Tyler Adams

If what you say is true then you wouldn't think a hamstring injury would put them all off......I mean doesn't that sound a bit strange.....I mean if his medical showed up something more serious then fair enough but a hamstring?.....that's the only injury he had last season as far as I can see and Chelsea would have known about that before the medical......doesn't ring true to me.
So as far we know only us and possibly Chelsea were interested unless someone knows of another medical he failed somewhere?

It's a hamstring injury that has kept him out of our side for the vast majority of the season, some are worse than others and this is obviously one of the bad ones. We presumably (and rightly as it turned out) felt that we could afford to wait for him to regain fitness and for whatever reason Chelsea did not.

If what you say is true then you wouldn't think a hamstring injury would put them all off......I mean doesn't that sound a bit strange.....I mean if his medical showed up something more serious then fair enough but a hamstring?.....that's the only injury he had last season as far as I can see and Chelsea would have known about that before the medical......doesn't ring true to me.
So as far we know only us and possibly Chelsea were interested unless someone knows of another medical he failed somewhere?
Adams had surgery on his hamstring at the end of March last year and was unfit for the rest of the season. Clearly when negotiating with Chelsea he would still have been in rehab mode. Chelsea made the decision not to pursue after it was reported that Leeds and Adams had agreed the deal. Almost certainly the medical wasn't good enough for Chelsea so the deal was called off.

It's just as easy to say why is Adams playing for us if he's so good tbf so the why has Jeff gone to Palace argument doesn't really hold any water......Adams might be an excellent signing but how can anyone know?.....can anyone on here say they've seen him play more than a couple of times for Leeds?......he certainly doesn't get into our first 11 at the moment.
Don’t really understand where you’re coming from. Have only seen one poster compare the two so far, you’re right that we have no way of knowing how good Adams is yet as we have yet to properly see him in action. My question was specifically related to Lerma, and Neil’s comments about him being an outstanding player. If he was that good of a player then he wouldn’t have ended up at Palace on a free transfer. Forget comparing Lerma and Adams, for me Cook has proven himself to be a better number six than Lerma ever was.

*Adams ended up here due to his injury, Chelsea had lined him up to sign in the summer before they realised the extent of his hamstring injury. Lerma has a near perfect fitness record and was available in a free transfer, if he is that good then why didn’t Chelsea just sign him instead? The answer is because Lerma isn’t that good, he is a mid table standard midfielder with many weaknesses to his game. He was a loveable character due to his energy and passion, but not as good as Neil and others would have you believe. And the evidence supports that.

Adams had surgery on his hamstring at the end of March last year and was unfit for the rest of the season. Clearly when negotiating with Chelsea he would still have been in rehab mode. Chelsea made the decision not to pursue after it was reported that Leeds and Adams had agreed the deal. Almost certainly the medical wasn't good enough for Chelsea so the deal was called off.
Chelsea were looking for 2 midfielders from a shortlist of 3 and suddenly caicedo opted to join Chelsea instead of liverpool - that’s my recollection

The Liverpool link is a new one on me....I wouldn't bother mentioning any paper talk tbh.
Don't know much about the Chelsea interest but if a hamstring injury put them off they couldn’t have been that keen.
We were the only ones who thought he was worth the risk.
You are arguing against a brick wall TF. Del can not be wrong and despite the fact nobody else is allowed to use supposition he is ok to say that he believes Chelsea pulled out over injuries when of course we don’t really know.

So two also ran clubs wanted Lerma and Adams and I know which one got the better deal…

Genuine question Neil, if Lerma is such an outstanding player then why did he end up at Palace? Surely on a free transfer the top clubs would have been queuing up, as they seemingly are for Kelly. Or could they not compete with the financial might of Pace? Our fan base seem to rate him a lot more highly than the scouts who watched him during his time for us.
I said he was an outstanding talent here (hence why he was so loved by the vast majority of the fan base and won player of the year). I also think he would have been better under Iraola as so many players have been.

I can see his limitations and that’s why he hasn’t gone to a Liverpool or a Man City but instead chased the filthy lucre of a big paying mid table club. This is a bit of a non starter argument though as I’ve never claimed he should be playing champions league.

All I’ve said was I’d have him over Tyler Adams any day as the latter has struggled with injuries more and he we can’t afford to spend 25m on people to be a Louis Vuitton Stanislas…

He has played La Liga, Premier league and features regularly for one of the better South American teams and he was loved here. Why a couple bitter people have to put him down for their own controversial self indulgence is sad.

This is such a good point. In fact, our decline pretty much coincided with his signing. I feel sorry for Lewis Cook. He’s a better player than Lerma but because he doesn’t charge around like a mad man and look to s*it house the opposition at every opportunity he rarely receives any praise.

Although fans love to see it, the reality is that you don’t want your defensive midfielder to be charging around like a mad man. You want him to be disciplined in his positioning and not leave gaping holes in the centre of the park. You also want him to have the mental attributes to appreciate the spaces that need to be covered and the ability to read the game well enough to cover them. Lerma had fantastic physical attributes and most fans value this over anything else because they are far more obvious and easy to spot than the mental attributes that all of the top clubs will be looking out for. To go higher you need to be the complete package, merge Lerma and Cook’s best attributes and you have a top six level midfielder. Jeff just lacks certain very important elements to play any higher.
Based on that argument top clubs would be clamouring for Lewis Cooks signature.

They aren't.

I said he was an outstanding talent here (hence why he was so loved by the vast majority of the fan base and won player of the year). I also think he would have been better under Iraola as so many players have been.

I can see his limitations and that’s why he hasn’t gone to a Liverpool or a Man City but instead chased the filthy lucre of a big paying mid table club. This is a bit of a non starter argument though as I’ve never claimed he should be playing champions league.

All I’ve said was I’d have him over Tyler Adams any day as the latter has struggled with injuries more and he we can’t afford to spend 25m on people to be a Louis Vuitton Stanislas…

He has played La Liga, Premier league and features regularly for one of the better South American teams and he was loved here. Why a couple bitter people have to put him down for their own controversial self indulgence is sad.

Lol Neil's dodgy selective logic runs through this post like a stick of rock. Why is it that you only ever pull out these half-baked selective stats to slag the club off? You did if for Lys Mousett to prove he was better than Solanke after he'd left too.

Reading your post anyone would think that Adams hadn't played in a major European league, or starred in the latter stages of the Champions League (that you apparently admit is well beyond Lerma), or capitaned a top ten international side.

I was one of Lerma's biggest fans - absolutely loved the guy.... But as I've said and even you have not been able to disagree with - we haven't missed him.

Lol Neil's dodgy selective logic runs through this post like a stick of rock. Why is it that you only ever pull out these half-baked selective stats to slag the club off? You did if for Lys Mousett to prove he was better than Solanke after he'd left too.

Reading your post anyone would think that Adams hadn't played in a major European league, or starred in the latter stages of the Champions League (that you apparently admit is well beyond Lerma), or capitaned a top ten international side.

I was one of Lerma's biggest fans - absolutely loved the guy.... But as I've said and even you have not been able to disagree with - we haven't missed him.
I’m not saying Adam’s doesn’t have a decent pedigree I’m saying we should have swerved him like others did.

The Solanke point you keep bringing up needs the context you avoid. Solanke wasn’t the 20m we needed to spend at that time as he was incapable of grabbing a goal in the PL and we got relegated. One for the future for sure but that season we needed a back up for two injury prone centre forwards, even a loan deal would have been better.

Which was similar to what happened with Jackson and us.

Which I still don’t quite follow. Safety first approach with Jackson but the opposite approach with Adams.

If our approach was consistent and we signed both or rejected both, I’d understand but doing one thing for one player and one thing for another is confusing and leads to the whole… USA captain, signed for off the pitch reasons as well as the eventual potential on pitch.

Which was similar to what happened with Jackson and us.

Which I still don’t quite follow. Safety first approach with Jackson but the opposite approach with Adams.

If our approach was consistent and we signed both or rejected both, I’d understand but doing one thing for one player and one thing for another is confusing and leads to the whole… USA captain, signed for off the pitch reasons as well as the eventual potential on pitch.
Two different windows with two different reasons for signing the players.

Not prolific, but has scored 10 goals in his inaugural season, for the princely sum of 13 million.

We paid 20 million for Solanke and he took an eon to score 9 goals.

Many different seasons.

Not prolific, but has scored 10 goals in his inaugural season, for the princely sum of 13 million.

We paid 20 million for Solanke and he took an eon to score 9 goals.

Many different seasons.

He’d have had another goal to his name if he had been allowed to take the penalty…

13 million sign on fee, and 500,000 for every sitter he missed after that.

Could potentially have risen to 64 million, after the initial 13 million.

;