also got a reported further sell on fee for Rambo - £1 million - £2million?

Plus, besides Begovic's alleged huge wages, Wilshere was also moved on which I would imagine would also have resulted in a fair amount of wage saving as well!

Add that lot up and it seems that our transfer fee spending seems to pale into relative insignificance!

Edited to fix that Rico transfer fee lol! - although that fee is ridiculously 'cheap' if true!

Last edited:
The Rico transfer fee was more like between £1-2m.

Sam Surridge was reported as being about £2.5m down, potentially rising to £5.5m.

There's a lot of money at stake and people make money from carrying out credible research on this.

https://www.capology.com/salary-database/

The club's total wage bill is in the public domain so it's fairly straightforward to check if the aggregate figures add up. Not sure why you'd take such an issue with this tbh.
So Norwich in the EPL pay their players less than we do in the Championship with a 22 million annal payroll
Delia Smith must be making some good money.

So Norwich in the EPL pay their players less than we do in the Championship with a 22 million annal payroll
Delia Smith must be making some good money.

No, not at all. Since Delia and her husband, Michael Wynn-Jones, took over in 1996, they haven't made that much out of the club. Often, they have been in a minus. In the early naughties, pre-Paul Lambert, Norwich dropped to the Third Division and owed about £26 million. Each of those 26,000,000 quids was backed by Delia and her husband. If the shít had hit the fan, her fortune would have been wiped out overnight. During that period, a couple of times, Delia and Michael Wynn-Jones had to pop into the ground with a cheque for well in excess of a million to keep the club afloat. It took Norwich seven years to fully satisfy all the debts from that period.

Don't expect Norwich to get in that mire again in the near future. Although Delia and her husband are 80 and have no children. What comes after them?

Norwich are a financially sustainable club (think Sunderland, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Wigan, Forest, Derby, Ipswich, The Wendies, etc.). Norwich City is a publicly listed company. It should be possible to check everything.

Delia and MWJ are truly what you might call beneficial owners.

Last edited:
Thanks for an informative explanation Erik. But I am shocked and disappointed by your final sentence. Surely you mean beneficent owners? Beneficial ownership is a completely different thing.

Thanks for an informative explanation Erik. But I am shocked and disappointed by your final sentence. Surely you mean beneficent owners? Beneficial ownership is a completely different thing.
Christ, don't you start going all Bamber Gascoigne on us.

;