Taking The Knee

Isn't the Yaxley- Lennon laddo somewhere in a cushty cell being interviewed by Ross Kemp or Piers Morgan.....prime time hero worship for viewing figures !

Whine whine whine that's me, I'm legendary for it!

You know what, let's do a deal... you watch Two Women One Cup on a loop for one hour and six minutes and I'll risk getting a right wing brainworm from your Tommy video.
a mate showed it to me a few years back, and i'm not sure that's a risk i'm willing to take.

In the First World War, the government decided that all soldiers would be buried where they fell, because they did not want the wealthy to return their dead to the UK whilst the poor could not.
For want of a grave to visit, communities collected money and built memorials where they could mourn and grieve.
In the Second World War, many did not return, and often their names were added for the same reason and purpose.
So why do the majority of us get upset when these memorials are defaced? Because it is effectively a gravestone and if you think it’s cool to deface gravestones then you are beneath our contempt.
Your cause may be worthy, you may think I am part of the problem, but if your answer lies in these kind of actions or you are supportive of them, you’re not part of the problem, you are the problem.

In the First World War, the government decided that all soldiers would be buried where they fell, because they did not want the wealthy to return their dead to the UK whilst the poor could not.
For want of a grave to visit, communities collected money and built memorials where they could mourn and grieve.
In the Second World War, many did not return, and often their names were added for the same reason and purpose.
So why do the majority of us get upset when these memorials are defaced? Because it is effectively a gravestone and if you think it’s cool to deface gravestones then you are beneath our contempt.
Your cause may be worthy, you may think I am part of the problem, but if your answer lies in these kind of actions or you are supportive of them, you’re not part of the problem, you are the problem.

I dont think anyone would arguing defacing war memorials is disgusting.

I liked KBG's initial post because I understood the sentiment. That said he also conceded he would get slaughtered.

If that happened in broad daylight in the UK then yes I'd expect someone to interfere with the arrest, why.. because our cops police by consent and its a million miles away from policing in the US. People trying to draw any parallels are misguided.

What you are seeing are two different cultures which is why I'm struggling with our home grown numpties attacking UK cops and horses. You visit the US and there's no doubt how things stand and that starts at the Immigration desk at whatever airport you rock up at. The place has armed security guards in their Nike shops ffs.

Its a different world. The US police are armed for a reason, the public routinely don't react and get involved in arrests for that very reason and its due to a Glock 19 or whatever their cops carry- I think we all saw that, understandable fear to get involved, something we can't really equate with.

If someone had, I reckon Chauvin would have moved, released the pressure on the carotid artery or whatever hold he was attempting - and we may well not be discussing this whole thing.

This is a fair comment. I'm sure the fact the girl who witnessed Floyd's murder was black also would influence her decision not to try and stand up to these cops.

The funny thing is that the filming of these incidents is what is leading to the proper scrutiny of police. There's no way any of these police would have been brought to book without this evidence in the past. A policeman's word against a witness statement of a 17 year old black kid would only ever have gone one way in the past.

This is a fair comment. I'm sure the fact the girl who witnessed Floyd's murder was black also would influence her decision not to try and stand up to these cops.

The funny thing is that the filming of these incidents is what is leading to the proper scrutiny of police. There's no way any of these police would have been brought to book without this evidence in the past. A policeman's word against a witness statement of a 17 year old black kid would only ever have gone one way in the past.

Yes and to be fair, even filming it for that length of time out there carries a fair bit of risk. Not sure if she was hiding away or not whilst doing it.

She wasn't the only person who witnessed it, quite a few were involved. We have no idea if her skin colour influenced her decision not to stand up to them. I wouldn't expect any 17 year old girl to take on four armed US cops no matter what the colour of her skin.

It's depressing to watch dickheads doing that to war memorials. I would imagine that most people involved in the BLM movement hate the fact that these people have provided an easy out for people to discredit their cause.

I don't particularly agree with defacing statues etc but they are put up as a tribute to a person and if you want to put a traffic cone or lump of turf on their head to show that you don't think that person is all they cracked up to be then fair enough in my book. But vandalising graves is despicable.

That said I've never liked the inscription of "the glorious dead" it seems to me to set completely the wrong tone in relation to what the thing is supposed to symbolise. There is nothing glorious about the deaths of these soldiers.

That said I've never liked the inscription of "the glorious dead" it seems to me to set completely the wrong tone in relation to what the thing is supposed to symbolise. There is nothing glorious about the deaths of these soldiers.

Helps with the sales pitch though, doesn't it.

She wasn't the only person who witnessed it, quite a few were involved. We have no idea if her skin colour influenced her decision not to stand up to them. I wouldn't expect any 17 year old girl to take on four armed US cops no matter what the colour of her skin.

Hasn't this whole movement arisen because black people are telling us that they often fear for their lives when they interact with the police and that they feel their skin colour causes them to be dealt with differently to white people?

Helps with the sales pitch though, doesn't it.

Unfortunately there seems to a lot of people on both sides of the argument who seem hell bent on conflating tributes to the dead with support of the actions of the British army throughout history or with national pride. Politics and national pride should be kept a million miles away from these things.

;