The standard of refereeing

It genuinely seemed like Mason was affected by the situation and sided very obviously with the home. Probably not so much to change the result, but it was frustrating nonetheless. A couple of fouls given against King in particular were just laughable.

It was Moss.

To be fair Moss missed Solanke’s studs up on Paterson which would have been a pen and possibly a red card?...he is in my top five worst refs along with East...Friend...Mason and Pawson....I think Dean has been good this season and Probert is not too bad?

To over rule the Stanislas throw in and then give the throw to Cardiff subsequently booking Stan for questioning his decision was a joke.
Refs don't usually make a fuss about where throw ins are taken if you take it closer to your own goal than the opposition's eg on Wednesday the ball went out halfway in our half and Chelsea took the throw in their own half. When balls go out near the corner flag the throw is often taken a couple of yards away with no fuss.

I think, like Boruc posted, we were too nice during the game, which is what cost us more than the officials....but at the same time, the ref was pretty bad. The amount of times Josh, as an example, was impeded both on and off the ball and nothing given, was laughable. And the one time he was fouled and the decision given against him!
As per Gomes at Everton, we had Bamba on a yellow and being allowed to continue fouling afterwards. We all know Eddie was not happy about the performance of the officials but he couldn't say so due to also knowing the teams performance was just as bad!
And how many fouls did Paterson getaway with?

I was a bit frustrated with Stanislas regarding the throw in. Yes it’s pedantic refereeing but Moss did tell him twice previously where to take it from.

It was obvious he wouldn’t let us take it from there. All Stan’s actions did were give Moss an opportunity to punish us and waste our own time. Quite unprofessional really which summed up the entire performance.

Would have been easy for Eddie to blast those officials yesterday! But then he would only be accused of sour grapes when it was the team that didn't do so well either.

I just hope that EH, in his usual considered way, will slate Moss in his report that I assume the managers still fill in to comment on the offical’s performance post match.

I do think the standard of referring this season is the worst out of the 3 and a bit seasons we’ve been in the PL. Clattenburg and Madley have both gone. Oliver is probably the best of the rest that are left. Some, including Moss and the idiot we had on Wednesday are truly dreadful.

Agreed Gooner, the linos have been consistently poor right through our time in the prem but this season it seems the refs have dropped to their level, generally poor, and in the main, star struck officiating

Have things changed that much?

Just been reading this article that was written just after this season started. Mentions some of the referees mentioned in this thread.

Also about favourtism to the top sides.

Players getting away with a number of fouls, think back to recent games involving AFCB.

Referees Football is a game that is enjoyed by millions of people around the world. To some people, it like a religion, so much so that without it, they may probably not live. Watching the legendary Diego Maradona celebrate the goal that Lionel Messi scored against Nigeria in the FIFA World Cup in Russia, you could clearly see how spiritually attached to football the man is. The game that is the ultimate source of entertainment to many though, is the same game that has been marred with controversy stemming from bad refereeing and the Premier League in no different.

Adored by fans around the world, the Premier League is, unfortunately, having its name soiled by the very men who are charged with ensuring its sanity- the match officials! First of all, a referee is supposed to maintain a high level of neutrality, not favouritism, but on several occasions, they have been accused of offering the latter. During the days of Sir Alex Ferguson, according to stats compiled by The Guardian, several referees had a tendency of adding 3 or more minutes when his team were chasing a result and 2 or less when they were leading.

It was also extremely hard for a referee to award a penalty against Ferguson's United at Old Trafford for fear of being attacked by the Scott. Former referee Graham Poll said:

"The difference at Old Trafford now is that referees arrive with the knowledge that Sir Alex Ferguson is no longer present; he is not waiting in the tunnel to rip into you for daring to award the opposition a penalty, nor is he going to charge into your dressing room with a 'hairdryer' on full blast, incandescent with rage at your audacity to do your job"

In a game against Arsenal that United won 2-1 at Old Trafford in 2009, referee Mike Dean failed to award a penalty to Arsenal when Darren Fletcher lunged into Andrey Arshavin. He swept him to the ground in a sliding challenge, handling the ball in the process as Arshavin was preparing to shoot. That was a clear-cut penalty, but for some reason, Mr. Dean didn't give it. Interestingly, the ref went on to award United a debatable penalty when Manuel Almunia was adjudged to have brought Wayne Rooney down. Rooney scored from the spot to level the score at 1-1 before About Diaby put in his own net to hand United a 2-1 victory.

In the 50th game of Arsenal's unbeaten run of 2003-04, United came with a game plan to kick Arsenal off the park, a ploy that was aided by bad refereeing. Arsenal forward Jose Antonio Reyes was almost massacred by Gary Neville, but referee Mike Riley took no action. Arsenal lost the game 2-0 and their unbeaten run came to an immediate halt.

https://m.sportskeeda.com/football/...-premier-league-referees-ahead-of-new-season#

I never thought I'd say that Mike Dean is one of the better referees. He comes across as arrogant but rarely do you see a player get in his face and try to affect the decision. Like all refs he gets some wrong but much less so than most of the others.

Despite his reputation, Mike Dean has been one of the better refs this season.
Trouble is, like most of us I suspect, I only ever look at decisions with a Bournemouth bias so Saturday I thought Moss had a shocker but if I sat down objectively he'd maybe only be sh1te instead of total sh1te !!

The pgmol are well funded to improve the performance of officials.
Moving towards 20 years of failure

What is PGMOL responsible for?
- Formed in 2001 to improve refereeing standards, the PGMOL group officiate across all the Premier League, English Football League (EFL) and Football Association (FA) Competitions – all three organisations fund it.
- The training, development and mentoring of 110 referees and 175 assistant referees – run by Managing Director Mike Riley (a former PGMOL referee) and a team of managers and coaches.
- The most high profile officials, the 17 full-time professional Select Group One referees.
- Currently, PGMOL have 65 Select Group who are full-time professional match officials, these are broken down between Select Group 1 Referees, Select Group 1 Assistant Referees and Select Group 2 Referees.

https://www.premierleague.com/referees

Still we should have a list chomping at the bit to ref tournaments. We are supposedly the best league in the world. We needs refs to match it

It's not about having refs 'chomping at the bit', it's about Clattenburg being the leading ref in the PL and on the the FIFA list when he quit but not enough time for another official to make it on the officials list.

;