Summer transfers

With all the talk about how poor our window has been, I thought I'd compare our business to what I thought we needed at the start of this thread:

Overall, that leaves us with a shopping list of a starting RWF, a rotational AM, 2x CBs, a starting RB, rotational LB, and, of course, a back-up keeper. So 7 signings in all, a couple of which could be loans.

So,
Starting RWF - ?? (Perhaps Tavernier and/or Rothwell fill this slot)
Backup AM - Rothwell
2x CBs - Senesi and Stephens
Starting RB - Fredericks
Backup LB - Tavernier
Backup GK - Neto

Obviously we can argue about the quality, but based on what I thought we needed beforehand, I don't think we've done too badly, given our financial constraints. All just my opinion, obviously.

With all the talk about how poor our window has been, I thought I'd compare our business to what I thought we needed at the start of this thread:

So,
Starting RWF - ?? (Perhaps Tavernier and/or Rothwell fill this slot)
Backup AM - Rothwell
2x CBs - Senesi and Stephens
Starting RB - Fredericks
Backup LB - Tavernier
Backup GK - Neto

Obviously we can argue about the quality, but based on what I thought we needed beforehand, I don't think we've done too badly, given our financial constraints. All just my opinion, obviously.

Excellent summary

My issue was really we needed the two centre backs in July and not after season started

I think it's no coincidence that we were poor when Solanke wasn't in the team.

Moore is good for the team, but lacks the quality and speed to be a lone front man.

Problem when we were playing Moore upfront it was a high ball, lumped up to him hoping he could get it under control and fend off a couple of PL defenders.

The ball wasn't often that accurate and it inevitably meant we would lose possession and turn attack to defense.....rinse repeat.

Solanke can play the channels because he has speed, can hold the ball up better because it's already on the ground.

No slight on Moore, but he isn't a starter on his own at this level up top, without a speedier player to play alongside with.

We really need to keep Solanke fit, and due to one reason or another we do not have anyone like him as a back up should he be unable to play going forward.

Moore is good for the team, but lacks the quality and speed to be a lone front man.

Problem when we were playing Moore upfront it was a high ball, lumped up to him hoping he could get it under control and fend off a couple of PL defenders.

The ball wasn't often that accurate and it inevitably meant we would lose possession and turn attack to defense.....rinse repeat.

Solanke can play the channels because he has speed, can hold the ball up better because it's already on the ground.

No slight on Moore, but he isn't a starter on his own at this level up top, without a speedier player to play alongside with.

We really need to keep Solanke fit, and due to one reason or another we do not have anyone like him as a back up should he be unable to play going forward.
Agree, Moore is a good player but he needs a strike partner to be effective. Dom is the only player we have who can play that lone forward role, it’s what makes him our most important player. The team struggled to function from an attacking perspective without him in it.

Yeah Moore seems better placed as an impact sub the way we play at present.

Yes. Also doesn't have the fitness of other players. Plus, his vulnerability to injury means it is better if he doesn't play the full 90 I think.
Yes. Also doesn't have the fitness of other players. Plus, his vulnerability to injury means it is better if he doesn't play the full 90 I think.

He isn't vulnerable to injury.

He had his foot stomped on and broke a metatarsal.

Stanislas would break his wrist opening a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke.

He isn't vulnerable to injury.

He had his foot stomped on and broke a metatarsal.

Stanislas would break his wrist opening a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke.

@DJ any chance we can get other 'reactions' to posts in this forum. I'm a member of a couple of others that have thumbs up, funny/laughing, sad and 'poo' emojis. Sad I know but could add to the 'experience' :D.

Playing Moore up front on his own reminded me of when Eddie did it with Glen Murray.
It rendered a good player completely ineffective.
Some players just need a strike partner, especially a big target man. Chris Wood is an example of this, very good for Burnley for a number of years, looks totally out of his depth at Newcastle because they stick him up front on his own. Moore needs someone in and around him to link and combine with, no point in hitting it to him when he doesn’t have anybody around him. Plan B strikers are okay, but you can’t just stick them in the team and expect them to perform the role of the plan A striker.

;