Thoughts vs Leeds

Quoted as team having a connection between defence and midfield, but no connection between midfield and attack
They've scored 77 goals in 28 games. I'm not sure how you'd do that without a connection between the middle and the strikers; and they're not long ball merchants either.

Rod Stewart, you mean !!
Written by Mike D'Abo?

Anyway, I think Neil made a good point about the players fitness. At 3-1 we just started defending and I could see what was coming. If its true that GO'N said he was "disappointed" then that pisses me off even more. There's a balance between the Parkeresque slagging off of the team and a casual shoulder shrug after throwing away a two goal lead for the second game in succession.

As an aside, I'd kill for an atmosphere like that at Dean Court. Yes, some of it bordered on hostile, but when you compare it to DC it puts us to shame.

So, after these last 2 weeks, what do we feel? Frustration? Yes, definitely that. Twice having 2 goal leads in the second half and losing both games, twice in a row, frustration definitely.

Now with the obvious out of the way, the tricky part: why did it happen and what can be done? This particularly perplexes me because I made a comment not too long before the Tottenham game about how O'neil had made us very good at flummoxing opponents attacks, shutting out a number of opponents and others needing some helpful refs to grab a goal - but we had struggled to make chances ourselves. Now we have two games where we were able to get the attacking juices going and scoring multiple in both...but now we give up 7 goals in those games. Why have we failed to switch from this successful attacking mentality and setup when we're 2 goals up to the previously successful defensive mentality and setup that should be able to shut up shop and see the game out? Is it an issue that we failed, either at the coaching and/or player level, to make this switch during the game, or is it that we did make the switch but our defensive setup has been figured out (i.e. the defensive setup being good in some ways but weak to giving up many corners, so in the last two games that may have been targeted)? As some have alluded to, maybe the issue is that we had tired legs and needed players like Pearson/Christie/Zemura/Anthony to come on and help shut down opponents and provide outlets to relieve pressure? It's a tricky one, and I wish O'neil the best as long as he remains caretaker and will back whoever comes in on a permanent basis as well.

The last 4 games have been disappointing, though the more recent two I would say both hurt more to lose but also give me more hope with the number of goals and chances we made. But look at the bigger picture: even with this poor run, we have a fair chance at being 12th in the table going into the World Cup break if we get the win at Everton and other results go our way (West Ham and Leicester draw while Villa and Leeds lose to Brighton and Tottenham, respectively, only caveat will be Leeds having a game in hand).

It's going to be a tight season in the bottom half of the table, but if you ask me, we've shown that we have enough to stay up. It'll be rough, there will be disappointments, but we have enough talent to do it (f*** off Parker) if we can find the right balance in our attack and defense.

(and on a positive note, Tavernier finally got a premier league goal as well as another assist, so hopefully he's picked up some confidence and will give us more goal threat going forward)

Written by Mike D'Abo?

Anyway, I think Neil made a good point about the players fitness. At 3-1 we just started defending and I could see what was coming. If its true that GO'N said he was "disappointed" then that pisses me off even more. There's a balance between the Parkeresque slagging off of the team and a casual shoulder shrug after throwing away a two goal lead for the second game in succession.

As an aside, I'd kill for an atmosphere like that at Dean Court. Yes, some of it bordered on hostile, but when you compare it to DC it puts us to shame.
The two best atmospheres I've heard have both been in Yorkshire.
Huddersfield a few years back and ER yesterday. You can't diss that passion.

;