Thoughts v Brum

Not defending Lerma in any way shape or form, but did the ball go out of play before the challenge?

Doesn't matter if it did.... unless you mean a throw should have been given and so that chance shouldn't have developed? I'm probably following this one incorrectly.

Impossible to say but if Lerma hadn't reacted with a push I think he may have got a yellow. Given that he booked the Brum player, he then either had to give Lerma two yellows or a straight red so he saved himself some paperwork.

It's one that could be argued either way but if the players were reversed I'd be demanding a red for it.
If you're right, then that's just terrible refereeing. (I know you're speculating). So, because he can't be bothered to do 2 yellows, Lerma's banned for 3 games instead of 1? I think that's how it would work with the 2 yellows.

I'd say more than the red card, the decision that annoyed me was the penalty not being given in the first half. The defender slides in and clearly knocks it away with his arm. Any ideas why that wasn't given? A bit like Kris Temple, I've lost track of the current handball regulations but that seemed blatant.

Very chartible to suggest Philips was blameless for heading the ball into our net. Presumably he was attempting to clear the fast post but basically tucked it in the far corner away from where Travers had it covered. Maybe it'll look less clumbsy on a second viewing.

Lerma's challenge was stupid but in the context of a game where LOTS was let go, including a blatent handball in the first half the red felt harsh.

I'd say more than the red card, the decision that annoyed me was the penalty not being given in the first half. The defender slides in and clearly knocks it away with his arm. Any ideas why that wasn't given? A bit like Kris Temple, I've lost track of the current handball regulations but that seemed blatant.
maybe VAR would of given it?

I've lost track as well, one of the recent laws was that as you're sliding your arm is 'naturally' you holding you up. However, scooping the ball away - like it seemed in this instance, shouldn't count! (Edit: shouldnt count, as holding you up, so should have been a pen).

If the ref was following the game, why didn't he give a straight red instead of waiting?
when he saw the name Lerma on the shirt of the tackler his mind was made up.
The club should challenge the red but knowing the FA it will be pointless.

If the ref was following the game, why didn't he give a straight red instead of waiting?
when he saw the name Lerma on the shirt of the tackler his mind was made up.
The club should challenge the red but knowing the FA it will be pointless.
Probably waiting for everything to calm down .
Lerma put in a daft challenge , then gets involved in a pushing match and then runs off as if nothing had happened .

I may be wrong, but I believe a supporting arm during a sliding tackle is considered to be a "natural" position and thus isn't a handball if the ball is kicked into it. However, if he made use of that arm beyond supporting his body as he went to ground, such as swatting at the ball with his hand to gather it, then that would not longer be "natural" and should be a handball.

Very chartible to suggest Philips was blameless for heading the ball into our net. Presumably he was attempting to clear the fast post but basically tucked it in the far corner away from where Travers had it covered. Maybe it'll look less clumbsy on a second viewing.

Maybe not blameless, but not something to hang on someone like an albatross. If a defender thinks they can block a shot on goal they will try to block it 100% of the time, they don't have eyes in the back of their head to know the keeper's position. Sometimes the unfortunate deflection happens and you just have to move on, I'm sure it's happened great players here before, like Cook and Ake. Was it the wrong choice in hindsight - probably. Would I want him to go for it every time instead of none of the time - absolutely.

Would add Zemura to the "Room for improvement" list, with a light hand. Still good when he got into attack, but most of the dangerous crosses were coming from his side because he couldn't close down the attacker before they crossed it. He's young and I have every confidence in him getting better at the defensive side, but that's the definition of room for improvement.

Outside of that and Lerma's stupid red card (haven't seen a replay to tell if the foul was worthy of a red, could have gotten a 2x yellow for the foul and push, but with it being a straight red there may be a chance at appeal if the foul wasn't that bad), great performance all around. Billing and Christie were dangerous, Anthony and Solanke finding form again, Cantwell looks to be the missing piece as the right forward mid to pair with Billing in Parker's formation, Lerma was solid before the red and Cook deputized well enough when he was on, defense was mostly good aside from some crosses. Dembele showed some spark, so he provides a good attacking option, not enough time from Moore today to judge, will have to see more Moore.

Zemura did clear the ball off the line near the end. I thought he had a pretty good game.

Why on earth did some people clap Lerma off and chant his name like some sort of hero?! He did a ridiculous challenge in the first half when he got nowhere near the ball too
I must admit I was really annoyed with Jeff, sending off on the other side of the pitch, assumed the ref sent him off for the pushing afterwards.
I thought here we go, Coventry again.
No way was I going to clap him off!! Parker needs to get a Spanish interpreter and have a long chat with Jeff, he's a marked man.

Travers Man of the Match for me by a mile, what a player. In my opinion, at least as good as Rambo.

I've lost track as well, one of the recent laws was that as you're sliding your arm is 'naturally' you holding you up. However, scooping the ball away - like it seemed in this instance, shouldn't count! (Edit: shouldnt count, as holding you up, so should have been a pen).
If it's the one I'm thinking of then it hit his foot first then ricocheted onto his hand. Which IIRC isn't a foul this week.

Had serious flashbacks to the Coventry game when lerma got sent off. Such a utterly stupid red card too. Luckily we nicked a goal and held on
First half we were immense but the second half was awful again, idk wtf Parker says to them at half time.
Travers was absolutely top class tonight and woodman will be enjoying a nice stint on the bench.

Enjoyed that. Took my nephew for his 2nd game, the first being Blackburn and we were considerably better than that day.

Cantwell looks the business, a bit heavy footed with a couple passes in the 1st half but can put that down to lack of game time I suppose. He was positive and doesn't slow the game down.

I haven't seen the Lerma challenge again yet, but at the time I thought it was just a hard tackle and harsh for him to be shown red. It didn't look like the ref was ready to send him off until after the handbags, so I'm looking forward to seeing it again. His passing had been generally awful all game though and he was playing like he'd had a shot of nightnurse before kick off.

Travers my motm and Philips was a beast in the 2nd half.

Lerma's challenge was stupid but in the context of a game where LOTS was let go, including a blatent handball in the first half the red felt harsh.

I remember getting loads of grief on here for suggesting that it wasn't very good when Jeff volleyed the ball into his own goal against Arsenal. The idea is to keep the ball put of the net so if you try to clear it and it goes in the top corner then that is sh*t play in my view.

I don't think Philips should be dropped or anything but if you go to block the ball you need to get more on it than that.

;