That Third Relegation Spot

Enough of the faux outrage, I don't go round saying it to people with special needs Bill, but in the real world which some of you appear not to live in, insults like this one and others take a wider context of meaning and if you say something unintelligent like that guy did then it's likely you will get an insult of this kind from friends and strangers as punishment for what you've said.

The lesson is try not to say stupid things and then these insults won't come your way. Bit rich coming from some of you, I'm sure you've all got a few skeletons in the closet (some literally).

So you don't actually say it to their face then....all well thats perfectly acceptable isn't it.....i'd imagine you take the same line regarding racism do you?
I've tried to cut you some slack as you're obviously not the sharpest tool but i now realise you just seem to get some kind of perverse pleasure from this....utterly vile.

Cant see Lewis Cook making any difference....we lose as many games with him and Lerma in the team as we do with the others.....people just cant see that can they! I find it quite hilarious how 'stars' get so easily established at our club due to Hype from on this forum! Others get so easily cast in the Scapegoat role.....its quite Incredible!
Or maybe they are just better and you cant see that

If only there was a way to see like getting picked as full internationals for your countries

Each of our midfielders have different strengths. And that isn't a problem as such. Whilst Lerma is probably the closest we have to a 'complete' midfielder, in the modern game most central players stick to specific roles, even the very best midfielders at the very best clubs.

Real Madrid and Barcelona don't play 4-4-2 with two rounded central midfielders doing a bit of everything. It's a case of putting together a central midfield that combines those strengths in such a way to create a complete department.

Cook brings more imagination with his passing and a wider range of passing, than anyone else we have. Surman can do some of that, but Cook naturally takes more risks, and sometimes you need that to unlock an opposition. But sometimes it will result in possession given away and opposition attacks coming at us, directly resulting from Cook's marginally miss-hit attempt at a 40 yard raking ball over the opposition full back.

If you want lots of safe possession and intelligent ball retention, you turn to Surman. If you want lots of running and hassling, you turn to Gosling. Both credible options to have. But there is no doubting that our most gifted central midfielders are Cook and Lerma, and if you picked a full strength side that was setup 4-4-2, especially against a top 6 side (and the formation is a different argument to have) you need to pick Cook and Lerma.

Now how many games have Cook and Lerma played together? Half a dozen perhaps. How many games have Surman and Gosling played together? Scores. So the more experienced pairing will be comfortable and fairly reliable, if somewhat limited especially against the top sides. But we all know they will do the job Eddie asks without any massive screw-ups.

Lerma and Cook would make errors, goals would result from their miscommunication and misplaced passes. But if Eddie insists on a midfield two against better opposition than us, then when everyone is fit he has to risk the best two individuals. And if given enough games together, they would improve as a pair and that reliability gap to Surman and Gosling will be reduced.

In the summer I can see Kyle Taylor and Nnamdi Ofoborh getting the full first team pre-season, plus Eddie looking at another midfield signing as well. Especially as Surman turns 33 in August. Young lads and new signings are a risk in themselves, so there's all the more reason to give Lerma and Cook as much game time together as possible (once Cook is fit). And hey once we have a few more points on the board, why not see a bit of Taylor and Ofoborh before this season is out.

Our midfield cannot be pinned around Surman at 33 next season. He should be the experienced head on the bench and in the dressing room, who comes on to steady the last 20 minutes of games, or to partner one of the young midfielders through games when they come in. And that is in no way pinning our defeat on Surman, far far from it. For all the stick he gets (some of it from me) he's been huge in our PL survival these years. It's just an inevitable part of plotting our journey onwards.

Enough of the faux outrage, I don't go round saying it to people with special needs Bill, but in the real world which some of you appear not to live in, insults like this one and others take a wider context of meaning and if you say something unintelligent like that guy did then it's likely you will get an insult of this kind from friends and strangers as punishment for what you've said.

The lesson is try not to say stupid things and then these insults won't come your way. Bit rich coming from some of you, I'm sure you've all got a few skeletons in the closet (some literally).

Well RR...its actually a better response than I expected...if you only dish out the insult to tough minded people that are able to defend themselves..im a Bit happier about it....and im sure there is an even better you in there somewhere that is going to emerge now that ive got a bit closer. Yep...we have, most of us got some closet stuff...and most of us improve as time goes on...in this world we ' appear not to live in' : The fact you have responded ...ive stirred up something in you... that means there is hope that you can be of value to society...better than me even! Go for it please!

Or maybe they are just better and you cant see that

If only there was a way to see like getting picked as full internationals for your countries
Maybe!......its what we all want......and let All the players talk for themselves with their efforts on the pitch when they get the chance...not the press or us, me included, who think we are, or try to be experts.

Well RR...its actually a better response than I expected...if you only dish out the insult to tough minded people that are able to defend themselves..im a Bit happier about it....and im sure there is an even better you in there somewhere that is going to emerge now that ive got a bit closer. Yep...we have, most of us got some closet stuff...and most of us improve as time goes on...in this world we ' appear not to live in' : The fact you have responded ...ive stirred up something in you... that means there is hope that you can be of value to society...better than me even! Go for it please!
No Bill thats absolute b0llox....the word itself and what it stands for is vile...i don't give a toss in what company it is used...you can't excuse that kind of cr@p......'tough minded people'...don't make me laugh...they're just @rseholes.

“I don't go round saying it to people with special needs Bill”

How would you know? My stepson had a special needs statement at school and has Asperger’s Syndrome. He works at Sainsbury’s, sometimes supervising the self service section. If he was a bit slow coming across to sign off your purchase of a tin of lager how would you choose an appropriate term of abuse?

As TF says the term is vile and nedn’t/shouldn’t be used at all, but the idea that you could refrain from using it when it might give offence is just plain daft.

No Bill thats absolute b0llox....the word itself and what it stands for is vile...i don't give a toss in what company it is used...you can't excuse that kind of cr@p......'tough minded people'...don't make me laugh...they're just @rseholes.

Yep..of course TF...but I have a feeling he is less abrasive in public and I was probing to see if he is able to jettison that image and draw out a better version of his existence and how he treats other people. The fact that the word is vile was the reason I posted what I did.
SRoger has added another important dimension with the reference to his stepson.

Last edited:
Each of our midfielders have different strengths. And that isn't a problem as such. Whilst Lerma is probably the closest we have to a 'complete' midfielder, in the modern game most central players stick to specific roles, even the very best midfielders at the very best clubs.

Real Madrid and Barcelona don't play 4-4-2 with two rounded central midfielders doing a bit of everything. It's a case of putting together a central midfield that combines those strengths in such a way to create a complete department.

Cook brings more imagination with his passing and a wider range of passing, than anyone else we have. Surman can do some of that, but Cook naturally takes more risks, and sometimes you need that to unlock an opposition. But sometimes it will result in possession given away and opposition attacks coming at us, directly resulting from Cook's marginally miss-hit attempt at a 40 yard raking ball over the opposition full back.

If you want lots of safe possession and intelligent ball retention, you turn to Surman. If you want lots of running and hassling, you turn to Gosling. Both credible options to have. But there is no doubting that our most gifted central midfielders are Cook and Lerma, and if you picked a full strength side that was setup 4-4-2, especially against a top 6 side (and the formation is a different argument to have) you need to pick Cook and Lerma.

Now how many games have Cook and Lerma played together? Half a dozen perhaps. How many games have Surman and Gosling played together? Scores. So the more experienced pairing will be comfortable and fairly reliable, if somewhat limited especially against the top sides. But we all know they will do the job Eddie asks without any massive screw-ups.

Lerma and Cook would make errors, goals would result from their miscommunication and misplaced passes. But if Eddie insists on a midfield two against better opposition than us, then when everyone is fit he has to risk the best two individuals. And if given enough games together, they would improve as a pair and that reliability gap to Surman and Gosling will be reduced.

In the summer I can see Kyle Taylor and Nnamdi Ofoborh getting the full first team pre-season, plus Eddie looking at another midfield signing as well. Especially as Surman turns 33 in August. Young lads and new signings are a risk in themselves, so there's all the more reason to give Lerma and Cook as much game time together as possible (once Cook is fit). And hey once we have a few more points on the board, why not see a bit of Taylor and Ofoborh before this season is out.

Our midfield cannot be pinned around Surman at 33 next season. He should be the experienced head on the bench and in the dressing room, who comes on to steady the last 20 minutes of games, or to partner one of the young midfielders through games when they come in. And that is in no way pinning our defeat on Surman, far far from it. For all the stick he gets (some of it from me) he's been huge in our PL survival these years. It's just an inevitable part of plotting our journey onwards.

One of the best posts I have seen for a while. Spot on.

I believe a good midfielder should be able to release the ball quickly, one touch football like City play, Surman and Gosling don't have this gift. That is why we can't break down sides like Cardiff when we have 75% of possesion.

I believe a good midfielder should be able to release the ball quickly, one touch football like City play, Surman and Gosling don't have this gift. That is why we can't break down sides like Cardiff when we have 75% of possesion.

Gosling can release the ball quickly, he just can't pass very accurately. Lewis Cook is as guilty of slowing play down as Surman in my opinion.

Some of the "toughest minded people" I know are the ones who make a place for themselves in an unforgiving society while dealing with "special" circumstances.

What a poor answer. The right answer was "yes, Bill, I screwed up, you called me on it and I apologize. Will try not to do it again".

During the recent transfer window there were suggestions Eddie should sign another midfield player. It didn’t happen for whatever reason.

But he did sign a right back in Nathan Clyne, even though on loan, but a position again being mentioned we needed cover.

He signed Dominic Solanke a striker from Liverpool, with Jermain Defoe going on a long loan to Rangers.

Eddie has what is available to him at the moment and has to do his best until players return from injury.

We have badly missed Callum Wilson and especially David Brooks who has been a revelation from pre season up to his last game before injury.

I don't know why people bother getting upset about what reservoir_red says, the bloke is a self-confessed Nazi, of course he calls people mongs.

As people have said, all our midfielders have their strengths and weaknesses, I like them all for what they bring to the team - L Cook, Lerma, Gosling and Surman,

I just think we need somebody to make our midfield stronger if you understand me. This would then help to protect our defence.

Nazis? Jeez ...Not exactlly the New kids on the Block! If he is lashing his colours to that mast ..May I Fruitfully suggest a new Logo to replace the tired old Swazy! And a Slightly a Amended Manifesto i.e. Extermination of all Supporters of Auchinleck Talbot FC. Haggis sales are getting a bit much! Gotta start somewhere to get it back on the tracks!

Gosling can release the ball quickly, he just can't pass very accurately. Lewis Cook is as guilty of slowing play down as Surman in my opinion.
I think Lewis Cook cuts a frustrated figure in a lot of games in that he has to retain possession of the ball when he would like to release it quicker. To a lot of people who sit near me it's because Wilson and King don't find the space or make the runs that Lewis needs them to. I think we are playing in the premier league against clued up defenders / midfielders who don't afford you the space or let you make runs that will result in them conceding goals.

I think Lewis Cook cuts a frustrated figure in a lot of games in that he has to retain possession of the ball when he would like to release it quicker. To a lot of people who sit near me it's because Wilson and King don't find the space or make the runs that Lewis needs them to. I think we are playing in the premier league against clued up defenders / midfielders who don't afford you the space or let you make runs that will result in them conceding goals.

He should link up well with Solanke then.as they play together for England.

I've found myself thinking similarly, again at deep set defence and midfield, our movement off the ball isn't the best, certsinly not compared to some of our opposition. But thrn we didn't pay £50m+ for our front line, and there's the rub

;