Mark Travers

May I be the first to blame Neil Moss ?
His total absence around the football club should in no way absolve him of some sort of blame with regard to any sort of goalkeeping shortcomings, be they now or in the future !
:p

To be fair, he's still living in the area so clearly fully to blame ;)

What had £32M Ramsdale done to prove himself before becoming a premier league keeper and international? been relegated to the national league and almost relegated to League 2?

You can't prove yourself in any league until you are given a run in that league. Throw Mark in. He has as good a chance as any of success or failure and it means less wages on a random loanee.

What had £32M Ramsdale done to prove himself before becoming a premier league keeper and international? been relegated to the national league and almost relegated to League 2?

You can't prove yourself in any league until you are given a run in that league. Throw Mark in. He has as good a chance as any of success or failure and it means less wages on a random loanee.
It's a point but in the games I have seen him in Travers hasn't pulled up any trees.
This may be a good test as to whether Parker is really committed to giving the kids a go but I worry what effect a few first bad games may have on Travers' confidence.

It's a point but in the games I have seen him in Travers hasn't pulled up any trees.
This may be a good test as to whether Parker is really committed to giving the kids a go but I worry what effect a few first bad games may have on Travers' confidence.

yeah he's been bang average this pre-season but again, using Ramsdale as a comparison I don't recall him being jaw-droppingly good before he got a start in a higher league.

I think all keepers should be sent to struggling clubs. Not going to learn much playing behind a defence that lets nothing through

If Travers isn't our number one this season, let's send him to Derby where he'll face twenty shots a match as they've only got six players, though Rocky's about to sign for them

I suppose my point is that he was in the same position this time last year and nothing he's done since has really shown that he's any more deserving now. He won the race to start in goal last year and didn't take the chance.

Are you sure he really did win the race last year though? I'm not sure how true it is (and maybe none of us do). It was reported that Bego was injured and he wasn't on the bench. Of course this may be to do with trying to get him to leave, and then there followed a quick U-turn after Travers' performance. Or it could be that he was injured.

I suppose my point is that he was in the same position this time last year and nothing he's done since has really shown that he's any more deserving now. He won the race to start in goal last year and didn't take the chance.
Don’t you think it was more a case of ‘we’ve got this costly, experienced international keeper so we better play him’ type of scenario and Bego seized the chance ?

Are you sure he really did win the race last year though? I'm not sure how true it is (and maybe none of us do). It was reported that Bego was injured and he wasn't on the bench. Of course this may be to do with trying to get him to leave, and then there followed a quick U-turn after Travers' performance. Or it could be that he was injured.

Who knows but either way Travers got his chance and didn't take it. I'm not writing the lad off but we definitely need another keeper for him to compete with.

Who knows but either way Travers got his chance and didn't take it. I'm not writing the lad off but we definitely need another keeper for him to compete with.
I think at the beginning of the season the window was still open and we were still actively seeking to offload Begovic. Hence why Travers was groomed to be our starting keeper last season. I got the feeling that once it became clear that we were unable to offload Begovic, it was a no-brainer, since we were stuck paying his wages, to plonk him back into the number one spot.

At least that was my take on the situation at the beginning of last season :shrug:

Any who thinks that one game, at the start of a season should be 'his chance' is bonkers.

No one says that about any other player in any other position.

The only risk might be to his confidence, but let's face it, it's not going to be his team mates that give him stick, it will be the self destructive 'fans' who can't see past the need to help him through any early jitters.

He's being considered for his country despite lack of games, has shown real natural ability like against Spurs, and has every chance of growing into the goalie we need, not just for now but for many years.

Also what he still needs to improve on, he doesn't lack in shot stopping from long range. If we had to save a late free kick, not just a penalty, I would prefer Travers over Bego and definitely over Rambo, for his combination of height and agility.

Boruc was arguably one of our key upgrades in our championship squad, big risk to go with Travers if we are serious about another push for promotion and if I was Parker I’d be looking for someone with more experience and presence. Especially with our obvious tendencies to feck about and concede ridiculous goals.
Hope he grabs the opportunity with both hands if he gets the nod, but can’t help but think another loan to really hone his skills would be better for his career in the long term.

Any who thinks that one game, at the start of a season should be 'his chance' is bonkers.

The only risk might be to his confidence, but let's face it, it's not going to be his team mates that give him stick, it will be the self destructive 'fans' who can't see past the need to help him through any early jitters.

He's being considered for his country despite lack of games, has shown real natural ability like against Spurs, and has every chance of growing into the goalie we need, not just for now but for many years.

Also what he still needs to improve on, he doesn't lack in shot stopping from long range. If we had to save a late free kick, not just a penalty, I would prefer Travers over Bego and definitely over Rambo, for his combination of height and agility.

Not ‘bonkers’, just realistic. Sometimes that’s all you get.

Maybe no other positions get judged in that way like goalkeepers, but that’s because mistakes from goalkeepers tend to lead to goals far more often than they do in other positions.

And the mistake against Blackburn wasn’t his first howler. He looked poor in the 3-0 defeat against Watford too.

He needs a full-season League One loan spell that in all honesty he should have had two seasons ago.

He played well in that spurs game but was poor in all his other first team games I've seen. As I say, don't write the lad off but we can't be over reliant on him as our number 1. Definitely needs competition.

He’s not ready to be a regular in the championship. He needs a good loan first. No doubt he will be good enough in time, just not quite yet.

Steve Cook is a great shot stopper. Made the save of the season against Norwich season before last... He can be our potential third keeper...

;