The Abuse of Kelly v3

Tav was throwing his arms in the air in frustration during the first half. He did it a couple of times when he was in space and the ball just went backwards or sideways.
For me Tav didnt make enough runs behind Poor old Smith was getting up on his side and wasnt used enough

More recent than that we did it to devastating effect with two players still at the club. Indeed the left winger in that duo came on on Sunday. At right back. Go figure….
Jaidon is totally ineffective with Kelly playing behind him though, might be worth a go with Vina vs Saints though. The problem is that Tavernier, Dango and Christie are clearly all more comfortable playing on the right, the only one who really looks at all comfortable on the left is Dango and he is as erratic as anything right now. When you add Brooks into the equation it starts to become a bit silly, we have five players who can play in wide positions, and four of those are right sided players! I think that it either has to be Anthony on the left with Vina behind him, or Dango on the left and hope for the best.

Either way I don’t want to see Kelly at left back again to be honest, he just doesn’t look comfortable there unless we are sitting deep and keeping a compact shape. The games coming up are games in which we are going to need to try to be more positive and try to take the game to our opponents. I’m not normally an advocate for us playing three at the back, but it does seem to be the formation right now that will get the best out of the players we have got.

-Allows Kelly to play in the LCB role he looks most comfortable in.

-Solves our left winger problem (don’t think Anthony is quite ready yet to start) by allowing Vina to play at LWB.

-Allows Tavernier to play on his preferred side at RWB.

-Enables us to keep Smith on the bench, sorry but he hasn’t got the legs for this level anymore. I think that for his own sake, we shouldn’t ask him to try and keep up with Sulemana (fastest player at the World Cup) on Thursday.

-Allows both Christie and Billing to pick up advanced central positions.

Seems to be the best fit right now.

Also gives us extra bodies in the box to deal with crosses.

Ive been a big fan of Tav this season but he was just as terrible as anyone else on Saturday.

That pass from Kelly that led to the second goal might not have been brilliant, but if he just used his other foot he may well have controlled it and not lost the ball quite so easily. He can’t surely be that one footed. It was like watching a kid in an under 7’s game.
To me he looked a bit rusty. Perhaps fitness is not an issue but he just seemed a little off the pace.

Reactions: DJ
Haven’t read it, can’t read it, but sounds an absolutely terrible take.
Why is it a terrible take? Literally everything written is factually correct. You just don’t like it because it is adding further fuel to the fire. But that moronic section of our fan base started the fire in the first place. He clearly has been badly treated by a section of our fan base, if I were him then I’d be out of here as quick as I could be.

Why is it a terrible take? Literally everything written is factually correct. You just don’t like it because it is adding further fuel to the fire. But that moronic section of our fan base started the fire in the first place. He clearly has been badly treated by a section of our fan base, if I were him then I’d be out of here as quick as I could be.

Well not everything is factually correct as it ends with an opinion. The opinion I disagree with.

There’s plenty of footballers who have had a stutter in their careers, but turned it around. His naysayers will soon shut up with a run of form. It’s hardly got to a point of no return.

Equally, do we actually know the situation is there a contract on the table for him? Is it acceptable terms? He’s not going to sign a deal if he’s financially better off elsewhere… that’s ultimately going to decide his future, not some booing from a small section of the crowd.

Subscription only?

Yes they’ve got their own AFCB subscription part on the echo site. Sign of the times, stepping into where the Athletic left off. Hopefully some good content for those wanting stuff like that.

"Stripped of the captaincy" is quite a loaded term to use. We don't really know what conversations took place and in what spirit, but it's not exactly unheard of for new managers to make that kind of change and I doubt it will have come as a complete surprise to LK.

The stuff around 'abuse' is more noise I would think.

What will matter is:
1) Is Kelly in Iraola's plans for regular game time.
2) Does the financial offer stack up for Kelly.
3) Is there another PL club willing to put in a better offer to his agent.

That's it.

It would absolutely be how I felt were I him. I'd want to bugger off and play for a better set of supporters.
Even blamed (by some) for first spuds goal..when Madison ran off our right sided centre back

I'm surprised he wasn't blamed for spuds second. Oh no that was Semenyo who gave up chasing their left back

I think his career has plateaued. Had really high hopes but I think he has got to the point where a move may do him good. Sure he has taken some stick but you have to rise above it and prove them wrong.
Defensively I think he can do a job but some of his passing is woeful, I am not sure he fits with the AI style but he was picked in front of Senesi so maybe he wants to give him a chance to prove himself.

Yes they’ve got their own AFCB subscription part on the echo site. Sign of the times, stepping into where the Athletic left off. Hopefully some good content for those wanting stuff like that.
Ah that sucks, it'll be dead in a year. Interesting they would write something so controversial I guess no such thing as bad publicity?

I can understand him not exactly feeling settled and wanting to move on but I guess the question is will he be able to step up at another club? I still think he would make a really good inverted wing back so maybe he needs to be on the lookout for that.

Think he is a fantastic player. When fit or not needed at left back two managers in a row have preferred him over the expensive Senesi. Hope he stays but like others have said I get the feeling he prefers a fresh start. Bit of a gamble for him though as unless he has a storming stand out season for us he isn’t guaranteed that fresh start will be in prem.

Most of his abuse all stems from him being slow to play out, and distribution. These are valid points and weaknesses in his game, however it's become a point where every time he gets it and doesn't pass straight away the crowd go mad.

So it's the sort of situation he's going to struggle to lose that stigma as it's pointed out very fast every game. Against Spurs there was one that made me laugh, he held on a few moments and groans built up before he hit a brilliant diagonal out to Aarons and people didn't know how to react.

For me he's still out best player at actually defending. Senesi I think is all action which hides some flaws from the fans.

Think he is a fantastic player. When fit or not needed at left back two managers in a row have preferred him over the expensive Senesi. Hope he stays but like others have said I get the feeling he prefers a fresh start. Bit of a gamble for him though as unless he has a storming stand out season for us he isn’t guaranteed that fresh start will be in prem.

Senesi is expensive as opposed to Kelly?

;