The statement we’ve all been waiting for

I am.

I’m just fed up with the doom and gloom on here. DJ talking about the facilities not being updated in a story about Ake going to Man U or Spurs being the newest most bizarre biased take on what is normally a decently impartial front page.

If Man U or Spurs come in for Ake with the right money he will go. This would equally apply if we had the worlds best training facility and a 24000 stadium. To suggest otherwise is an insult to our intelligence. If training facilities and stadium size were important to players Cook, Brooks and Lerma would still be at Leeds, Sheff Utd and Levante respectively and Ake would never have been here. It’s nonsense and depressive.

Also, to keep suggesting the training ground impedes player development is hilarious when there is no evidence to suggest this and huge evidence to the contrary in 90% of the squad.

Pointing that out doesn’t mean I don’t want one!
Its not 'depressive', don't be silly. You say you want a new stadium but you cant put forward a single benefit of doing so. You are the one mired in misery ;-)

And before you ask, I did offer some positive reasons to SDD yesterday.

I agree with wallmth. Apparently Eddies been misguided on tactics and player selections according to you over the years, but when it comes to the stadium he's spot on! One is his job, the other isn't.

Anyway, as before, I'd take an expanded Ted Shed as a progressive sign.

My point is that you are banging on about returns / returns / returns as the reason its isnt happening.

Do you not think for a minute he sat down and worked all of that out in the years it took to locate the site for a stadium.
Why didn't they release the statement as soon as the transfer window closed,that's what I can't understand

I think the low baller may have been the ridiculous sudden rise in transfer fees . He was seemingly happy to buy land and get planning permission, no doubt he must have had an idea of cost and the returns, the same with the stadium but then bang £25 million on Lerma the price just went up and up and the realisation the new TV rights have blown transfer fees out of all proportion.

One possible bonus of transfer inflation is that we may well have already have a player on the books who’s sale could pay for a stadium in one shot. I have a suspicion Max and co are banking on that as a strategy (as much as it amounts to one)

One possible bonus of transfer inflation is that we may well have already have a player on the books who’s sale could pay for a stadium in one shot. I have a suspicion Max and co are banking on that as a strategy (as much as it amounts to one)
I think that's where the money is in the PL these days. What you receive in TV money you have to spend to compete. BUT if you manage to get a player at a good price ( possibly from the Championship ) and Eddie helps him to become great, you do have a chance to make a very decent profit on that player these days. All the more reason to employ a manager who doesn't insist on buying ready made players for top dollar. I think this is a good business model for Max and Eddie and of course it might take a couple of years before it bears fruit. With this transfer fee madness the nature of the business has changed significantly. You won't see a profit from the TV money since even bang average players are damn expensive these days but you do have a chance to make a decent profit with the players you buy, develop and sell.

....we have potentially Ake at around 40 million...Brooks at around 20 million....Fraser at around 15 million...aswell as Lerma, Rico, Begovic,King,Wilson, and Smith who could all fetch decent millions?

ironically...maybe the best time to 'invest' in a new ground is when we go down and have to sell our best players!!!

In all seriousness though we will do well sitting in the top six and keeping hold of the likes of Ake and Brooks IMO...

....we have potentially Ake at around 40 million...Brooks at around 20 million....Fraser at around 15 million...aswell as Lerma, Rico, Begovic,King,Wilson, and Smith who could all fetch decent millions?

ironically...maybe the best time to 'invest' in a new ground is when we go down and have to sell our best players!!!

In all seriousness though we will do well sitting in the top six and keeping hold of the likes of Ake and Brooks IMO...

Historically players a club can't afford to keep rarely sell for huge profits.

Keeping hold of players mean more inflated wages and less money to secure the future of the club.

I think that's where the money is in the PL these days. What you receive in TV money you have to spend to compete. BUT if you manage to get a player at a good price ( possibly from the Championship ) and Eddie helps him to become great, you do have a chance to make a very decent profit on that player these days. All the more reason to employ a manager who doesn't insist on buying ready made players for top dollar. I think this is a good business model for Max and Eddie and of course it might take a couple of years before it bears fruit. With this transfer fee madness the nature of the business has changed significantly. You won't see a profit from the TV money since even bang average players are damn expensive these days but you do have a chance to make a decent profit with the players you buy, develop and sell.

"What you receive in TV money you have to spend to compete"
2015-16 - lowest wage bill in the league
2016-17 - 3rd lowest wage bill in the league

"you do have a chance to make a very decent profit on that player these days"
We made about
£10M on Ritchie
£5M on Afobe,
We've lost
£8M on Gradel
£2M on Murray
£2M on Rantie
£2M on Grabban
£1M on Iturbe
and I doubt we'll see any profit from Ibe, B. Smith.

While we I don't expect profit from Lerma, Rico or Begovic they are at least getting game time.

I don't think the transfer market is a magic money tree.

Football is about getting players to play good football for the fans, to entertain, score goals and win things. Why is all the talk about Profit and Money. That's bloody Stock Exchange stuff!
Like a lot of others i'm being drawn to non-league for the first time in 50 odd years....tried 2 or 3 already and havn't exactly been disappointed so far.
I'm enjoying Boscombes heady days in the PL football-wise and the Ake/ Brookes/ Cook/ Lerma signings are great but only if they STAY and we aim for our OWN success now......not seeing future book- balancing as the Priority.! Otherwise What is the POINT?

Its not 'depressive', don't be silly. You say you want a new stadium but you cant put forward a single benefit of doing so. You are the one mired in misery ;-)

And before you ask, I did offer some positive reasons to SDD yesterday.

I agree with wallmth. Apparently Eddies been misguided on tactics and player selections according to you over the years, but when it comes to the stadium he's spot on! One is his job, the other isn't.

Anyway, as before, I'd take an expanded Ted Shed as a progressive sign.

Rob, do you seriously want me to list the benefits of having a thriving 25,000 seater stadium securing a future generation of fans, providing extra income and offering us a better future to prove to you I want one?

Really?

I’m not saying Eddie is spot on with the matter. Personally I would have had a training ground rather than Grabban and Ibe. I’m saying he is an intricate part of decision making at this club and complicit in spending the money where it has been spent.

My point is that you are banging on about returns / returns / returns as the reason its isnt happening.

Do you not think for a minute he sat down and worked all of that out in the years it took to locate the site for a stadium.

I think he did which was why he brought in Peak 6. I don’t stay that close to non footballing matters but when they came on board wasn’t the reason given that they would be necessary for the stadium building project?

I think he did which was why he brought in Peak 6. I don’t stay that close to non footballing matters but when they came on board wasn’t the reason given that they would be necessary for the stadium building project?

The only person I recall who suggested they were on board for the ground was Al. He even posted a pic of a stadium in Hungary and said Peak6 were all over it like a rash .

UEL suggested Peak6 paid for Wisheres loan and Defoe.

They own 25% of the club, perhaps they wont cough up 25% of the stadium / academy construction.

The great thing about this thread is that none of us know what’s going on, but we all like to think we know best.
My view is.. we spent around around 50 million and had sales around 20 million.
Was Eddie asked. You can have 30 million plus sales of players to to get us in to the top 7/8 but that will put a delay on facilities. I would think Eddie would like the challenge of the higher finish as long as he was given some assurance about the training and stadium in the future.
I would love more fans to get in to our stadium, I know loads who used to go but faded away like many others and now can’t get tickets, but I expect they had better things to do on a Saturday afternoon when we were crap. Unlike us sad bar stewards. :oops:

The only person I recall who suggested they were on board for the ground was Al. He even posted a pic of a stadium in Hungary and said Peak6 were all over it like a rash .

UEL suggested Peak6 paid for Wisheres loan and Defoe.

They own 25% of the club, perhaps they wont cough up 25% of the stadium / academy construction.

But if Al said it.....:grinning:

"What you receive in TV money you have to spend to compete"
2015-16 - lowest wage bill in the league
2016-17 - 3rd lowest wage bill in the league

"you do have a chance to make a very decent profit on that player these days"
We made about
£10M on Ritchie
£5M on Afobe,
We've lost
£8M on Gradel
£2M on Murray
£2M on Rantie
£2M on Grabban
£1M on Iturbe
and I doubt we'll see any profit from Ibe, B. Smith.

While we I don't expect profit from Lerma, Rico or Begovic they are at least getting game time.

I don't think the transfer market is a magic money tree.
And I’ll counter with Ake, L.Cook and Brooks. These are the new type of signings we have made with potential for very good returns ! I believe our buying policy has been adjusted since we realised that buying players just to do a job was not particularly viable for the bottom line. Since we don’t have an academy to speak of, buying and developing slightly under the radar players is our chance to bring in the profits we need to drive the club forwards. Let’s just wait and see but I believe off-field developments can be financed without Max signing too many cheques if we are shrewd in this crazy new transfer market,

I thought the 'development squad 'was an Academy as such..what's so different?
Just that we currently don't produce players who we sell on for a profit. We usually just let them go and ply their trade in the lower leagues. It's unlikely that our development squad will be much of an income stream in the foreseeable future, that's all I'm getting at. As opposed to Southampton, who for a good few years made good money blooding academy players in the PL and then selling them on for big bucks. I think that was quite good business for them for a while although that seems to have dried up a bit in the last year or two.
For us the money would be in finding hidden gems for reasonable money and letting Eddie bring them up to PL standard before selling them on for a decent profit. Since transfer prices seem to increase year on year, until the bubble bursts, I think there is good money to be made in this way. And since other than the TV money we basically have no other income ( thanks stadium ! ) it seems to me the only way we could finance the off-field plans without outside investment. And we have exactly the right manager for the job.

;