Thoughts on today v Luton

Controversial opinion coming up: we were pretty dire second half, but from our position in the South Stand, right behind Travers, it didn’t feel particularly nervy. They pumped it long and we coped with it well. Kelly and Cahill excellent in the air. At no stage did I think they would pinch it. Total faith in this defence!

I think that sums it up perfectly. Sooner or later our luck will change and a team will score in the first 10 minutes so it will be interesting to see what SP s tactics are then.
Tbh in some ways it might suit us to be the ones who have to have the impetus to chase the game. We’ve been defending deeper in second halves because we’ve had something to protect. In fairness to Parker, he does at least recognise in his post match interview that we need to manage the game better in these situations. So at least he’s not oblivious to it.

There does seem to be a bit of a pattern forming in recent home games. Would love to see us break out of that by being more positive at times, but can't argue with the ability to dig in.

Luton are no mugs I think. I gather they had a few out today so that wasn't their strongest side.
Yeah thank God they have an injury crisis!

Controversial opinion coming up: we were pretty dire second half, but from our position in the South Stand, right behind Travers, it didn’t feel particularly nervy. They pumped it long and we coped with it well. Kelly and Cahill excellent in the air. At no stage did I think they would pinch it. Total faith in this defence!
Tbf their Striker missed a chance that a Sunday league player would put away after downing 15 pints of Stella.

Tbh in some ways it might suit us to be the ones who have to have the impetus to chase the game. We’ve been defending deeper in second halves because we’ve had something to protect. In fairness to Parker, he does at least recognise in his post match interview that we need to manage the game better in these situations. So at least he’s not oblivious to it.
And to be fair we defended quite comfortably. We had a lead and we protected it. Job done.

You might be right about chasing the game but I seem to remember that we haven't been great against teams that sit back. I'm thinking of Cardiff and Hull? was it?
I think we created plenty in both of those games tbh, I like to think we are better set up to beat a low block now.

Those 2 saves from Travers made me nervous.

Christie's effort, whilst the scores were 0-0, whilst a daisy-cutter, was clearly on target. Easy to see from the Main Stand, saved by Sluga. The web stats are incorrect (and mostly irrelevant)

Edited to add:
Their goal was an own-goal by Kelly. Given as such in the report on the BBC but still showing Burke as goal-scorer at the top of the page.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58606187
I think that sums it up perfectly. Sooner or later our luck will change and a team will score in the first 10 minutes so it will be interesting to see what SP s tactics are then.
At the moment other teams DON'T score at all in the first half against us!

And to be fair we defended quite comfortably. We had a lead and we protected it. Job done.
You can't say we defended well when we gave up such guilt edged chances....they had 7 shots inside our area!..... defending well means denying the opposition goal scoring opportunities...
Not relying on their strikers being hopeless.

I suspect I'll get pelters for this, but when our backs are to the wall, Zemura worries me. When we're pushing forward he's great but today, Blackpool and I think QPR targeted him and got a good amount of success down that flank.

Still had a fantastic start to the season and I'm a fan of his, but he needs help when things get ugly.

I suspect I'll get pelters for this, but when our backs are to the wall, Zemura worries me. When we're pushing forward he's great but today, Blackpool and I think QPR targeted him and got a good amount of success down that flank.

Still had a fantastic start to the season and I'm a fan of his, but he needs help when things get ugly.
Lost the ball a couple of times upfield and we could easily of been punished.

Sometimes you judge a game on it's own, sometimes it forms part of an overarching pattern to consider.

Slow start? Check.
AFCB goal against the run of play? Check.
AFCB dominate and score a second? Check.
Opposition make tactical changes at half time? Check.
The balance of play completely changes in the second half? Check.
Parker doesn't make changes? Check.
They score? Check.
Parker then looks to shut up shop? Check.
Nail biting finish? Check.

There are always unexpected games when you need to sit in to protect a lead. It shouldn't be happening in virtually every match though. It's a sign something isn't quite right in the tactics. Especially with that regular pattern.

Having said all that, we're top of the table and remain unbeaten in the league. Still, that doesn't mean we shouldn't recognise where we have an issue. That was the mistake with Tindall, a belief as long as the points came it would all work out in the end. Let's not allow history to repeat itself.

Postives: Christie's first half performance

Negatives: Christie and Billing's second half performances. Anonymous would be kind. Plus, the second half tactics.

Interesting thinking about last season:

Still seeing a sluggish start at home as we did under JT eg Barnsley, qpr and Luton on top early before we get a goal

We are not falling behind when under pressure due mainly to Gary Cahill’s organisation

Still prone to Jeckyll/Hyde games eg Preston last season when a great first half saw us disappear after the break. Today likewise

When under pressure we seem to have a knack of nicking goals. Big plus is Dom scoring more; bit more creativity from likes of christie: and stronger left back attacking.

Seems like a bit more willingness to scrap to get through games vs JT

Less fluent attacking wise then under Woody but then danjuma was a key player last season but we have kept billing’s attacking form

This is is weird thread. We’re unbeaten and top of the league lol

If you watched the second half vs Luton and seen some of the weaknesses shown over a friendly September fixture list, you would understand why this thread is happening given that October offers a step up in difficult games.

Good thing is SP recognises we need to improve so isn’t being carried away plus I hope we will step up our performances vs harder opponents.

Last edited:

;