Time to Lawyer Up!

No, I’m certainly not ‘thick’.

I propose the FA sues FIFA for Frank Lampard’s disallowed goal v Germany in the 2010 World Cup, in fact sod it, while we’re at it, let’s take them to the cleaners for allowing Maradona to fist the ball over the on rushing Peter Shilton at Mexico 86......ffs
Right.....because there is a PRECEDENT for that is there ?
I must refute your assertion because you clearly are too thick to understand that simple point.

No, I’m certainly not ‘thick’.

I propose the FA sues FIFA for Frank Lampard’s disallowed goal v Germany in the 2010 World Cup, in fact sod it, while we’re at it, let’s take them to the cleaners for allowing Maradona to fist the ball over the on rushing Peter Shilton at Mexico 86......ffs
Funnily enough seeing as you mention it, the whole reason football went and got Hawkeye!

A blast from the past.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says Frank Lampard's "ghost" goal at the 2010 World Cup played a decisive role in the introduction of goal-line technology.

The International Football Association Board voted unanimously in favour of introducing the technology on Thursday.

Blatter said: "That [Lampard goal] was the moment for me to say, 'You can't afford for something similar to happen in the next World Cup'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18732237

For me the key sentence in that article is that "The video assistant referee did not flag up the error either."

If this is true what exactly were the idiots in charge of VAR doing? Having a nap?

Surely any right minded person in charge of VAR ought reasonably would have flagged up the fact that the ball was clearly over the line to the referee?

Also if true, does the idiots in charge of VAR apparent failure to notify the referee of this constitute negligence?

I would be very interested to receive an answer from a legally qualified person to my question.

This is the nub of the issue - why didnt VAR intervene, and what is our comeback against that?

And I agree, it isnt about reversing relegation, but about getting another £100m to help ward off financial disaster.

This is the nub of the issue - why didnt VAR intervene, and what is our comeback against that?

And I agree, it isnt about reversing relegation, but about getting another £100m to help ward off financial disaster.
It's a good question and I don't think any clear answer was given at the time. Get the feeling it was just a clusterf**k to which none of the officials knew how to react, or what the precedent / tech guidance said about it, just because it was unprecedented.

I think it'll just go down as one of those things, plenty of which we can talk about from past AFCB relegations. Just a new one for the pub chat in years to come.

When France qualified for the World Cup after Thierry Henry handled, Ireland got compensation out of FIFA after threatening to sue.

Probably no legal basis for a case, but the threat worked.

What a pathetic show of sour grapes. Allow me to point out that after Sheff Utd, you had ELEVEN matches in which to scrape enough points to stay up, that’s 33 available points you had left to play for. Your club needs to grow up and accept that over the course of the season, you didn’t warrant a place in next years Premier League.

I think we should go for it if there's a possibility we could get some cash to soften the landing - like any legal decision just weigh up the chances of winning against the costs of losing and go for it if it makes sense.

Too many on here appear to be concerned about how we will look to others if we go ahead. I guess it depends on what type of person you are but I wouldn't change any decision I made on account of how I looked if I felt it was right for me.

Take this clown I've quoted here, imagine what this guy must be like in real life. Would any of us really not do something on account of the opinion of a no-mark like this? Do me a favour - I wouldn't let the guy clean my shoes.

In the ladies World Cup the referee went and looked at the pitch side monitor and made a decision from that.

Is that facility not available to the referee if a situation like that happens?

Just found this re pitch side monitors.

Former Premier League referee and ex-PGMOL chief Keith Hackett has slammed the controversy that took place in yesterday’s clash between Aston Villa and Sheffield United.

The visitors were denied a clear goal due to a failure in goal-line technology, with referee Michael Oliver never receiving the notification that he should have done when the ball clearly crossed the line.

Hackett believes referees need to be using the pitch-side monitors more and that a new action plan needs to be discussed after this blunder.

“I was the boss of PGMOL that stood up at a summer conference of the Premier League and when asked what new innovation would I introduce to help referees. I said without hesitation Goal Line Technology,” Hackett told CaughtOffside.

“Six years later having worked with Hawkeye and having convinced the lawmakers the IFAB it was introduced.

“In the game between Aston Villa v Sheffield United we witnessed a system failure. The seven high speed cameras surrounding the goal at various angles capture the outer circumference of the ball with the signals passing through a software programme. It computes the speed and distance of the ball and if it is working sends a signal directly to the watch on the referees wrist.

“Referee Oliver looked at his watch and did not receive a signal. He might then have expected a vigilant VAR to intervene and suggest a review.

“Sadly technology failed Hawkeye claiming that the view was blocked by the goalkeeper shielding the ball and the goal post also in the way.

“The PGMOL have only had the referee visit the pitch-side monitor once season to date. This was an opportunity that should have been taken, it was not.

“Premier League and PGMOL must sit down with Hawkeye and review this massive error that had an outcome in the result of the game.”

You can see the bizarre incident again below, and it really is inexcusable to see a team denied what could have been such an important goal at this high level…

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/a...a_vs_sheffield_united_clash/s1_15953_32209145

Just found this re pitch side monitors.

Former Premier League referee and ex-PGMOL chief Keith Hackett has slammed the controversy that took place in yesterday’s clash between Aston Villa and Sheffield United.

The visitors were denied a clear goal due to a failure in goal-line technology, with referee Michael Oliver never receiving the notification that he should have done when the ball clearly crossed the line.

Hackett believes referees need to be using the pitch-side monitors more and that a new action plan needs to be discussed after this blunder.

“I was the boss of PGMOL that stood up at a summer conference of the Premier League and when asked what new innovation would I introduce to help referees. I said without hesitation Goal Line Technology,” Hackett told CaughtOffside.

“Six years later having worked with Hawkeye and having convinced the lawmakers the IFAB it was introduced.

“In the game between Aston Villa v Sheffield United we witnessed a system failure. The seven high speed cameras surrounding the goal at various angles capture the outer circumference of the ball with the signals passing through a software programme. It computes the speed and distance of the ball and if it is working sends a signal directly to the watch on the referees wrist.

“Referee Oliver looked at his watch and did not receive a signal. He might then have expected a vigilant VAR to intervene and suggest a review.

“Sadly technology failed Hawkeye claiming that the view was blocked by the goalkeeper shielding the ball and the goal post also in the way.

“The PGMOL have only had the referee visit the pitch-side monitor once season to date. This was an opportunity that should have been taken, it was not.

“Premier League and PGMOL must sit down with Hawkeye and review this massive error that had an outcome in the result of the game.”

You can see the bizarre incident again below, and it really is inexcusable to see a team denied what could have been such an important goal at this high level…

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/a...a_vs_sheffield_united_clash/s1_15953_32209145

I suppose the system is badly set up in that it ought to have an indication that Hawkeye has lost sight of the ball.

But that still doesn't excuse the VAR officials for not intervening.

And doesn't excuse Arsenal for caving in to Villa, or Everton being so unmotivated as to hand them a point.

Oh wait . . .

Whilst the goalie was in the net with the ball in his arms, WTF was the lineo doing.........answer : waiting for his watch to indicate a goal as he could not trust what he could clearly see and would rather rely on technology :slap:

You're all forgetting a sort of precedent to this. Arsenal v Sheff Utd FACup 1999. Arsenal scored a winner from a throw in when the ball had been put out for an injury and should have been thrown back to a United player. It went to Vierra who played on and crossed to Overmars who scored.

Wenger said we can't win a game like this and agreed to replay it. Arsenal won the replay again 2-1.

The Villa V Sheff Utd game should be replayed.

I don’t pretend to understand the technology or it’s interpretation,but as above ,the all seeing VAR is supposed to consider missed decisions and they don’t come much clearer than that one. Frightening that the onfield officials are totally wedded to the technology good or bad .VAR should have told the ref to look at pitch side monitor as it looks like a clear goal,but no ref tapping his watch and saying no goal because his watch didn’t show,Lino does the same,perhaps we don’t need Them at all and let technology rule supreme.

The point I’m trying to make is the refs now rely on the technology and common sense options don’t apply.We deserved To go down ,too many lack lustre performances over the season .

The point I’m trying to make is the refs now rely on the technology and common sense options don’t apply.We deserved To go down ,too many lack lustre performances over the season .
Again, it’s not about whether or not we deserve to go down, it’s about whether or not AFCB as a business has a right to some sort of financial compensation for errors made by the authorities which directly or indirectly prejudiced our opportunity to remain on the PL payroll for a further season. If there is a chance of some sort of compensation the directors have to pursue it.

;