The standard of refereeing

blandford_cherry

UTC Legend
Is the standard of refereeing in the premier league getting worse? You could argue our last 3 refs at home (Craig Pawson, Roger East, Lee Mason) have all had very poor games and missed key decisions and/or been biased towards the other team. Stuart Atwell missed a penalty shove on Mings at City last week, Benetiz blasted the ref for Wolves 94th minute goal last night.

To me the standard seems to have taken a huge drop in the past few seasons.

It's hard to tell given the change in pace of games and how many players fake injuries and do absolutely everything to win a throw - in. Standard has dropped because of this

...refs have often easy and simple decisions to make and when you see that they have a good view and still get it wrong it puzzles me?

The biggest concern to me is the way that the top teams get away with bookings that their opponents often pick up...recently I have seen Franno, Lerma, Daniels, and Ake all booked far to quickly in matches whilst others have escaped punishment.. I wonder how the referees assessors see this?

I would like to see tougher retrospective red cards be more forthcoming for things like Boly'S elbow on Perez on Sunday which was a bad and deangerous challenge IMO. I don't care what all the pundits say about jumping with your arms out when going up for headers, if you connect with someone then surely that is wrong?

As for Lino's they have split seconds to make calls, so marginal offsides are difficult to spot, either way...VAR would be perfect for sorting this one out.

it's a very unattractive job, has been for many years now. the pool is getting smaller. the whinging gets more vociferous & self-entitled. the levels of scrutiny are extreme. who'd be a ref?

Rare to see the officials work together as a team.
Simple first step would be to publish the assessors summary of performance, explaining what was good and not so good about the officials.

The pgmol is where the buck stops for the failure to improve standards.

...refs have often easy and simple decisions to make and when you see that they have a good view and still get it wrong it puzzles me?

The biggest concern to me is the way that the top teams get away with bookings that their opponents often pick up...recently I have seen Franno, Lerma, Daniels, and Ake all booked far to quickly in matches whilst others have escaped punishment.. I wonder how the referees assessors see this?

I would like to see tougher retrospective red cards be more forthcoming for things like Boly'S elbow on Perez on Sunday which was a bad and deangerous challenge IMO. I don't care what all the pundits say about jumping with your arms out when going up for headers, if you connect with someone then surely that is wrong?

As for Lino's they have split seconds to make calls, so marginal offsides are difficult to spot, either way...VAR would be perfect for sorting this one out.

I agree the the bookings. Very noticeable how Man Utd got away with constant holding and fouling without punishment (free kick or cards) but we seemed to be picked on every time. Lee mason similarly not consistent on Saturday.

Truth is brooks and Salah offside decisions are difficult to spot given speed of the game (hence get VAR) but penalty appeal at city was plain obvious.

I have a policy of Never criticising referees......I think I must have been to about 10 games out of about 2,000 since 1960 across all standards of the game where the ref didn't get stick for something. Every single viewing point in any crowd is different and so are interpretations of tackling, what is a tackle/what is a foul, handball intentions, bloody offside variations. As long as the game becomes more and more business orientated....the worse it will get...the players will ensure that...not the referees

All we as football fans ask for is consistency from the officials.

Against Liverpool that certainly wasn’t the case.

The game yesterday with Newcastle and Wolves, the camera picked up a foul which wasn’t given because the referee probably couldn’t see it but the camera angle you could.

The officials have to make split decisions, they don’t have replays like the TV commentators/pundits have.

But going back to the Liverpool game, we just want consistency in decisions that the ref can see.

The trouble is the current batch of PL refs are virtually the same lot from 10 years ago. They are mainly the Mark Hughes of refereeing, Dinosaurs.
If I remember, correctly Stuart Attwell is the only new ref to be a full PL ref sine we got promoted.
The PGMOL should give more top performing Championship refs a better chance of reffing PL matches.

anyone who says, "all we ask for in consistency" with regard to refereeing is going to be permanently disappointed - the two things will never go together. its someone making a judgement, right or wrong, on what they see at any given time.

The PGMOL should give more top performing Championship refs a better chance of reffing PL matches.

nice idea, but it may be lambs to slaughter. I doubt champo fans think their refs are any good either.

anyone who says, "all we ask for in consistency" with regard to refereeing is going to be permanently disappointed - the two things will never go together. its someone making a judgement, right or wrong, on what they see at any given time.

Which in our case seems to be for the bigger clubs.

Saying that, the ref in the River Plate v Boca Juniors game last night made some very weird decisions. An indirect free-kick was given to BJ in the RP box. The only thing replays showed was a mild clash of feet a few inches off the ground (Not obstruction and certainly not dangerous play). Also some very meaty and probably foul tackles went unpunished.

I'm thru with discussing Refs anymore, it's boring - I'll add it to the long list of things I disagree with seemingly most of the first-world on :sick:

Why don't we recruit top refs from other leading football nations ? No coincidence that there were NO English refs at the World Cup. The standard is poor, and recognised internationally as such.

;