The Masters

...gutted I had Ancer pre-tournament to finish in top ten at 7/1...but he blew up in his final round and failed by one shot finishing 13th!...Johnson was different gravy tbf...funniest thing was Woods taking a ten on the par 3 12th hole!

TW makes a ten on the 12th and then birdies five of the next six holes. I think that says a lot about him as a competitor.

DJ has been different class since the season resumed really. Three wins, three seconds and a sixth in his last seven starts.

One of those seconds was when Jon Rahm holed a sixty six foot putt on him in a play off for the BMW.

He is #1 in the world and thoroughly deserves it.

The standard of golf from this generation really is on another level.

Sure I get technology plays a part. No amount of technology can give you the touch round the greens or knock an approach shot inches from the pin.

The definition of a golfer has changed. Tiger started it by getting big and strong (just look at those early Masters photos), and ruling a generation with some really great golfers like Ernie, Phil, Furyk ... well basically all the class that is now moving into the seniors.

DeChambeau aside (because what he has done borders on freakish), most of today's guys are tremendously in good shape. No more Craig Stadlers or John Dalys about to contend. It amazes me that guys about my size can hit the ball 300+ yds.

But let's also give a (y) to Bernhard Langer ..... oldest guy to complete a Masters, did it under par. And probably odds-on to break his record at next year's Masters, which is only five months away.

I'm amazed I can hit the ball as far as I can these days.
Short 5.6, 74kg and in late 60's.
Driver flies around the 240 yard mark, 7 iron 150 yards, 9 iron 125 yards.
Yes 90% fly straight.
It comes down to technic and timing. I'm sure if I went to the gym every day I could hit it further.

Yes 90% fly straight.
It comes down to technic and timing. I'm sure if I went to the gym every day I could hit it further.
Good numbers. How long a tee block do you play? I am still good from 6000-6300, depending on the course difficulty.

Good numbers. How long a tee block do you play? I am still good from 6000-6300, depending on the course difficulty.
Can't help but think that if Rory had Tiger's inner drive and " stickability" then he would have won even more Major's.
Not that I am a Tiger fan. Initially,I believe he was good for the game and brought many young players in to the fold. Unfortunately, he never grasped that he had a duty to the game rather than just to himself. Strange to write that on a football forum but golf was and still is in a bit of a time warp. Not cheating is almost as important as winning.
Tiger brought excitement but also a decline in standards. Swearing, spitting,smashing clubs in to the ground-all became acceptable. Add that to the total hypocrisy of his " sham " marriage as he continued to take vast sums from his sponsors and you see a legacy of a great golfer but certainly not a great man.
As for the nonsense claim that he is the " GOAT"- compare his record with that of Nicklaus. And as regards " greatest comeback" then I think Ben Hogan takes that accolade by a country mile.

Yes 90% fly straight.

You have natural ability and yes timing is part of that. I don't see that many driving 240 yards straight in Joe public land . In my experience many decent level footballers, cricketers and tennis players simply have 'an eye for the ball', so hand / eye coordination is bang up there and they can usually hit a quality ball. The rest of us simply work on something we'll never probably achieve. That said equipment helps but 'all the gear no idea' is the general rule of thumb .

Last edited:
Can't help but think that if Rory had Tiger's inner drive and " stickability" then he would have won even more Major's.
Not that I am a Tiger fan. Initially,I believe he was good for the game and brought many young players in to the fold. Unfortunately, he never grasped that he had a duty to the game rather than just to himself. Strange to write that on a football forum but golf was and still is in a bit of a time warp. Not cheating is almost as important as winning.
Tiger brought excitement but also a decline in standards. Swearing, spitting,smashing clubs in to the ground-all became acceptable. Add that to the total hypocrisy of his " sham " marriage as he continued to take vast sums from his sponsors and you see a legacy of a great golfer but certainly not a great man.
As for the nonsense claim that he is the " GOAT"- compare his record with that of Nicklaus. And as regards " greatest comeback" then I think Ben Hogan takes that accolade by a country mile.
Yeah, Rory is one of our favourites, met him at the 2019 Canadian Open (which he eventually won) and he was very pleasant. Funny, the offset is that he does seem to have a better "golf/life" balance than Tiger, and maybe that does mute his drive a bit.

At first thought, I would agree that Tiger has precipitated some bad behaviour, which has found its way to even the weekend golfer. Fist pumps over a six foot par putt :slap:. But there were some before him who also were less genteel as well ... they just didn't dominate the game like he did, in an era of TV and social media.

Jack as the GOAT ... yeah I'm in on that.

Yeah, Rory is one of our favourites, met him at the 2019 Canadian Open (which he eventually won) and he was very pleasant. Funny, the offset is that he does seem to have a better "golf/life" balance than Tiger, and maybe that does mute his drive a bit.

At first thought, I would agree that Tiger has precipitated some bad behaviour, which has found its way to even the weekend golfer. Fist pumps over a six foot par putt :slap:. But there were some before him who also were less genteel as well ... they just didn't dominate the game like he did, in an era of TV and social media.

Jack as the GOAT ... yeah I'm in on that.

I have been playing golf for 50 years, I suppose your swing just gets ingrained over time. The new long clubs have added distance, I have gone to a lighter shaft that increases ball speed. Playing 5 times a week also helps, now I only play twice a week which affects the short game.
We have 3 loops of 9 averaging 3300 yards a loop. Lots of bunkers and rough awaits you if you can't hit it straight. Not so many trees although I prefer a tree lined course like Augusta.

John- talking of " work/life" balance, I have always thought that GMac has things right. Got his own bar and spends his spare time with his wife and friends enjoying the fruits of his labours ! He has far less talent than many but has a cast iron temperament that allows him to make a more than decent living. Remember the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor when he mentally destroyed Hunter Mahan...

I remember my grandad saying golf was 90% in the mind. I guess at elite level, where all the players are so talented, having that extra bit of course management and calmness under pressure is what can make the difference. At my hacker level, I’m not sure any mental ability can overcome my lack of talent.

That said, since I realised my limitations and stopped worrying how far I am suppose to hit a club my game is a lot better. I can’t hit woods. What I can do is hit my hybrid club 150-170 yards off the tee and 80% of them are down the middle. That puts me in decent shape on most holes.

With a bit of work on my putting and short game reckon I can be shooting low-mid 90’s which isn’t bad for a complete hacker!

John- talking of " work/life" balance, I have always thought that GMac has things right. Got his own bar and spends his spare time with his wife and friends enjoying the fruits of his labours ! He has far less talent than many but has a cast iron temperament that allows him to make a more than decent living. Remember the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor when he mentally destroyed Hunter Mahan...
Love the Ryder Cup, was at Gleneagles in 2014. One of the best trips ever. Always find the Euros a compelling squad to cheer for, guys like GMac and Poults and Rosey always come up big, and there is always some player that we know very little of over here that makes a huge contribution. Jamie Donaldson in 2014 as an example. Followed Nicholas Colsaerts for a bit, cripes he was miles longer than a lot of the other guys, I thought sure he would be the next big thing.

I can remember hitting under par for the first time, it was like winning the Open. Something you strive for thinking you will never do it.
Since then I have no goal and now just enjoy my golf.

;