Thoughts v Fulham

kirsikka

UTC Legend
Parker forced to shuffle the pack again and do something unusual due to all the players out. Again, it looked like he'd made astute decisions. The first 30 was ding dong stuff before Fulham took control and we were gasping for the half time whistle.

Brilliant restart obviously but what was noticeable is the early move to bring on Pearson. There would have been no pregame plan to give him 35 minutes (30, 20, 10, yes. 35 is just an odd number) so after watching 10 more minutes of ding dong stuff Parker decided to be tactically decisive, and try and take the pace out of the game.

To be fair to him, for 20 minutes it looked like it was working but once Fulham went all out attack, he could have looked to switch things up again and put the pressure back on them. However, by ceding the territory and letting a team of attack minded players have the ball it was going to result in a siege.

Shame it didn't come off but credit where it's due, despite missing a huge chunk of his team the first two calls he made looked to be absolutely correct.

Next time we meet Fulham it will be interesting to see what happens when we're, hopefully, a less depleted team.

The second half wasn't so much an enjoyable watch as an endurance, wishing time away.

One thing to note. We really struggled to pass our way through that high press and the long ball rarely worked but a couple of times we dinked it over the front of the press to a man in space and the pitch opened up. That has to be a tactic we look to utilise more when teams try to do that against us. If we'd been more consistent with breaking away like that their manager might have pulled them back or, even if he didn't, others would.

At the end of it, given the players out or only just back from injury, I'd have taken a point in a heartbeat pre-kickoff so I'm remain happy with that.

Oh, and if Harry Wilson had stumbled and gone down naturally instead of throwing himself off a cliff then he may well have got a penalty. His own theatrics cost him there. Good.

Positives performances:
S Cook: MotM by a country mile. Immense. What does Parker do when Kelly is back if Cookie keeps playing like that? He's done what he had to do... kept his mouth closed whilst he was shut out of the team and waited for an opening on the pitch and let that do his talking.

Solanke: Tireless running and excellent pressing. Great finish. The ball was sticking at times even when isolated on his own, which was what we missed in the last match.

Travers: Harsh on him not to get a clean sheet out of that performance

Room to improve:

Stacey: Has looked really flustered of late and had a difficult first half. Improved in the second but with Smith back his place must be under threat.

Anthony: He's a young player so we have to expect and accept ups and downs. This was a down. I'm confident the next will be an up.

Last edited:
Would agree with all the above, thought Billing was slightly off tonight in the first half. Great to see Pearson, Smith and Cahill back, and Brady make his debut.

The injury crisis isn’t so much of a crisis anymore!

Last edited:
Can't really complain and Fulham will be unhappy dropping 2 points at home, tough game and hope the injured folk get back soon ?

PS: Maybe Billing is still residing in Summer time ?

Whoscored.com rates Billing as our best outfield player tonight with 7.7/10. Would love to know how they come to that conclusion?

He got the assist, he won 4 headers, made 5 interceptions. His passing was way off, but previous appears to have scored heavily for him.

Anthony much better on the left than the right for sure.
Billing like he has been in the last few games, good at vital points in defending, pressing and key moments of goals and assists. But in general play not involved and does make some poor passes.
Generally a good point with players just back, hopefully we can get them fit and a settled team to really go again.

Would have taken a point beforehand ,everyone worked their socks off and now we need to get a win.only concern for me is Staceys form.

On the whole a thoroughly well earnt point. In a game that the pundits and the majority of fans felt this was Fulham's for the taking we spoilt the party. Major injury hits, a dip in form and a leaky defence this was expected to be a solemn return for Parker under the cameras but , and at times it wasn't pretty , we had some standout performers and deserved that point. Had we taken some of our great opportunities we could have snuck a win. A draw though is a good result and it's a great sign that during this dip we aren't losing. A couple of players struggled and didn't rise to the occasion but luckily we those that did dragged us through. Well done boys, great stuff, great entertainment and I'm pretty sure both of those teams will be playing in the top flight next season.

4th game in a row we have failed to hold on to a lead but last two performances show this team has heart. Did well to get the point as I feared Fulham would go on to win given had 10 minutes left to get the winner. Think this was a bad result for Fulham.

good news is championship play 2 less games in Dec than prem so time for injuries to heal

Very pleased with the attitude shown. Fulham played the nicer stuff but we did what we could an came away with very tidy point. Onwards.

I got the feeling Billing was back to old habits of going through the motions.

Stacey had a really rough time first half, as did Anthony defensively.

Wasn't too impressed with Marcondes or Christie either, but can't fault work rate.

Thought SP got things pretty much right today and we came out with a good point against a team who, realistically, are probably better than us.

It's not always perfect, but it is refreshing this season to see a less talented group try and bust a gut for each other. I'd take that over the overpaid premadonnas of the previous seasons.

I'm still pinching myself that we're second. Before the season started i was hoping for top half!

;