The wee turd.

We all have anomalies in our family WW2 history. According to Ancestry my Dad served on a vessel in Malta harbour during the war. This small ship, HMS St Angelo was destroyed by the enemy. In fact my Dad never served on her but did spend some time in the St Angelo fort on the island before posting to Iceland to teach aircraft recognition to US ship's gunners to avoid the frequent blue on blue events.

6 years!

The second world war lasted for a month less than 6 years.
The Desert War, was basically 1940 to 1943; after El Alamein, after the Afrika Korps had been booted out of N. Africa followed by the invasion of Sicily, there was no need for tanks in Egypt and Libya.

My maternal Grandfather took part in that campaign, driving a tank, before a lengthy period of leave back in Blighty, whereupon he then took his tank ashore in Operation Overlord.

Your father spent six years in the desert?
You don't half spout some utter tosh!

Remember, there's only one rope on a ship, that's the bell rope. Everything else is a line or a sheet.

My uncle Pete was in the tanks in the desert. I have his tank corps badge and a cloth desert rats badge. He was repatriated after the campaign and had a very long leave because, apart from training I suppose, he didn't drive a tank again until The Alles were at Germany's door. AFAIK he didn't once see proper front action (i.e. face-to-face with the enemy shooting directly at you) after North Africa. I have an idea that the desert was quite enough.

Thank you for that little snippet about the rope. That could come in handy in a trivia quiz one day.

my grandad pretended he had a bad leg, despite having the nickname "the iron man" playing two games every weekend for "the argentine" & "wood green town", and avoided all war action, and stayed in london as a taxi driver & bookies runner. truly heroic.

:utc:

What was his unit?
Give him
11th Hussars, were gone by the time WW2 kicked off.

https://www.britishmilitaryhistory....tes/124/2020/07/British-Troops-Egypt-1937.pdf

https://www.britishmilitaryhistory....tes/124/2020/07/British-Troops-Egypt-1939.pdf

The British military didn't keep personnel on station for years on end. Everybody got leave and units were constantly rotated.

My uncle, 2nd East Surreys (remains in CWG at Bournemouth North Cemetery) was rotated from India in '38, sent over to the continent with the BEF and evacuated from Dunkirk in '40, then went on extended leave, firstly at Axminster, then Westbourne (where he was blown to pieces by a German aerial bomb in 1940)
His unit, took no active part in fighting, until Operation Torch.

My grandfather, after Operation Torch, had extended leave in England, until Operation Overlord.

Why would your father not see your mother for 6 years? Even another uncle, who was in Burma and then a Japanese POW camp, spent fewer than 6 years, not seeing his family.
Surely you are not questioning Brian has got his facts wrong ?......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My dad was in the 11th Hussars and was a driving instructor at Bovington Camp, however he didn’t join the army until after the war so they must have still been around.

And there we have it; thread drift complete.
Subject will be shot at dawn, tomorrow.
YOU brought the subject to the fore yesterday - maybe close it for your own purposes by Checking Out the 11th Hussars more comprehensively I.e with Battle Honours for WW2..They were indeed there during the 40s... and my Dads time out in North Africa WAS exactly 6 years !
He didn't enjoy it much...but didnt want to come home - whilst there he had discovered that his 'mum' wasn't his real mum ..but his 'elder sister' Was!
He had an attachment for a year or so, with his tank, to the underrated desert - wise Australian Army and tried to get over to Aussie instead at the end..however getting Malaria hijacked his ' plan!

Last edited:
YOU brought the subject to the fore yesterday - maybe close it for your own purposes by Checking Out the 11th Hussars more comprehensively I.e with Battle Honours for WW2..They were indeed there during the 40s... and my Dads time out in North Africa WAS exactly 6 years !
He didn't enjoy it much...but didnt want to come home - whilst there he had discovered that his 'mum wasn't his real mum but his ' elder sister' was!
He had an attachment for a year or so, with his tank, to the underrated desert - wise Australian Army and tried to get over to Aussie instead at the end..however getting Malaria hijacked his ' plan!
Well Brian.....if nothing else think you win the the prize for the poster, that has told us more of his and families personal history than anyone else.........not sure if it's just me , but find it strange that when challenged on anything you feel the need to go into "Walter Mitty " drive......:cool:

Well Brian.....if nothing else think you win the the prize for the poster, that has told us more of his and families personal history than anyone else.........not sure if it's just me , but find it strange that when challenged on anything you feel the need to go into "Walter Mitty " drive......:cool:

Thanks for that T is K....
.on the occasion of rgb's challenge I felt a need to put my father's and his regiments war details into a more accurate zone. There was nothing W.Mitty anywhere near about it.
I think if you met me in person you would surprisingly encounter a perfectly sane and honest being !
I could tone down some of my more flamboyant posts....or you could maybe spend more valuable time getting immersed in say JimnNinas and Stan's very serious Brexit monologues..

But at the end of the day something has to fill the voids between Football Fixtures!

He didn't enjoy it much...but didnt want to come home - whilst there he had discovered that his 'mum'wasn't his real mum ..but his ' elder sister' Was!

Brian, there's no gentle way to put this; you're not the subject of the thread.

That's correct, they started In ' armoured cars'. !
The full story goes even further and deeper than that article...the last vehicle my dad drove in the desert was a large American tank...after much time in the cheaply built and cramped British Matilda tanks ( the Mk 2 version was better after the Mk 1 was withdrawn around 40/41.. but overall things had to change drastically to keep pace with the enemy.. the equipment wore out quickly on the sand.
Why the American intervention was important for supplies of everything.

That's correct, they started In ' armoured cars'. !
The full story goes even further and deeper than that article...the last vehicle my dad drove in the desert was a large American tank...after much time in the cheaply built and cramped British Matilda tanks ( the Mk 2 version was better after the Mk 1 was withdrawn around 40/41.. but overall things had to change drastically to keep pace with the enemy.. the equipment wore out quickly on the sand.
Why the American intervention was important for supplies of everything.

https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/allied/regimentrac.php?pid=1058

In September 1940 when Italy declared war on Britain and France, the 11th Hussars were in Egypt with the 7th Armoured Division (known as the Desert Rats). Equipped with obsolete Rolls-Royce and Morris armoured cars, the regiment were engaged in raids against Italian positions in the Western Desert Campaign. They captured Fort Capuzzo and captured General Lastucci, the Engineer-in-Chief of the Italian Tenth Army in an ambush east of Bardia.
The 11th Hussars took part in Operation Compass that was launched against the Italian forces in Egypt and Libya. They joined the ad hoc combat unit named Combe Force (lead by Lieutenant-Colonel John Combe) which cut off the retreating Tenth Army near Beda Fomm, unable to break through the defensive positions the Italians surrendered en-masse as the 6th Australian Division closed in on them from their rear.

The 11th Hussars (Prince Albert's Own) was a cavalry regiment of the British Army and can be traced back to 1715. In 1940, the 11th was based in Egypt and became part of the 7th Armoured Division (The Desert Rats) equipped with armoured cars during the Western Desert Campaign. In September 1940, when the Italians invaded Egypt the 11th Hussars were part of the British covering force and they took part in the counterattack, Operation Compass against the Italian forces in Egypt and Libya. They returned to Britain in January 1944, docking at Glasgow and moved to Ashridge Park near Berkhamstead, to begin training for the Normandy Campaign.
The 11th Hussars boarded the MT Bradford City at Millwall Docks on the 5th of June 1944. They landed on the 9th of June near the small village of Conseulles, Normandy. After fierce fighting in Normandy they advanced to the Seine, on to the Somme and crossed into Belgium by September, they fought their way towards Berlin, being near the Kiel Canal on VE Day and entering the German capital in July 1945.

http://www.desertrats.org.uk/equipment.htm

Armoured Cars:

At the beginning of the war the 11th Hussars were equipped with the Rolls Royce and Morris Armoured Cars, but the war progressed the Marmon-Harrington and Humber Scout Car and Armoured Car became available, along with the Daimler Scout Car and Armoured Car.
From about 1944 onwards the Staghound range of Armoured Cars was issued to the British Army, which saw them through to the end of the war, along with some of Daimler and Humber Cars. Anti-aircraft Armoured cars were deployed as early as October 1942, with the Humber Quad AA Car filling this role This later to be replaced by the Staghound Dual 0.5" AA Car.
Although perhaps not as famous as the tank the development of the Armoured Car is an interesting story and this section also includes information on the Vickers K Gun which was fitted to many Scout and Armoured Cars.

;