Stats 23/24

Christie had most touches in total (80), whilst Tavernier had highest in the opposition half (57) the second highest total this season, and in the final third with 41.

Touches.png
AFCB had 31 touches in the opposition’s penalty area with Solanke having 7 and Sinisterra having 5 despite only playing 30 minutes.

Pen Area Touches.png

Senesi attempted 64 passes and Cook 60. Cook attempted most in the opposition’s half (29) followed by Tavernier with 28, the latter making most in the final third with 23. We averaged 77% completion, with only Scott of starting players having a record better than 85% with 94%. Kluivert was only successful in 3 of 8 passes whilst Faivre made 5 of 5.

All passes.pngPass Opp Half.png

AFCB attempted 13 crosses, being successful with 3 (Scott only completed 1 in 7).

Crossing.png

Our players tried to take on a man 19 times being successful 7 times. Christie was successful 3 out of 3 attempts and Solanke 2 from 3.

Take Ons.png

AFCB created 7 chances (1 big, Semenyo’s shot at Areola). W Ham created 7 chances with one big (Bowen’s flicked header).

Chances Created.png

We had 9 attempts (two big) noting that chances can be provided after saves, deflections or a defensive error and not created, which is a season high. We hit the target 4 times. W Ham had 9 attempts, 2 big, and hit the target 3 times.

Attempts.png

Christie made most defensive actions with 23 the second highest of the season after Cook’s 26 at Man Utd. Christie made most interceptions (4), recoveries (15) and joint most clearances (4) with Senesi. Kerkez, Senesi and Zabarnyi each made a block.

IRCB.png

According to Opta, AFCB made no errors leading to a goal or chance. Meaning that fouls that give away penalties aren't counted as errors

The foul count was AFCB 11, W Ham 12. Christie and Kelly made most fouls (3). Christie, Cook and Scott were fouled the most (2).

Fouls.png

The Opta expected goals had Solanke (0.53) as most likely to score for AFCB with Semenyo (0.40) next. For assists, Tavernier (0.10) was the only player in double figures although I don’t understand why the value for Solanke who set up Semenyo is so low.

xG and xA.png

Here is the xG from a game of few chances. AFCB took the lead early following Phillips’ mistake allowing Solanke to hit it first time into a largely unguarded net (rated 35% which seems very low). The next 30 minutes were relatively quiet (xGs of 0.02 for W Ham and 0.16 for AFCB). Semenyo then had a big chance being slid in by Solanke (rated 2 in 5) but his shot was too close to Areola. Three minutes later, W Ham had their first real chance with Bowen’s skimmed header being saved. (rated 1 in 3). On the stroke of half-time Semenyo had another chance (1 in 11) tipped over. At the interval the xG was W Ham 0.40 and AFCB 1.00. The second half was quite dull, with AFCB creating only 3 half chances and W Ham likewise apart from the penalty in the 60th minute. The surprise was that the ref didn’t give it directly but went to VAR instead. Ward-Prowse put it down the centre (76%) to equalise. This large rating swung the final xGs which were W Ham 1.31 AFCB 1.13, with Opta having it as W Ham 1.39 and AFCB 1.20. A 1-1 result appears fair.

View attachment 13181

Their chance just before 40 minutes is a funny one because it was a good chance but you'd also think their offside player in front of the keeper would have been adjudged to be interfering, which I assume would have meant it would have been struck off xG stats if he'd scored?

A point away at West Ham keeps us about 5 points ahead of a 40-point pace:
1706884372607.png
I'm looking for a big home win on Sunday to boost our home points beyond our away total. That would be 4 points from Block 4, not a bad harvest considering how those fixtures looked at the beginning of this season. Fifty points is not out of reach given continued performances at our recent level.

Their chance just before 40 minutes is a funny one because it was a good chance but you'd also think their offside player in front of the keeper would have been adjudged to be interfering, which I assume would have meant it would have been struck off xG stats if he'd scored?
I expect so, as the other good chance we created last night, when Tavernier shot at the keeper, got chalked off for offside earlier in the move. The one that bugs me is Lewis-Potter's one at Brentford that would have been flagged offside if it had gone in (and was rated 0.5) but because he missed was still in the stats.

I saw the table based on xG this morning and we'd be in 11th, (10th if you take 10 points off Everton) so we aren't over-achieving which is good to know.

Capture.png

This xG series shows us still operating around an improved average of 1.8:
1706885086276.png
I am looking for an outburst against Forest and an attacking confidence boost.
The xGA (xGc if you like) continues around the improved level of 1.1:
1706885199966.png
As Matt pointed out, the last point on this chart is mostly the result of West Ham being awarded a penalty. I thought our defensive performance was better than this figure suggests.

Excellent stats as always, thanks.

Just a suggestion (not to take away from my thanks), for all the stats which have a % success rate, could you show them as a stacked bar - I think it would be easier to get the meaning.

Excellent stats as always, thanks.

Just a suggestion (not to take away from my thanks), for all the stats which have a % success rate, could you show them as a stacked bar - I think it would be easier to get the meaning.
Ok - I'll have a look into changing it for the Forest stats.

Here is the xG from the N Forest game that sounded awful on the radio. This appears to be supported by the lack of big chances (just 1 for Kluivert’s tap in). We went ahead early with Sinisterra flicking on a Cook corner that was going in (rated 0.06) before Kluivert touched it home on the line (only rated 0.81, which seems low). That was pretty much it in for our chances for the game beyond some scrappy half chances. Forest offered little more having a 1 in 7 chance from Awonyi in the 15th minute. However just before the break the fall fell for Hudson-Odoi after AFCB missed three chances to clear the ball and he finished well (1 in 30). At half time the xG was AFCB 0.99 N Forest 0.40). The second half was poor with only an effort from Tavernier in the 71st minute being 1 in 10 or greater. Despite AFCB going down to 10 men in the 83rd minute, N Forest only managed 1 attempt at goal which was a 1 in 50 chance from Gibbs-White. The final xG was AFCB 1.19 N Forest 0.46. Opta had the game as slightly better with xGs of 1.27 and 0.53 respectively.

xG timeline.png

The formation shows that Smith (15) and Kelly (5) played as high as Cook (4) and Christie (10). Kluivert (19) was the furthest forward with Sinisterra (17) and Solanke (9) either side. The first sub was like for like at right wing with Tavernier (16) coming on for Semenyo who had had a knock. The second change was Scott (14) for an injured Christie (10) and Philip (29) coming on for Kluivert who was dangerously close to a second yellow. Philip’s average position suggests he was more a central midfielder than a No 10 role. Ouattara (11) replaced Sinisterra and just before the red card Kerkez (3) came on for Kelly (5). Kerkez’s position was more central, and Ouattara may also have played more defensively once we were down to 10 men.

Av Pos.png

Kelly had most touches with 61 followed by Cook with 59. Sinisterra had most touches in the opposition half (46) and in the final third with 37.

Touches.png

We had 23 touches in the opposition’s penalty area with Sinisterra having 10 and Kluivert 6.

Pen Area Touches.png

Senesi attempted 43 passes. Sinisterra attempted most in the opposition’s half (26)and in the final third with 21. We averaged 69% completion, with no one in the starting eleven having a completion percentage above 80%.

All passes.pngPass Opp Half.png

AFCB attempted 23 crosses, being successful with 3, which is a poor return. Although the goal came from Cook’s corner to Sinisterra.

Crossing.png

Our players tried to take on a man 30 times being successful 10 times. Sinisterra and Tavernier both tried 6 times, Sinisterra successful 3 times and Tavernier once

Take Ons.png

We created 7 chances (1 big, Sinisterra’s goal bound effort). N Forest created 6 chances with none big.

Chances Created.png

We had 9 attempts (one big for Kluivert) noting that chances can be provided after saves, deflections or a defensive error and not created. We hit the target once. N Forest had 8 attempts, none big, and hit the target 6 times. Kluivert and Sinisterra had 3 shots each.

Attempts.png

;