Steve Cook

I understand. The point I was making was that all of the players I listed will still be under contract when the parachute payments run out. Why would the club do this if we knew we were so dependent on them?
The difference is Steve Cook wants to secure a deal for his family and isn’t on one come the summer and we didn’t want to pay someone 3m to sit on the bench. The other players various reasons……. some are here longer, some were more likely to play when we signed them, some have sell on value so less risk of being lumbered with them etc etc.

Im not shy at criticising the club as you well know but don’t think they have done anything wrong here!

Just as well, anyone who disagrees with you is usually insulted.
You call it a a discussion or a debate. That’s funny as well.
Lol funny how you never respond to the likes of CherryBare and NewForrest Cherry when they are throwing out their regular insults… so you are willing to take the moral high ground but not when it’s a member of your little clique? Or perhaps you just single me out because I make myself an easy target with my outspoken opinions. Either way, you should surely hold others to the same standards you hold me to?

The difference is Steve Cook wants to secure a deal for his family and isn’t on one come the summer and we didn’t want to pay someone 3m to sit on the bench. The other players various reasons……. some are here longer, some were more likely to play when we signed them, some some have sell on value so less risk of being lumbered with them etc etc.

Im not shy at criticising the club as you well know but don’t think they have done anything wrong here!
Fair enough, I can accept all of that reasoning.

Reading pay Drinkwater 100k a week. Not sure what your point it unless it’s to say that over night all championship sides have become financially prudent. If you are right this is excellent news.
This seems highly improbable given the transfer restrictions placed on Reading by the EFL and the points deduction. Local Reading press suggested that Chelsea were covering all or almost all of Drinkwater's wages.

You call it a clique.
There are quite a few who disagree with your comments, it’s more often you’re over the top reactions that get normal posters going.
I think you’ll find if you look back it’s you who starts the insult exchange, It’s got to the stage where posters think you’re a troll or fan of another team. I actually don’t.

Norwich should be interested, they are letting in so many goals.
I know its only a ploy by them so that they can go up again next season.

Reds fans, however, are pointing out that signing Cook would be a huge contradiction to the transfer policy declared by Forest chief executive Dane Murphy last summer.

Under Murphy the Reds have tried to reduce the average age of the squad, something that would be opposed if they were to sign 30-year-old Cook.

Speaking in September 2021, Murphy said: “The three objectives set in July were to reduce the age of the squad, reduce the size of the squad and, in doing so, reduce cost.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor.../nottingham-forest-transfer-news-cook-6412634

As we saw last night Mepham represents a more solid option alongside Cahill or Kelly than Steve. He deserves a final move at this stage of his career to secure playing time and security. Whether we go up or not we need to develop the likes of Ibsen Rossi as well giving Scott the chance to snap up someone of potential if the situation occurs in the future.

It is truly laughable that we have factions on here arguing the toss about what Cook's salary is and that it is far too high for us to be paying him. For one does anyone in the public realm actually know for certain what his current salary is? Is it in the public domain? I genuinely don't know, most personally negotiated contracts are between the employer, employee and HMRC. Even if it is a publicly known fact what his salary is, it's not any of our business, we're not (directly) the ones paying it. It's for the club's owner and maybe financial director/board to decide whether or not he is worth it. FWIW if it were my financial decision I'd want to keep him here til the end of his career whatever the cost because he is surely worth it. There has been no player more committed to our cause in my memory, he still has a lot to offer as a player as was seen at Fulham and he is a great ambassador for the club. What's more Cahill is only here for this season and if rumours are to be believed, we sell Kelly, come next season we are going to be well in the mire with only Mepham and Zeno as CBs. All the time while Cook might be strengthening a rival's squad! It is absolutely ludicrous to let him go, renegotiate a contract in line with what any rival might realistically offer him by all means but keep him we must.

It is truly laughable that we have factions on here arguing the toss about what Cook's salary is and that it is far too high for us to be paying him. For one does anyone in the public realm actually know for certain what his current salary is? Is it in the public domain? I genuinely don't know, most personally negotiated contracts are between the employer, employee and HMRC. Even if it is a publicly known fact what his salary is, it's not any of our business, we're not (directly) the ones paying it. It's for the club's owner and maybe financial director/board to decide whether or not he is worth it. FWIW if it were my financial decision I'd want to keep him here til the end of his career whatever the cost because he is surely worth it. There has been no player more committed to our cause in my memory, he still has a lot to offer as a player as was seen at Fulham and he is a great ambassador for the club. What's more Cahill is only here for this season and if rumours are to be believed, we sell Kelly, come next season we are going to be well in the mire with only Mepham and Zeno as CBs. All the time while Cook might be strengthening a rival's squad! It is absolutely ludicrous to let him go, renegotiate a contract in line with what any rival might realistically offer him by all means but keep him we must.
Every club is a selling club. We might get someone as good as Kelly.

Every club is a selling club. We might get someone as good as Kelly.
Agree with that Rob. But at least it looks as if we are not actively looking to sell, which I would hope we are not doing with any players bar Cook considering the strong league position we are in.
Although I believe the expert on here predicts a mid table finish. Lol.

To suggest its ludicrous is extreme. Every player has a value to the club, one which you'd hope has been calculated by the managers/directors at the club. Although we have a healthy financial backing at this level (I imagine), we can't sign everyone in sight. So Christie deal may not have happened unless we unloaded/unload next window certain higher earners, such as Cook.

We may not know his exact salary, but we can make a ballpark estimate going by all the data thats out there. Its safe to say he;s not on 10k or 60k a week though :) My guess would be 25k to 40k a week - probably somewhere in the middle of that.

Last edited:
W
Yeah, although like otherscsay Howe likes to bring in people he's worked with, but still, Cook seems a real stretch here. They'll have a very healthy pool of players to choose from, even in January, what with their budget.

Cook will appear desperate and not do Howes credentials any favours amongst most in the football world.

Despite his grit/determination, I can't see him having much of an impact on the Newcastle players, in the same why Cahill has here. Not like his career will give him respect immediately amongst toon squad.He's a fairly limited CB going downhill at the tail end of his career.

Why would he appear desperate? To me, he would just be accepting an opportunity. I still think QPR would be a good fit, though.

Agree with that Rob. But at least it looks as if we are not actively looking to sell, which I would hope we are not doing with any players bar Cook considering the strong league position we are in.
Although I believe the expert on here predicts a mid table finish. Lol.

Exactly. All about the timing. Now isn't the time to cash in.

Where have I said that Forest will pay Cook 60k? You keep saying they won’t, I’ve never said they have. I’ve said we don’t know what his team are prepared to accept

The point is he is on his final big contract hunt. Other clubs will be able to offer him more than we will offer any new player on a long term deal. Even if that is half what he is on we won’t write contracts like that any more. Cahill and Brady are on good money but less than Cook but our safety net is they are on 1 year and 6 months deals respectively. Else they wouldn’t be here. Our contracts in situ are legacy contracts. We won’t be signing new contracts like that.

Watford would offer Cook good money if they go for him.

;