Thoughts on today v Luton

I suspect I'll get pelters for this, but when our backs are to the wall, Zemura worries me. When we're pushing forward he's great but today, Blackpool and I think QPR targeted him and got a good amount of success down that flank.

Still had a fantastic start to the season and I'm a fan of his, but he needs help when things get ugly.
The thing is with him the pros are massive and his energy and attacking threat are a joy to watch. In return there will be a few negatives whilst defending plus he is young .

for me i would take him all day long to attack like he can and at times we will get exposed

Interesting thinking about last season:

Still seeing a sluggish start at home as we did under JT eg Barnsley, qpr and Luton on top early before we get a goal

We are not falling behind when under pressure due mainly to Gary Cahill’s organisation

Still prone to Jeckyll/Hyde games eg Preston last season when a great first half saw us disappear after the break. Today likewise

When under pressure we seem to have a knack of nicking goals. Big plus is Dom scoring more; bit more creativity from likes of christie: and stronger left back attacking.

Seems like a bit more willingness to scrap to get through games vs JT

Less fluent attacking wise then under Woody but then danjuma was a key player last season but we have kept billing’s attacking form
If you watched the second half vs Luton and seen some of the weaknesses shown over a friendly September fixture list, you would understand why this thread is happening given that October offers a step up in difficult games.

Good thing is SP recognises we need to improve so isn’t being carried away plus I hope we will step up our performances vs harder opponents.
I did watch it. I was there. I just think it’s funny how unhappy we seem as a group given our position this season.

I did watch it. I was there. I just think it’s funny how unhappy we seem as a group given our position this season.
I think we are all delighted to be top but the second half is a real wake up call - as was Blackpool and qpr. Those weren’t great displays but it’s great to see the fight and determination to get us over the line. That augurs well for the season as it was lacking a lot last season. Think some of the frailties will be tested more in October than in September.

My thoughts for what it's worth.
Last season, Cardiff and Luton with their aerial onslaught would've beaten us.
Six points from those games shows a massive difference in this team.
Cargill makes a huge difference.

Agree - both ends of the pitch making the difference. Quality in attacking side is helping us get goals when under pressure while Cahill is showing us all what a prem league defender really looks like. Hoping kelly and meps step up their learning.

Top of the league and unbeaten. So proud of the boys and you have to give a very respectful nod to Scott Parker. But why do we have to play an apparently negative style after a first half domination, desperately hanging on to a lead, time wasting at every opportunity ?? Bring on Lowe, much earlier, the lad will be desperate to prove himself, superstar Brooks for Christie, play with the confidence of a top of the table team. Isn't attack the best form of defence ?

Controversial opinion coming up: we were pretty dire second half, but from our position in the South Stand, right behind Travers, it didn’t feel particularly nervy. They pumped it long and we coped with it well. Kelly and Cahill excellent in the air. At no stage did I think they would pinch it. Total faith in this defence!
Not controversial at all. I was also in the south stand, and never felt we would drop the points.

Some of the posts on here are beyond belief. Goals change matches. We have been excellent this season. The comparison to Eddies team is also rose tinted. At this stage we only had about 10/12 points. In other words that team improved as the season went on. From memory we had lost to Forest, Leeds and drawn with Rotherham at home by this stage.

We have won 6, drawn 3, lost none. Jesus what do people want?

Would I want us to come out and dominate teams for 90 minutes every game? Of course I would. It doesn't happen does it?

Fulham have only won 1 of their last 4 games for example. Imagine the melt down on here if we had lost away to Blackpool and home to Reading.

What's a low block?

Basically it’s having your defensive line constantly deep, maybe on your 18 yard line and then the midfield line also deep just a few yards in front of it. The players then just keep their shape rather than trying to press the opposition to win the ball back.

You could call it “parking the bus”.

Delighted with the three points…..again.
If we want to look a bit more comfortable against teams that employ the ‘direct style’ then I think we need to work on getting solid possession after an opposing teams attack breaks down.

My thoughts for what it's worth.
Last season, Cardiff and Luton with their aerial onslaught would've beaten us.
Six points from those games shows a massive difference in this team.
Cargill makes a huge difference.

I noticed Forest Green Rovers are top of Divvy 4

On Quest last night Ian Holloway was in raptures about our first goal. The Christie dink and the Billing finish were showing the best this league has to offer. Said Billing could become a top class player. I hope we can keep him in the summer.

Not controversial at all. I was also in the south stand, and never felt we would drop the points.

Some of the posts on here are beyond belief. Goals change matches. We have been excellent this season. The comparison to Eddies team is also rose tinted. At this stage we only had about 10/12 points. In other words that team improved as the season went on. From memory we had lost to Forest, Leeds and drawn with Rotherham at home by this stage.

We have won 6, drawn 3, lost none. Jesus what do people want?

Would I want us to come out and dominate teams for 90 minutes every game? Of course I would. It doesn't happen does it?

Fulham have only won 1 of their last 4 games for example. Imagine the melt down on here if we had lost away to Blackpool and home to Reading.

I think the difference is, with EH's team we were absolutely tearing teams to shreds but not getting the points we deserved. The Forest game in particular springs to mind where Stuart Pearce, their then manager, later admitted a fair result would have been 5-0 to us.

I remember posting something at the time along the lines of 'the team aren't getting the luck. The key is how they react. If they can keep their heads up and keep playing the same way the results will come.' The luck couldn't stay against us forever.

Now it's the opposite. We're playing well but there's also been an element of fortune about some of our recent results. That won't hold forever either. Therefore we need to make a step up in our play and put games to bed when they're at our mercy.

There's nothing wrong with recognising good things are happening and positive play styles and partnerships are starting to emerge but also pointing out where things aren't working so well.

I think the difference is, with EH's team we were absolutely tearing teams to shreds but not getting the points we deserved. The Forest game in particular springs to mind where Stuart Pearce, their then manager, later admitted a fair result would have been 5-0 to us.

I remember posting something at the time along the lines of 'the team aren't getting the luck. The key is how they react. If they can keep their heads up and keep playing the same way the results will come.' The luck couldn't stay against us forever.

Now it's the opposite. We're playing well but there's also been an element of fortune about some of our recent results. That won't hold forever either. Therefore we need to make a step up in our play and put games to bed when they're at our mercy.

There's nothing wrong with recognising good things are happening and positive play styles and partnerships are starting to emerge but also pointing out where things aren't working so well.

We could have put 7 or 8 past Barnsley the other weekend and it wouldn't have flattered us.

Like Rob says, always room for improvement, but it must be noted we are holding out for results still. One thing Howe was sorrt of criticised for was the ongoing ability to not see games out

Agreed. It was a performance that most days would only garner a point but there was still a lot to like.

Agreed. It was a performance that most days would only garner a point but there was still a lot to like.
I do agree, however I still maintain, when you are two up, the stats will tell you, that you probably win 80%+ of the time.

You dont need to play in a gung ho way. If Luton had took the lead, as they should have done, who knows, we may have been talking about a swashbuckling comeback. They didn't and we comfortably did what we needed to do.

The test, will come when we do actually go behind.

;