Steve Cook

I don’t think that’s the case. On merit he was always ahead of Mepham. He wasn’t playing for other reasons, which I simply don’t get.

If the club wanted him out due to being one of the last remaining high earners, then that’s a business decision. Once the transfer window had closed and he was still our player until January at the earliest, then his lack of selection was for other reasons. The club have been forced into selecting him again due to the injuries to Kelly and Cahill. Whoever was making that choice to leave him in cold now looks very foolish, but at least common sense prevailed eventually.

Our defensive cover on the bench looked exposed even before the injuries so cook imho should have been in the squad esp as, without any left back cover, we could move to 3 at the back with wingbacks if we suffered in-match injuries.

the cost of cook’s wages now from January to may isn’t that high if we want to make sure of promotion. But maybe that performance has secured a decent transfer in January?

Weird one, can't work out if he'd be a good signing or not for a lower PL side these days.

Can't imagine fans of clubs would be overly excited by signing him...

Much as I love Cookie, those latter couple years in the PL did really start to catch up with him. His warrior attitude does more at this level. Would like him to stay if at all possible, but if he does move another Champ club is his level (although we wouldn't want to strengthen a league table rival).

Seems like Steve could well be on his way out, aside from the immediate disappointment that he has proved he more than an able back up this season it’ll be the end of an era. 10 years at any football club is hard to achieve, over 360 appearances spanning 3 different leagues is amazing. The guy is the ultimate professional, has been a fantastic captain and servant.

Gutted we can’t give him a decent send off if he does go, unless a later dated testimonial can take place?

Seems like Steve could well be on his way out, aside from the immediate disappointment that he has proved he more than an able back up this season it’ll be the end of an era. 10 years at any football club is hard to achieve, over 360 appearances spanning 3 different leagues is amazing. The guy is the ultimate professional, has been a fantastic captain and servant.

Gutted we can’t give him a decent send off if he does go, unless a later dated testimonial can take place?

agree with everything you've said....possibly bar the word servant!

Completely agree. I still don’t quite get “it”. Him being frozen out during the earlier part of the season only for an embarrassing u-turn to not only pick him but see him put in a man of the match performance and a couple of block sequences which will make every single highlight reel of the season.

Even last night, Cook makes that starting XI, whatever we are recouping/saving by booting him out, was it really worth risking results - past and present - which could see us earn promotion (and take hundreds of millions).

Completely agree. I still don’t quite get “it”. Him being frozen out during the earlier part of the season only for an embarrassing u-turn to not only pick him but see him put in a man of the match performance and a couple of block sequences which will make every single highlight reel of the season.

Even last night, Cook makes that starting XI, whatever we are recouping/saving by booting him out, was it really worth risking results - past and present - which could see us earn promotion (and take hundreds of millions).

It’s not as if he’s come in and been average, he walked into the side and been brilliant, I mean that double block against Fulham - incredible. I would love him to hang around until the end of the season, not just for sentimental sake he’s got so much to offer us but as you say, he wasn’t in the team last night and that obviously speaks volumes.

Not sure I'd say it was embarrassing. Decision made for professional/financial reasons - not part of Parkers plans. He only played due to be several stretched injury wise. I'm not holding it against Parker.

I think it is a big reason.
At the start of the season Parker was told that only one of the 4 mega wage players could stay. Lerma was chosen, partly because of contract length and the fact he didn’t want to leave, and Danjuma, Begovic and Cook were reluctantly told they could go.

Cook had a deal lined up but it fell through . I think it’s right that Parker didn’t choose to build a side around someone who wasn’t staying in Jan and also the club couldn’t risk playing him, injuring him and paying him 3m to sit on a treatment table. Then injuries got so bad he came back into the fold and was outstanding.

Even with that level of performance I kind of get it, and I speak as someone who always loved Cookie even when a lot on here were questionning his ability to play PL football. Once the decision was taken at board level we couldn’t have four 3m plus earners those players had to go. Plus we all would have picked Lerma out of those four.

His behaviour through the whole thing has been exemplary and I hope he has a brilliant last knock somewhere big. Newcastle?

At the start of the season Parker was told that only one of the 4 mega wage players could stay. Lerma was chosen, partly because of contract length and the fact he didn’t want to leave, and Danjuma, Begovic and Cook were reluctantly told they could go.

Cook had a deal lined up but it fell through . I think it’s right that Parker didn’t choose to build a side around someone who wasn’t staying in Jan and also the club couldn’t risk playing him, injuring him and paying him 3m to sit on a treatment table. Then injuries got so bad he came back into the fold and was outstanding.

Even with that level of performance I kind of get it, and I speak as someone who always loved Cookie even when a lot on here were questionning his ability to play PL football. Once the decision was taken at board level we couldn’t have four 3m plus earners those players had to go. Plus we all would have picked Lerma out of those four.

His behaviour through the whole thing has been exemplary and I hope he has a brilliant last knock somewhere big. Newcastle?

Well put, we have a top budget for this level, but still can't afford to keep everyone. Plus Cahill brought in. Someone who Parker clearly fancies a better fit/player for what he wants to achieve.

Newcastle signing him though? Although not totally unrealistic, that would be embarrassing... for them.

Well put, we have a top budget for this level, but still can't afford to keep everyone. Plus Cahill brought in. Someone who Parker clearly fancies a better fit/player for what he wants to achieve.

Newcastle signing him though? Although not totally unrealistic, that would be embarrassing... for them.

Have you watched their current back line?

It's another indictment of last seasons failure that he won't now make the all time top three appearance makers for us. He should have.

Very sad to see him go but only wish him the best of luck.

Unless he goes to Burnley, Watford, Brighton or Southampton.

It's another indictment of last seasons failure that he won't now make the all time top three appearance makers for us. He should have.

Very sad to see him go but only wish him the best of luck.

Unless he goes to Burnley, Watford, Brighton or Southampton.
If playing time is what he’s after I’d be very surprised if he moves to the PL.

;