Thoughts v Cardiff

Whoosh. It was a joke dm8.

I think Gary Cahill has just a one year contract. That fits with his stated intention that he wants to achieve something (promotion or winning the Championship title) rather than just keeping on playing for the sake of it.

Whoosh. It was a joke dm8.

I think Gary Cahill has just a one year contract. That fits with his stated intention that he wants to achieve something (promotion or winning the Championship title) rather than just keeping on playing for the sake of it.
Yes and it’s more dignified winning or trying to win the championship after his incredible career than playing half the amount of PL games and when you do chasing Mane and Sterling as they disappear in front of you…

You don’t seem to understand that what they both achieved at 24 is not relevant. I’m talking about Gary Cahill now, the 36 year old version. His legs have understandably gone a bit and despite his composure he does have limitations as a defender at this level, CCV does not have any limitations.
Don't be ridiculous. CCV doesn't have any limitations? I didn't see the top European clubs sniffing around him when Spurs decided he wasn't good enough for them.

Don't be ridiculous. CCV doesn't have any limitations? I didn't see the top European clubs sniffing around him when Spurs decided he wasn't good enough for them.

Exactly, every player has different strengths/weaknesses, to varying degrees of course.

If he was that good he wouldn't be on loan in the championship or Scottish Prem.

He may be more more mobile than cahill, but I'm certain cahill has other attributes that are stronger than ccv.

Exactly, every player has different strengths/weaknesses, to varying degrees of course.

If he was that good he wouldn't be on loan in the championship or Scottish Prem.

He may be more more mobile than cahill, but I'm certain cahill has other attributes that are stronger than ccv.
Not having any noticeable limitations is a bit different to being the perfect player. From what I saw of CCV he did not have any noticeable weak points to his game, perhaps he doesn’t particularly excel at any specific attribute either. He’s mobile enough but not exactly quick, he’s decent in the air but lacks a bit of height, he seems to read the game well but perhaps not quite well enough to be trusted at the top level. It’s just my view that at this level he’s absolutely everything you could want from a centre half, Cahill’s main strength is his composure and his reading of the game but he does have his limitations and hasn’t been faultless. I don’t think there’s a lot in it but if I had a choice I’d go for CCV, just an opinion.

Not having any noticeable limitations is a bit different to being the perfect player. From what I saw of CCV he did not have any noticeable weak points to his game, perhaps he doesn’t particularly excel at any specific attribute either. He’s mobile enough but not exactly quick, he’s decent in the air but lacks a bit of height, he seems to read the game well but perhaps not quite well enough to be trusted at the top level. It’s just my view that at this level he’s absolutely everything you could want from a centre half, Cahill’s main strength is his composure and his reading of the game but he does have his limitations and hasn’t been faultless. I don’t think there’s a lot in it but if I had a choice I’d go for CCV, just an opinion.

fair summary. as much as I rate cahill, I'd probably have taken ccv if given the chance. particularly as they're at opposite ends of their career and ccv proven he was a top cb for this level and only likely to get better.

that said, cahill could be have a significant positive impact through mental attributes - leadership, composure, how he deals with big games/pressure situations etc. plus mentoring others.

;