Thoughts v Coventry

Same here. Being nearly the last kick of the game (and a misplaced cross) made it all the worse. I listened on the radio, and the commentator had a habit of making every single attack sound like a good chance. My nerves were shredded. Still feeling like I been kicked in the stomach. Pah.
Every single attack looked like a good chance tbf.

Urgh how many times do cross like that harmlessly sail into the keepers arms or out of play.
I could feel it coming for the last 5 minutes tbf though.
What really niggles me is how they scored in the extra time they had created through timewasting from the first minute

Anthony's goal was also a cross which bent inside the post thanks to the wind and the cov equaliser was scored in time added for Travers feigning injury so you really do need to get real.
Bournemouth again got what they deserved but this time for shockingly poor game management after the red.
Credit where it's due to Coventry, they were down to the bare bones of a squad and couldn't even put out a full bench. They're clearly a decent side and it's all been built on a shoestring budget.

Same here. Being nearly the last kick of the game (and a misplaced cross) made it all the worse. I listened on the radio, and the commentator had a habit of making every single attack sound like a good chance. My nerves were shredded. Still feeling like I been kicked in the stomach. Pah.

I'm still in a bad mood. I know I should be heartened by the actual performance for the first 70 mins, but it isn't much solace. Maybe I celebrated the goal that Fulham let in too much (that should never have stood - actually that has cheered me up a little)

Here is the xG timeline. I haven't had the desire to watch the extended highlights yet, so sorry for lack of context.

The first 60 mins were actually very cagey - from the radio commentary it seems like we had the ball but were struggling to break through a stubborn backline. For the first 65 mins there was hardly a good chance created (Godden in the area about 1 in 6 for them) and Anthony's goal, which was a cross that would sneak in at the far post, if no-one got a touch and the keeper anticipated contact.

A similar cross put us 2-0 up with Billing getting on to the end of it (2 in 3), with Phil Bill having moments before got round the keeper but hitting the side netting (44%), Things were looking good, until Lerma's send off (hard to dispute this in my view). Although we created another good chance (1 in 3) with Solanke, and were stopping them creating good chances. Until the 85th minute when Travers parried out Kelly's shot (1 in 10), and Godden squeezed the ball home (about 1 in 5). Despite it sounding like constant pressure, the corner count was going up fast, it was only in added on time that the chances started to come, with eventually Coventry equalising with nearly the last kick of the match, from a misplaced cross (1 in 20)

Coventry.JPG

Urgh how many times do cross like that harmlessly sail into the keepers arms or out of play.
I could feel it coming for the last 5 minutes tbf though.
What really niggles me is how they scored in the extra time they had created through timewasting from the first minute

I was in main stand towards Ted Mac end and as the cross was fired it felt like the wind picked up as was thinking how cold it felt. Maybe this helped to deceive travers

Well, at least we didn't lose! And we obviously made mistskes which more importantly we need to learn from going forwards!

I always thought that every club undertook 10 V 11 games in training sesions, but it seems for some reason that we don't seem to! Maybe we don't have 21 players who aren't injured at the moment!

Sitting deep and hoping for the best just doesn't work against the better teams in this league as we found out yesterday.

For me we really need to improve vastly on our approach to going down to 10 men and become experts in managing such situations.

Hindsight suggests to me that Lerma yesterday (and Mepham in last seasons Brentford play-off game) shouldn't have brought their man down and taken a red for the team in the process! Whereas hindsight suggests that Cahill perhaps should have stopped Afobe going clean through on goal in the Millwall game, paricularly as he was so far up the pitch he might have escaped a straight red in the process!

I really do think that every squad player needs to know before each game whether or not to impede an opponent if clean through, depending on what the score is, how long is left, where they are on the pitch, whether there is a covering defender etc. Indeed these factors could form the basis of multiple guess exam questions LOL!

Not sure why people are assuming that we don’t practice 10 v 11?

When we played out a perfect 10 v 11 at Forest I don’t remember people assuming we do practice them.

Kilkenny took a touch when he should have put the ball behind for a corner. Travers misjudged a wind assisted cross in last kick of game. It wasn’t tactics it was individual errors.

Well, at least we didn't lose! And we obviously made mistskes which more importantly we need to learn from going forwards!

I always thought that every club undertook 10 V 11 games in training sesions, but it seems for some reason that we don't seem to! Maybe we don't have 21 players who aren't injured at the moment!

Sitting deep and hoping for the best just doesn't work against the better teams in this league as we found out yesterday.

For me we really need to improve vastly on our approach to going down to 10 men and become experts in managing such situations.

Hindsight suggests to me that Lerma yesterday (and Mepham in last seasons Brentford play-off game) shouldn't have brought their man down and taken a red for the team in the process! Whereas hindsight suggests that Cahill perhaps should have stopped Afobe going clean through on goal in the Millwall game, paricularly as he was so far up the pitch he might have escaped a straight red in the process!

I really do think that every squad player needs to know before each game whether or not to impede an opponent if clean through, depending on what the score is, how long is left, where they are on the pitch, whether there is a covering defender etc. Indeed these factors could form the basis of multiple guess exam questions LOL!
I think there is one big unknown - heat of the moment reaction.

Not sure why people are assuming that we don’t practice 10 v 11?

When we played out a perfect 10 v 11 at Forest I don’t remember people assuming we do practice them.

Kilkenny took a touch when he should have put the ball behind for a corner. Travers misjudged a wind assisted cross in last kick of game. It wasn’t tactics it was individual errors.
Absolutely Neil, we executed 10 v 11 perfectly at Forest. I am sure they practice it. just because sometimes it doesn't quite come off with a wind assisted last kick of the game equaliser doesn't mean we don't train for it.

That's just incompetence quite frankly.

I think it's more an indication that there was a last-minute change of mind, probably believed that someone was going to be available for selection and late on Friday it was decided they weren't back in time.

It probably happens all the time, its just that Parker has referenced it so handed out a stick to be beaten with.

I think it's more an indication that there was a last-minute change of mind, probably believed that someone was going to be available for selection and late on Friday it was decided they weren't back in time.

It probably happens all the time, its just that Parker has referenced it so handed out a stick to be beaten with.
And judging by the first 70 minutes they played it rather well. Well done to the team.

I could guess that it was a last minute change of plan tbf.....why couldn't they have spent more time on it though?.... surely he could have delayed his tee off time for a few hours.

And judging by the first 70 minutes they played it rather well. Well done to the team.

Before the red, the most dominant performance from us I've seen all season in terms of possession I think.

Thought L Cook & Kilkenny were dictating the play for large parts.

Unfortunately though a lot of the bedwetters on here & 'fans' that enjoy having a pop at Parker will only remember the last 10 minutes. Pretty sad really.

I could guess that it was a last minute change of plan tbf.....why couldn't they have spent more time on it though?.... surely he could have delayed his tee off time for a few hours.

Numerous reasons, perhaps the injury happened in the final 20 minutes of training? Who knows? Sounded like an improved performance? Isn’t that what matters?

;