The statement we’ve all been waiting for

All clubs should be made to report attendances in an identical manner, the fiasco up at Old Trafford highlighted what a complete farce the whole thing is.

So whats your proposal?
How about something like this ...
1. Offer a proportionate refund for returned tickets. 2 weeks+ in advance, 60%; 1-2 weeks in advance 35%; game week 25%.
2. Club sells returned tickets at face value 1-2 days before the game. Walk up only. Must have a valid BM/conurbation address/identification card. No points required.
3. Or, in lieu of walk-up, people register in advance for wait list. Can register for either 1 or 2 tickets only. Similar residency requirements. A virtual queue is formed, people are advised by email that their number has come up, must pick up tickets in 24 hours, or go on to the next person. Miss your opportunity, down to the bottom of the queue.

Would take some organizing at the club offices, but only 19 times a year. What the heck, if only 450 of the 900 tickets are turned back out, that's 225 dads and their sons getting to see a game.

There are likely lots of reasons to say "that won't work" but at least it can be tried out and if it doesn't work, the club has yet another rationale. Doesn't help expats or foreigners, but we would probably only get to a game every couple of years anyway.

I think the club is keen to publicise the lowest possible attendances. Bit like a few years ago when they tried to make out we only had a handful of regular away match attendees. Makes it easier to defend the stadium situation.
My understanding is that we report 'tickets issued' as our attendance, which wouldn't be the 'lowest possible'. Obviously for safety and policing reasons, actual attendance is also monitored.

My mate is is a Liverpool fan and they have a fans site which you register with and you put up when you can’t make a game and you it works like ticket office, you same which game you can’t make a people just pay you face valve. How simple is that. Never work here as they have Tom make it as complex as possible to get anywhere near the ground

My understanding is that we report 'tickets issued' as our attendance, which wouldn't be the 'lowest possible'. Obviously for safety and policing reasons, actual attendance is also monitored.

Not possible, surely? If true, every game should be 11,383 or whatever the capacity is as every game sells out, but we report 10,xxx so it must be actual attendance rather than tickets sold.

Not possible, surely? If true, every game should be 11,383 or whatever the capacity is as every game sells out, but we report 10,xxx so it must be actual attendance rather than tickets sold.
But every game doesn't sell out. 'Available tickets' are sold out, but corporate, players, directors, away fans, officials etc don't necessarily.

How about something like this ...
1. Offer a proportionate refund for returned tickets. 2 weeks+ in advance, 60%; 1-2 weeks in advance 35%; game week 25%.
2. Club sells returned tickets at face value 1-2 days before the game. Walk up only. Must have a valid BM/conurbation address/identification card. No points required.
3. Or, in lieu of walk-up, people register in advance for wait list. Can register for either 1 or 2 tickets only. Similar residency requirements. A virtual queue is formed, people are advised by email that their number has come up, must pick up tickets in 24 hours, or go on to the next person. Miss your opportunity, down to the bottom of the queue.

Would take some organizing at the club offices, but only 19 times a year. What the heck, if only 450 of the 900 tickets are turned back out, that's 225 dads and their sons getting to see a game.

There are likely lots of reasons to say "that won't work" but at least it can be tried out and if it doesn't work, the club has yet another rationale. Doesn't help expats or foreigners, but we would probably only get to a game every couple of years anyway.

A really sensible idea but would be let down by the rank incompetence behind non-football matters.

If our ticketing department is asked to perform to the same levels as most non-league clubs they fall miserably short and then release 'statements' as thinly veiled insults to the fan base.

It's a good day when they all remember to do their shoe laces up properly.

But every game doesn't sell out. 'Available tickets' are sold out, but corporate, players, directors, away fans, officials etc don't necessarily.

There never looks to be noticeable gaps in that section though, it's usually more towards the ends of the main stand from TV.

The capacity last season - which I assume we declare to the Premier League - was 11,360 (11,329 this). Now, every match sold out. So you'd assume that 11,360 tickets were issued for every game. But they weren't. The most tickets that were issued was 11,184 for the Arsenal game. And the average number of tickets issued was 11,105.

So I'm putting it down to freebies - the amount of which must vary from match to match - not being counted in this figure of tickets issued, and I'm guessing that a majority of them aren't going through a turnstile to gain ground entry.

This discrepancy in attendances only started occurring last season. In 2016/17 - when declared capacity was 11,464 - the highest number of tickets issued was 11,459 against Liverpool and the average was 11,389.

So, something's changed, but what?

You tell me.

The capacity last season - which I assume we declare to the Premier League - was 11,360 (11,329 this). Now, every match sold out. So you'd assume that 11,360 tickets were issued for every game. But they weren't. The most tickets that were issued was 11,184 for the Arsenal game. And the average number of tickets issued was 11,105.

So I'm putting it down to freebies - the amount of which must vary from match to match - not being counted in this figure of tickets issued, and I'm guessing that a majority of them aren't going through a turnstile to gain ground entry.

This discrepancy in attendances only started occurring last season. In 2016/17 - when declared capacity was 11,464 - the highest number of tickets issued was 11,459 against Liverpool and the average was 11,389.

So, something's changed, but what?

You tell me.

Is this connected to the bundle of tickets Fletch gives out in the changing room?

;