Stats 23/24

We created 9 chances (none big). Man City created 10 chances with two big.

Chances Created.png

We had 13 attempts (one big for Tavernier) noting that chances can be provided after saves, deflections or a defensive error and not created. We hit the target 4 times. Man City had 15 attempts, four big (3 for Haaland), and hit the target 6 times. Solanke and Kerkez had 3 shots each.

Attempts.png

AFCB won 12 of 25 aerials duals. Semenyo won 5 from 7

Aerial.png

AFCB won 23 out of 37 tackles (the latter being a season high). Smith won 4 from 5 and Senesi won 5 from 6.

Tackles.png

Kerkez and Senesi made joint-most defensive actions with 13. Senesi and Zabarnyi made most interceptions (3), Neto made most recoveries (8), Senesi made most clearances (6) and Scott made most blocks (2).

IRCB.png

According to Opta, AFCB made no errors leading to chances or goals.

The foul count was AFCB 14, Man City 6. 5 Bournemouth players made two fouls each, whilst Semenyo was fouled 5 times.

Fouls.png

That’s not true re the first half, I vividly remember a Christie attempt at the end of the half that Ederson partied out before Dom was caught offside.

I have been fooled by Opta listing it in the 47th minute, and I've lazily thought it was in the second half rather than in extra time in the first. I'll do a quick edit - good spot.

This tracker posits zero points against Manchester City (highest rated club in the world) so we remain 4 points to the good against this 40-point pace:
1708913976391.png
We now enter Block 5, and it's not out of the question to be on 40 points when we exit Block 5. We will finish no worse than 13th, mark it down.

Here is the xG timeline for a game that was a tough watch from an AFCB perspective, even though we ended up winning the game. The first clear chance fell to Odobert in the 3rd minute but his shot was comfortable saved by Neto (rated nearly 1 in 5). In the 12th minute AFCB were in front, Cook playing a ball over the top to Kluivert, who outpaced his man, dropped a shoulder and smashed it in. (rated 46%). Burnley were having lots of minor chances, but no big ones until just before the interval, with Vitinho having a header just outside the 6-yard boc, although Fofana behind him may have been better placed (rated 2 in 5). There had been some chances that barely registered on the xG due to good defensive blocks (Taylor stopping Semenyo and Smith blocking from Larsen) and one excellent attempt, a free kick from Larsen that Neto clawed off the line with the free kick rated as 1 in 20. At half time the xG was Burnley 1.23 and AFCB 0.60. The second half was more controlled from an AFCB perspective, although Burnley continued to dominate possession. In the 55th and 56th minutes, Bournemouth had two chances, the first for Solanke where Kluivert’s ball sent him wider than he would have liked (1 in 5) and one for Tavernier which was put into the side netting (1 in 9). 10 minutes later, Burnley thought they had equalised but the goal was disallowed for a push on Smith, who definitely used his experience in making the most of the challenge. If the ref had awarded the goal I doubt it would have been overturned on VAR. The second half had few chances, although AFCB made it 2-0 in the 87th minute with Semenyo’s deflected shot (1 in 20). The second half xG was Burnley 0.29, AFCB 0.50, with the match xG being Burnley 1.53, AFCB 1.10. Understat had it slightly closer, but also thought Burnley had the higher value.

xG timeline.png

The average positions almost show a 2-1-4-3 formation with Christie (10) slightly ahead of the two centre backs and the full backs, Smith (15) and Kerkez (3) as high and Cook (4). However, Christie’s position may have been influenced by coming off at half time and AFCB playing higher in the second half. Kluivert (19) was deeper than normal and nearer to Cook. The first sub (on 12 minutes) saw Mepham (6) replace the injured Senesi (25) but playing the same positionally. At half time Scott (14) replaced Christie, who had been unwell in the week, but he played further towards the right. On 73 minutes Philip (29) replaced Kluivert, and also played more towards the right. This suggests that we had 4 men, Smith, Philip, Scott and Semenyo (24) all near the right flank which I didn’t pick up on the tv. Having gone 2-0 up, Kerkez and Solanke (9) were replaced in the 89th minute with Ouattara (11) who played high, and Unal (26).

Av Pos.png

In contrast with normal games when the centre backs have most touches, Semenyo and Tavernier had most touches in total (46). Tavernier had the highest number of touches in the opposition half (27) and in the final third with 19.

Touches.png

AFCB had 17 touches in the opposition’s penalty area. Tavernier had 5, and Semenyo and Kluivert 4 each.

Pen Area Touches.png

Neto attempted most passes with 29. The 200 passes attempted (114 successful) was our lowest of the season, before that it was the 178 (103) at Burnley. Semenyo attempted most in the opposition’s half 14 whilst Solanke and Tavernier had joint-most in the final third with 7. We averaged 57% completion, the lowest of the season, again behind Burnley (65%)

Kluivert at 75% (6 from 8 passes) was the only starting player at 75% or higher., Neto, Solanke and Smith all had values below 40%. At times it did look like a practice game where one team had to give the ball back to the opposition.

All passes.png

Pass Opp Half.png

AFCB attempted 9 crosses, being successful with 2 from Cook and Kerkez.

Crossing.png

Our players tried to take on a man 10 times being successful 6 times. Tavernier was 2 from 2.

Take Ons.png

AFCB created 8 chances (2 big). Burnley created 14 chances with two big.

Chances Created.png

We had 10 attempts (2 big) noting that chances can be provided after saves, deflections or a defensive error and not created. We hit the target twice. Burnley had 20 attempts, 2 big, and hit the target 5 times.

Attempts.png

AFCB won 22 of 46 aerials duals. Solanke won 6 of 10, and Cook 3 from 5. Semenyo was less effective than normal winning 3 from 12

Aerial.png

AFCB won 20 of 29 tackles. Tavernier won 7 from 8.

Tackles.png

Kerkez made most defensive actions with 13. He made the most interceptions (2), Cook made most recoveries (6). Kerkez and Zabarnyi made most clearances (7 each) and Zabanyi made most blocks (2).

IRCB.png

According to Opta, AFCB made no errors leading to a goal or chance.

The foul count was AFCB 13, Burnley 8. Cook made most fouls (3). Smith and Solanke were fouled the most (2).

Fouls.png

Those are some of the most interesting stats of the season. So it was apparently all by design and, well, it came off. Similar to the second half at Palace where is was complete gross to watch yet everyone goes home happy. Fair play to the manager.

Tav's got some interesting numbers there:

3rd most passes outside of the back line, with the (I think) greatest success rate
2nd highest xG
most tackles with best success rate
most successful full take ons and success rate
most touches in the opposition penalty area
most crosses (but they all failed)
joint most touches overall

Automated scoring has him as the worst player clocking more that 45 minutes, commentary on Solent less than complimentary and didn't look great when watching live.

Tav's got some interesting numbers there:

3rd most passes outside of the back line, with the (I think) greatest success rate
2nd highest xG
most tackles with best success rate
most successful full take ons and success rate
most touches in the opposition penalty area
most crosses (but they all failed)
joint most touches overall

Automated scoring has him as the worst player clocking more that 45 minutes, commentary on Solent less than complimentary and didn't look great when watching live.
Good extraction.

He didn't have the best tackling success rate (as Cook, Mepham, Ouattara and Zabarnyi all had 100%). Pass completion is hard to decipher, See below. But all the rest are correct.

I'm pleased he's still putting himself forward for free kicks, we just need a goal to go in to get his confidence back. He also put in the cross that Taylor just beat Semenyo to, which prevented a tap in.

Capture.png

I missed Christie's low value on my write up!

;