The death of a traditional chant

Best one heard on Saturday…
One Philip…, there’s only one Philip…., One Philip…., there’s only one Philip….

Closely followed by…
one name, he’s only got one name, he’s only got one name…
Yeah and we hate Softly Softly we hate Z cars too we hate Dixon of Dock Green…but Harry we love you

Or classics such as... Heart warming favourites, usually lead by the family stand.

'dig a hole and f***ing bury him'

'you're going home in a dorset ambulance'.

'you're going to get your f***ing head kicked in. you're going to get your f***ing head kicked in...'

'come join us, come join us, come join us over ere...

'Does your boyfriend know your here' - to brighton fans.

'Don't bend down when brighton are in town or you might get a willy up your ****************, UP YOUR ****************' (may have alternated with bum for a bit of variety).

'I can't read, I can't write, but that don;t really matter, because I'm a (insert west country club name) fan and I can drive a/my tractor'

'west country, w4nk, w4nk, w4nk. west country w4nk, w4nk, w4nk'.

'go to the pub, have 10 pints, get totally plastered. go back home, beat the wife, dirty/i'm a northern b4stard'

'look in the dustbin for something to eat, find a dead rat and you think its a treat. in your northern slums... in your northern slums'.

'Back to your sh1t hole, you're going back to your sh1t hole. Back to your sh11111thole, you're going back to your sh1t hole.'

'Give me a Beeee, (BEEEEEE), oooo (OOO).... all the way through spelling Bournemouth, ended with a nice touch of 'Who's going to beat this Northern sh1t'? BOURNEMOUTH (clap clap clap) BOURNEMOUTH (clap clap clap...) - always lead by @GARYafCb iirc?

'you're so sh1t its unbelievable...'

'sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers... sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers...'

'get your t1ts out, get your t1ts out, get your t1ts out for the lads'. when any woman who wasn't fat or ugly was spotted in the ground.

Heart warming favourites, usually lead by the family stand.

An of course Molly Malone and

'Sea, Sea, Sea siders... Sea, Sea, Sea siders...'

'We're from Bournemouth (we're from Bournemouth)... Sunny sunny Bournemouth (sunny sunny Bournemouth).
You must have come in a taxi was a personal favourite or on a skateboard if the away support was particularly small.

Unfortunately we have a changing crowd that are changing the atmosphere. There must have been 7 or 8 new faces around me on Saturday , rows in front and behind none of them sang. In all honesty they probably didn't know any of the words. It's a noticeable change happening. The atmosphere at both.home games so far has been pretty poor with the exception of a rousing 5 minutes of Allez Allez in the 2nd half on Saturday. The chant of ' lino you're a cnut' noticeably shocked a few and led to comments like ' charming ' and 'lovely'. We are slowly turning into a plastic club

Unfortunately we have a changing crowd that are changing the atmosphere. There must have been 7 or 8 new faces around me on Saturday , rows in front and behind none of them sang. In all honesty they probably didn't know any of the words. It's a noticeable change happening. The atmosphere at both.home games so far has been pretty poor with the exception of a rousing 5 minutes of Allez Allez in the 2nd half on Saturday. The chant of ' lino you're a cnut' noticeably shocked a few and led to comments like ' charming ' and 'lovely'. We are slowly turning into a plastic club
And slightly disappointing that they didn't see that the lino truly was a cnut too.

Don't agree with the plastic club conclusion as I think it's just the nature of getting seats through the points system. You mix people who would rather be in the main stand with those who would rather be at the back of the North Stand.

The atmosphere has been declining over the last 5+ years as a consequence and IMO can only be solved by surplus ground capacity.

Don't agree with the plastic club conclusion as I think it's just the nature of getting seats where you mix people who would rather in the main stand are mixed with those who would rather be at the back of the North Stand.

The atmosphere has been declining over the last 5+ years as a consequence and IMO can only be solved by surplus ground capacity.
Agree with this. There are still a lot who want to chant I think but many displaced around. Bigger ground you can get them concentrated in one or two areas. Other clubs have faced the same issues I think- ManUre, Arsenal a couple I can think of. We need leaders

Don't agree with the plastic club conclusion as I think it's just the nature of getting seats through the points system. You mix people who would rather be in the main stand with those who would rather be at the back of the North Stand.

I agree with you. Plastic probably the wrong term. But noticeably different faces both games around me who aren't interested in singing. Not everyone is of course. I might be wrong but the east side of the north stand have been quite and the back of the Ted Shed have seemed quieter. Where I am at the back of the NS has also struggled to get any rythmn and longevity of songs and the variety of songs has dropped. Of course before GON and AI we had songs that related to the manager, even Groves ' sacked in the morning' was still a song for the gaffer. We need a song for AI. Although I find him about as exciting a wet flannel, something to create a bond would help. A new stadium , if it arrives, could resolve this but a section would need to be advertised as being the ' noisy area' allowing those who choose to sing to all be together. Preferably a safe standing area aswell.

Last edited:
Ted Shed noise engine has definitely dropped away recently. I like to chant and aim to sit around row P/Q but next two games I'm squeezed out into row E as the club seem to have allocated my usual preference area to guests. I can chant on my own in Row E I suppose but the back of the stand is where the chants start and gain momentum. I fear those who wish to chant are being diluted. Shame.

Two elements going on, one season ticket holders are getting older, year on year.

Then the more obvious, when you get supporters who are maybe less frequent with their attendance, in unfamiliar surroundings you get a quieter crowd. Happens for cup games, happens at England games.

Two elements going on, one season ticket holders are getting older, year on year.

Then the more obvious, when you get supporters who are maybe less frequent with their attendance, in unfamiliar surroundings you get a quieter crowd. Happens for cup games, happens at England games.

I doubt a significant enough amount of the ground is occupied with those on 1 or 2 points. I think it happens for cup games because nobody really cares.

Or classics such as... Heart warming favourites, usually lead by the family stand.

'dig a hole and f***ing bury him'

'you're going home in a dorset ambulance'.

'you're going to get your f***ing head kicked in. you're going to get your f***ing head kicked in...'

'come join us, come join us, come join us over ere...

'Does your boyfriend know your here' - to brighton fans.

'Don't bend down when brighton are in town or you might get a willy up your ****************, UP YOUR ****************' (may have alternated with bum for a bit of variety).

'I can't read, I can't write, but that don;t really matter, because I'm a (insert west country club name) fan and I can drive a/my tractor'

'west country, w4nk, w4nk, w4nk. west country w4nk, w4nk, w4nk'.

'go to the pub, have 10 pints, get totally plastered. go back home, beat the wife, dirty/i'm a northern b4stard'

'look in the dustbin for something to eat, find a dead rat and you think its a treat. in your northern slums... in your northern slums'.

'Back to your sh1t hole, you're going back to your sh1t hole. Back to your sh11111thole, you're going back to your sh1t hole.'

'Give me a Beeee, (BEEEEEE), oooo (OOO).... all the way through spelling Bournemouth, ended with a nice touch of 'Who's going to beat this Northern sh1t'? BOURNEMOUTH (clap clap clap) BOURNEMOUTH (clap clap clap...) - always lead by @GARYafCb iirc?

'you're so sh1t its unbelievable...'

'sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers... sheep, sheep, sheep shaggers...'

'get your t1ts out, get your t1ts out, get your t1ts out for the lads'. when any woman who wasn't fat or ugly was spotted in the ground.

Heart warming favourites, usually lead by the family stand.

An of course Molly Malone and

'Sea, Sea, Sea siders... Sea, Sea, Sea siders...'

'We're from Bournemouth (we're from Bournemouth)... Sunny sunny Bournemouth (sunny sunny Bournemouth).
Also

The dismissive 'Who the f***king 'ell are you? when some northern team runs out infront of their 50 fans in the BBE end.

He's Bald, he's ****, his **** is up for rent..referee! referee! (loudest v Barnsley 0-2 start of 87-88 season)

If I had the wings of a sparrow
If I had the **************** of a crow
I'd fly over Reading tomorrow
And sh1t on the bastards below

'You'll never take the south end'

Millwall auto windscreen semi final 84 when that particular chant fell flat on its face. Wrong chant at the wrong time at the wrong game. We won 2-1 but if my memory serves me right they equalised in the last minute, ruled offside? (can anyone else recall - something happened to upset them), massive pitch invasion, lino got lumped, they ran straight across the pitch into the south end. Best fire drill I've ever seen.

The lack of songs - and the lack of people singing the few songs we have - is starting to get embarrassing.
We need songs for our new players and I haven’t heard a single song about our new manager - mad when his name is made to fit into football chants.
Really should be singing ‘Coz we’ve got Iraola’ like ManC sing Guardialo
or ‘We’ve got Andoni Iraola, he knows exactly what we need - etc.’

Millwall auto windscreen semi final 84 when that particular chant fell flat on its face. Wrong chant at the wrong time at the wrong game. We won 2-1 but if my memory serves me right they equalised in the last minute, ruled offside? (can anyone else recall - something happened to upset them), massive pitch invasion, lino got lumped, they ran straight across the pitch into the south end. Best fire drill I've ever seen.
Not sure if it was that particular game (probably not thinking about it, it would have been earlier) but I remember the South End chanting "we all agree, Harry the Dog is a Poodle." which did seem to anger the gent somewhat!

yes, goal disallowed.

I remember one particular Millwall fan leading the charge, looked a bit like Bob Willis charging in, hair bouncing. We looked at him and thought "Run away! run away! - and did!

;