Stats 23/24

Christie had most touches with 73 followed by Tavernier with 68. Tavernier had most touches in the opposition half (50) and in the final third with 42. This is second this season only to his own record of 50 at Spurs.

Touches.png

We had 31 touches in the opposition’s penalty area with Solanke having 9, Tavernier 7 and Kluivert 6.

Pen Area Touches.png

Christie attempted 47 passes. Christie attempted most in the opposition’s half (25) followed by Tavernier with 24, with Tavernier attempting most in the final third with 19. We averaged 72% completion, with only Cook, Mepham and Solanke being over 80% or over, from the starting eleven.

All passes.pngPass Opp Half.png

AFCB attempted 18 crosses, being successful with 3, 2 from Brooks and 1 from Tavernier. Against a Van Dijk and Konate, the fact we succeeded less than normal was not unexpected.

Crossing.png

Our players tried to take on a man 34 times being successful 17 times. Brooks was successful 3 times from 4 and Sinisterra 3 times from 5.

Take Ons.png

We created 9 chances (2 big, provided by Brooks and Christie). Liverpool created 13 chances with three big.

Chances Created.png
We had 11 attempts (two big for Brooks and Moore) noting that chances can be provided after saves, deflections or a defensive error and not created. We hit the target once. Liverpool had 14 attempts, three big, and hit the target 7 times. Kluivert had 3 shots (our highest number).

Attempts.png

Hill made most defensive actions with 16 despite playing less than an hour. Christie made most interceptions and joint most recoveries with Tavernier, Hill made most clearances and Hill, Mepham and Zabarnyi made one block each.

IRCB.png

According to Opta, AFCB made no errors leading to chances or goals.

The foul count was AFCB 9, Liverpool 12. Cook and Mepham made most fouls (2) and Aarons was fouled the most (3).

Fouls.png

The Opta expected goals had Brooks (0.51) as most likely to score for AFCB with Moore (0.41) next. For assists, Christie (0.26) and Tavernier (0.16) were our only players above 0.10.

View attachment 13097
As always, thanks Matt for the effort that goes in to producing these stats. It does show just how ruthless the top teams are when it comes to finishing.

Thanks for all the work you put in to these stats Matt, I appreciate it ( even if I'm not sure what it is that I'm looking at) : )
Out of interest does anyone recall last seasons stats for the same fixture. I feel it might be similar to this season's : )

Last edited:
Thanks for all the work you put in to these stats Matt, I appreciate it ( even if I'm not sure it is that I'm looking at) : )
Out of interest does anyone recall last seasons stats for the same fixture. I feel it might be similar to this season's : )
Last season xG was 0.9 for us, 1.7 for them. I think penalties are rated about 0.8, so aside from Salah's miss it was very even.
N. B.: I am quoting data published by FBREF, which uses Opta xG figures, and those are the "Alternative xG Source" Matt listed above.

Last season xG was 0.9 for us, 1.7 for them. I think penalties are rated about 0.8, so aside from Salah's miss it was very even.
N. B.: I am quoting data published by FBREF, which uses Opta xG figures, and those are the "Alternative xG Source" Matt listed above.
Just to explain the 2 sources, I haven't got access to Opta stats by minute, which is why I'm using Understat for the timeline.

Although it is interesting to see the variations in the different algorithms.

I've quickly extracted some figures.

This season we have scored 28 goals and conceded 39.

Opta predicted 28.7 goals and 33.5 conceded (net absolute error 6.6)
Understat predicted 31.5 goals and 35.9 conceded (net absolute error 6.2)

So both seem to have roughly the same error but understat generally predicts more goals.

And both say we've been on the end of some clinical finishing - Man City Away and Liverpool Home spring to mind.

And both say we've been on the end of some clinical finishing - Man City Away and Liverpool Home spring to mind.
Those two teams are ranked 1 and 4, respectively, in today's Opta power rankings. Bournemouth is at 60, down 10 places from the previous list.

The xG still came out at a pretty good level compare to the early season. We were up against the best defense in the Premier League.

1705948920354.png
The xGA looks a little elevated compared to recent matches against lesser sides, but statistically it is also consistent with the results for the improved AFCB.

1705949032193.png

The formation shows that Aarons (37) played nearly as high as Sinisterra (17) with a bank of four in midfield with Aarons, Sinisterra, Cook (4) and Christie (10). Kluivert (19) was high with he and Tavernier (16) providing support to Solanke (9). The first sub was like for like at left back (although Kelly (5) played higher than Hill (23), Scott (14) came on for Sinisterra with Kluivert moving more to the left. In the 69th minute Brooks (7) came on for Kluivert, with Tavernier moving top the left. In the final change Moore replaced Solanke (presumably not wanting to risk an injury as the game was gone at 3-0 and Philip (29) came on for Cook.

View attachment 13084

Shows how hard Sinisterra worked in the first half alone tracking back to cover their number 84. Makes the formation look like we were playing a back three with wingbacks

I only found out about this feature of the Opta web site the other day. It's a very cool interactive tool to examine a match. I like the "Pass Map" portion in particular.

Here is the xG from a game of few chances. AFCB took the lead early following Phillips’ mistake allowing Solanke to hit it first time into a largely unguarded net (rated 35% which seems very low). The next 30 minutes were relatively quiet (xGs of 0.02 for W Ham and 0.16 for AFCB). Semenyo then had a big chance being slid in by Solanke (rated 2 in 5) but his shot was too close to Areola. Three minutes later, W Ham had their first real chance with Bowen’s skimmed header being saved. (rated 1 in 3). On the stroke of half-time Semenyo had another chance (1 in 11) tipped over. At the interval the xG was W Ham 0.40 and AFCB 1.00. The second half was quite dull, with AFCB creating only 3 half chances and W Ham likewise apart from the penalty in the 60th minute. The surprise was that the ref didn’t give it directly but went to VAR instead. Ward-Prowse put it down the centre (76%) to equalise. This large rating swung the final xGs which were W Ham 1.31 AFCB 1.13, with Opta having it as W Ham 1.39 and AFCB 1.20. A 1-1 result appears fair.

xG timeline.png

The average positions show that AFCB players were pushing relatively high with only the back 4 and Cook (4) being in our own half. There’s nothing remarkable about the remaining positions although when he came on Kluivert (19) was the furthest forward. Sinisterra (17) coming on meant Tavernier (16) moving across. Kerkez (3) was a like for like swap with Kelly (5) the same with Faivre (8) replacing Tavernier.

Av Pos.png

;