Transfer needs with a month to go

So true. I had a peek at a Wolves forum the other day to see what they were saying about Scott. I thought they'd be in dire straits given all the players they've lost without a lot coming in, but the general feeling is they're a top 10 team as it stands and with a couple of signings will push for Europe.

Unless they find goals from somewhere, I have them right in amongst it at the bottom. Time will tell.
Some of the most deluded fans I have ever met.

Either of these options would do me. I do think we need more quality up front. Incredibly difficult position to recruit in. Jackson really does feel like the one that got away.
You may be right SDD, but remember we’d agreed everything for Jackson only for him to fail his medical as hamstring issues were worse than we’d originally thought . It’s early days but if his hamstring problem resurfaces (and we’ve had enough experience of crocked players) then we’ll feel a whole lot better about it.

You may be right SDD, but remember we’d agreed everything for Jackson only for him to fail his medical as hamstring issues were worse than we’d originally thought . It’s early days but if his hamstring problem resurfaces (and we’ve had enough experience of crocked players) then we’ll feel a whole lot better about it.

Yeah I'm not really knocking the decision not to sign him - it's always easy to look at it in hindsight. Certainly people who criticise the Fredericks signing can't really knock them for not signing a player who has failed a medical.

The needs are the same as last pre season

PL ready RB and CM

where is the next ake hiding there must be good quality youngsters who would be better developing their career at afcb than frittering it away on loan after loan from their big club.

The needs are the same as last pre season

PL ready RB and CM

where is the next ake hiding there must be good quality youngsters who would be better developing their career at afcb than frittering it away on loan after loan from their big club.
Nathan Ake had 3 loans before signing for AFCB.

Just saying...

An arsenal supporting friend of mine suggests we are negotiating with them for Cedric that used to play at Saints on a loan.

Doesn’t seem to fit with young signings but could do a job. Probably just winding me up but who knows.

An arsenal supporting friend of mine suggests we are negotiating with them for Cedric that used to play at Saints on a loan.

Doesn’t seem to fit with young signings but could do a job. Probably just winding me up but who knows.

Wouldn't surprise me if we brought in a couple of plsyers that haven't been mentioned/linked at all. First anyone hears is when deal is completed.

As happened numerous times during Howe era.

I've just had a look at who is available on a free transfer; Adama Traore is wanted by Villa, he could play when Tavernier is injured (I know we have far too many wingers). Sergio Ramos could be like Cahill, a legend/modern day great and a leader at the back (a bit unrealistic), & Lucas Moura is a dangerous player, could be useful as a backup.

Good shout

August is upon us, the season starts in under two weeks and the SSN transfer window countdown clock is probably on screen.

So far our dealings seem to have skirted a lot of the issues. We signed Favire but won't see him for 12 months, Kluivert appears to play mainly in positions where we have lots of options and Radu looks like a stopgap to allow Travers to go out on loan. Kerkez is the only one who you could say was filling an essential need.

I'm expecting all those maneuvers were made in the knowledge there's still enough in the kitty to address the outstanding problems. Here's what I'm hoping for, position by position:

Right back
I'm glad Smith is still part of the squad. Come January he'll have been here 10 consecutive years, and is an experienced head. That said, he can't carry the burden alone, especially if fullbacks under AI are going to be up and down like yo-yos. If Mellette can perform some kind of Miyagi-style miracle cure on Fredericks then we're probably good to crane kick our way through the season. However, in the more likely scenario of RF being out for extended spells, we're going to need another option. Neither Hill or Mepham look natural fits there, instead being at best awkward emergency options.

In many ways, it's the perfect opportunity for a young right back. Two highly experienced top level pros to learn from for the season ahead, who will still leave space for him to get plenty of minutes, and with both of them out of contract in 12 months. So a chance of decent game time this season in the PL plus the opportunity to make the position their own in a year.

Therefore I'm hoping for a Kerkez equivalent signed on a permanent deal. Still think Fresneda is pie in the sky but if it happens I will doff my cap in the general direction of Dean Court and Las Vegas. He can't be the only exciting young option out there though.

Left back
Kerkez looks like an interesting character and seems to be a coup. At the same time, in terms of physical demands, the PL is a step above what he's played before. Plus, he's still only 19 so we shouldn't go into a season where he might get roasted at times and leave him as the only option to fill the role even if his confidence takes a battering.

Option one would be to bring in a loan to cover it, but how likely will a team want to loan out a young star knowing they'd have to compete with our bright young signing for minutes? Maybe not so much. Perhaps there is an out of favour older player who could be brought in to add some experience and share the load. Vina would have been ideal, but I can understand he may not have wanted to play that role.

Option two would be an old head on a one year deal. A bit like how we brought in Harte or Distin. Not sure who is out there but if there is a decent option this would be my preferred strategy.

Option three is Iraola to have seen something in Kelly he believes he can coach. He started as a left back and has the pace to get up and down and maybe his reluctance to do it has been down to the caution of the coaches. Hill could then slot in as the fourth choice CB. This is wild supposition on my part and probably won't happen, but shouldn't be discounted entirely.

Central midfield
Right now our midfield is a bit like Bingham, containing a bleeding massive hole. There have been lots of rumours around our interest in Scott, but nothing confirmed and Wolves also apparently bidding. There's also the possibility of other clubs keeping their powder dry until a bid is accepted only to then swoop in and snatch him. So no guarantees there.

We can't say for sure what type of player we need until we get a better handle on Iraola's approach but it is definite we need reinforcements. However, before we come to that there is the Billing question.

He has 12 months left on his contract and rumours of interest elsewhere. If he's indicated he won't sign a new deal, will we look to move him on? We actually have several options in the CAM role but he does bring guaranteed PL quality. There's also the question that, if we keep him, for a final year or under a new deal, whether Iraola will look to change his role. Let's be clear, for most of his career here he has struggled further back and excelled in behind the striker. However, away against Arsenal in the more withdrawn position, like his stature, he was towering. If AI believes he can get more performances like that out of him then it opens up the role behind Solanke to others and gives Rothwell competition.

Failing that, and I know many will rail against even considering it, it's hard to argue against us needing two CM recruits. If we do manage to nab Scott then this could be a clever place to use the loan market as anyone coming in for that role would be pretty confident of getting lots of minutes given the need to make subs under our new approach.

So, one permanent signing and one loan would do me. If it's Scott great, if not then someone, anyone even if it's Dr Emmett Brown.

Striker
This is a tough one as I know many are desperate for a reinforcement here. If we had unlimited money I wouldn't object but out of everything mentioned this, for me, is the lowest priority. We have a bunch of Donald Rumsfeld style known unknowns here:

- How will Solanke get on as the main man under a more attacking manager? He was never the former under Howe and, in the PL, neither Parker or GON were the latter. Look at the difference in Mitrovic when Fulham's style changed. The guy deserves a chance to show whether he's got what it takes at this level. I know that argument is already decided for many but not for me. I think he could do it. 10+ this season, excluding penalties (as if we'll ever get one).

- What can Semenyo bring to the table? Still early days for him and apparently he was carrying an injury so, with that resolved, can his pace and power offer a threat? He has the kind of physicality that can make defenders uncomfortable and with the new directions for refs to allow a much more aggressive style of play this season, things could play into his hands.

- Moore. Let's be clear, he isn't the archetype AI striker as he'll struggle with the demands of our press. However, with an approach that encourages players to get wide and pile forward, if we're chasing a game there's a school of thought that makes him the ideal Plan B target man for crosses being banged in during a crazy last 15-20 minute charge.

- Son of Kluivert. What exactly is he and how will we use him? I could be wrong but I'm somehow getting Josh King vibes where he can be effective as a pacy wide forward but also an option to lead the line. Just because other clubs used him out wide doesn't mean we have to, like with JK or Arsenal with Henry. One to watch.

I know people want guaranteed goals but we aren't going to be buying them. Whoever we purchase would be someone with the potential to step up, no more. I'm not convinced it's the best use of our budget until we've first answered some of the questions about what we already have.

TLDR?
I hope we still sign:
- A young right back on a permanent deal
- An older head left back on a short deal
- A splash signing at CM, either Scott or someone else very highly rated
- A loan signing at CM

And that's it.
Agree with a lot of what you say. A right back is essential as it's unlikely Smith will be available for every match. Will also give him some competition while allowing the younger player to learn from Smith.

Left back I think we are okay as long as Kelly is available to cover there if need be. We have Barny, Meps and Senesi as centre backs too, so Kelly can cover there.

As many have said, Cook is the only defensive midfielder, so we need another or at least someone who can capably play there. Billing isn't well suited to that role. He's either a 10 or a left-sided 8.

Then there is the striker question. In order to justify getting another in, we'll need to sell or loan one of Moore or Semenyo. Looking at Semenyo's stats, he's never been prolific, so that begs the question why we bought him in the first place. If we bring another in, it needs to be someone prolific. No point bringing someone in who will do no better than Moore, Semenyo or Solanke.

Last edited:

;