Taking The Knee

We have players from all sorts of backgrounds and we don't know what their individual thoughts on the matter are. But if our players wish individually, or as group come to a consensus, that it's something they want to do - then I can respect that. And if not, then that's ok too, as it shouldn't be mandatory.

and this too. If anyone objects for any reason and doesn't want to join in, then let that's fine. It should be a personal choice and not an empty gesture although I'll try and not mention poppies and James McLean.. (Oops. I mentioned it ;-) )

you see it everywhere now tbh. when that lorry killed 80 in Nice you had people right after recording on their phones while the injured still needed help.

One of the worst takes in all of this is the idea that the onlookers to George Floyd's murder are somehow to blame for not stepping in to try and stop the police that are murdering him. The guy was literally being murdered by armed police who clearly had no problem killing people for no reason let alone someone who approached them and tried to physically get them off the bloke.

Also the idea that filming him was in some way wrong.

The best thing those people did was to film what they witnessed. Those police would have completely got away with everything if those people didn't film it. It's the only way of bringing police to book.

The right-wing softies got all upset with one person taking a knee, using his right to protest, in the NFL and now look at it. The NFL has had to backtrack and say they got it wrong, it's only a matter of time before any sensible president would as well, but you just know he'll dig in further like the man-child he is.

Anyway, I don't agree it should be organised and forced to do it. If people want to protest, let them. These pictures of whole football teams doing it just seem a PR stunt to me, would have just been better to stay out of it and let the players do as they see fit.

I'll get slaughtered for this, but........................

While you lot debate the number of angels that you can get on the head of a pin.

Over the past week the world seems to have forgotten that it's not just black lives that matter.

It's all lives that matter.

A bloke was murdered in the street by police while people looked on for 8 fucking minutes.

Society is still broken.

btw.

Police out there have guns, tasers and handcuffs, what is it with the knee?
Looked on? Against the police with their guns, tasers etc? I'm not sure whether you're advocating trying to violently attack the police or what. Either way thats ********************************.

The right-wing softies got all upset with one person taking a knee, using his right to protest, in the NFL and now look at it. The NFL has had to backtrack and say they got it wrong, it's only a matter of time before any sensible president would as well, but you just know he'll dig in further like the man-child he is.

Anyway, I don't agree it should be organised and forced to do it. If people want to protest, let them. These pictures of whole football teams doing it just seem a PR stunt to me, would have just been better to stay out of it and let the players do as they see fit.

Tend to agree with this. These organised BLM taking a knee protests seem to be the new poppy. Mandatory paying of respects is not right no matter how legitimate the cause.

Will the opposing factions in Belfast climb over their divisive walls and go down on one knee Together in front of each others 'murals' for a dual stand against Racism?...
....Will they F√ck!
Why give up several centuries of hate for that !

So take a knee, go on a march, lobby politicians, join peaceful movements, challenge your employer on inequality in the workplace, speak out. Better than signing a bloody change.org petition or clicking like on facebook.

Whole of this was a great post not just the extract, which I picked out because I felt a certain sense of irony as soon as I clicked “like” :)

Will the opposing factions in Belfast climb over their divisive walls and go down on one knee Together in front of each others ' 'murals' for a dual stand against Racism?...
....Will they F√ck!

what has Belfast got to do with it? But yes, actually both factions are quite happy to stand together on issues these days. They even won a Nobel Peace prize for it. Don't try and mix messages.

It's a almighty concern. The extremists amongst the more right wing thinking folk have been waiting for this. As usual any violence makes the headlines. The false pictures doing the rounds has been frustrating. Ditching loads of people on FB. By all means say you disagree. Offer a point of view. Yes some agitators got involved at BLM protests. No denying that. As happens at student protests EDL marches etc. I'm not sure bout taking the knee but as mentioned I wouldn't bow to a royal. The statue debate is tricky. Colston row has been going on years. As for Baden Powell statue no one was interested in that apart from a small website. Then as soon as daily mail gave them publicity all hell breaks loose.

Will the opposing factions in Belfast climb over their divisive walls and go down on one knee Together in front of each others 'murals' for a dual stand against Racism?...
....Will they F√ck!
Seeing as you're "probably the most self-educated person on the planet" I'm surprised that there are questions to which you don't already have the answer. ;);)

what has Belfast got to do with it? But yes, actually both factions are quite happy to stand together on issues these days. They even won a Nobel Peace prize for it. Don't try and mix messages.

So OK I tried to Mix it......but why not take the barriers down and Mix as good 'Nobel prize winners'..in daily life, move forward into a completely new future .....I think many of the young people over there wish to do so.
Belfast people and the NI people in general have so much to offer in terms of skill and innovation. The city is still held back to some degree by the History.

Last edited:
Seeing as you're "probably the most self-educated person on the planet" I'm surprised that there are questions to which you don't already have the answer. ;);)
I do know that occasionally you seem to accept that my strange sense of humour and outbursts just bring out deeper opinions from others...which is what I try to do...
....it all needs to be extracted ...shyness achieves little.

:eek!:

The best people could have done was to stop it happening.

I bet the person who took that footage never has to work again.

Forget "I can't breathe", it's more "I can't believe my luck"
What an idiotic post. Four other police surrounding him and you think they could have stopped him.

Having a structure in place where this sort of thing gets treated seriously might have stopped them.

Of course, had there been no recording then it would have passed and they would have got off.

Looked on? Against the police with their guns, tasers etc? I'm not sure whether you're advocating trying to violently attack the police or what. Either way thats ********************************.

I can't speak for him, but that's not how I interpreted KBG's post. I didn't see it as a dig at the onlookers, but a commentary on the fact that the police were prepared to act that way despite there being people around

And now I've just seen his latest post, so I was completely wrong. Bugger.

:eek!:

The best people could have done was to stop it happening.

I bet the person who took that footage never has to work again.

Forget "I can't breathe", it's more "I can't believe my luck"

You're living in a parallel universe if you think a member of the public was in a position to physically stop armed police from murdering someone. They didn't need an excuse to murder George Floyd and they would have had an excuse to kill anyone coming at them physically.

When it comes to interactions with police people should film everything. You've completely missed the point if you think it's about money.

I can't speak for him, but that's not how I interpreted KBG's post. I didn't see it as a dig at the onlookers, but a commentary on the fact that the police were prepared to act that way despite there being people around

And now I've just seen his latest post, so I was completely wrong. Bugger.
The second KBG post suggests I haven't misinterpreted.

;