Tyrone Mings

Never had an issue with him as a person; always quite liked him tbh. It's a shame the biggest moment of his career was nearly spoilt by some neanderthals. He had a good game against desperately poor opposition, although tbf he does have a good range of passing for a CB so can see why he would be useful in games where we would have lots of the ball.

Think he would really struggle against the higher quality national teams though; his positioning isn't good enough, as we saw plenty of times for us and now you can see it with Villa too. I'm not sure he's good enough at playing it out from the back to warrant a callup, considering his actual defending is not England quality. Would rather him than Dunk or Keane but that's not really saying much.

From what I read the guaranteed fee was £20 million, plus Villa paid Ipswich the £1.5 million they were entitled to as a sell on fee. Plus a potential £5 million due to us in add-ons.

Presumably they included: Premier League Appearances (eg after 25, 50, 75 etc); Villa retaining their PL status for 1, 2, 3 years; Villa finishing in the top ten/qualifying for Europe provided TM played x number of PL games; England caps.

In that list the most important seem to be a) how often he plays and b) how well Villa do, because that is the best measure of his worth to Villa. So, thinking about it logically, I think the add on for an England cap is likely to be icing on the cake. In other words nearer £100 k than £1 million. Still welcome of course.

And it will be the first time that I can say an England player once petted my dog. Which must be worth something.

250K for his cap last night.
FACT

Sometimes things work out for people in a different place with a new start. Simon Francis is the living embodiment of that for us.

I always think he had a tough rap here... should have played more and should have been our third choice which would have given him plenty of games with Cookies tendency to pick up injuries from time to time. He was also perfect for the three at the back we can’t get Mepham to play because he lacks pace against wide players.

It would appear though that things weren’t quite right so the move, the desire to prove us wrong and some one on one coaching with an all time top PL defender has worked wonders for him.

Sometimes you just need a change of environment. Speak to any Blackburn fans about Josh King and they cannot believe he scores regularly in the PL... they were glad to get 1m for him....

I still can't get over why he had to go but clearly something was in the rarified air at base camp. Eddie brought him from Ipswich because he had so much prospect. I think we will see him go from strength to strength now with Villa and England, and good luck to him. Just hope we can keep King Ake....

I would like to see him play against a team like Spain, I think the real Mings would appear.
Don't want participate in too much Tyrone bashing but England were playing the Dog and Duck last night. I can't see an easier international debut for him. No marking responsibility loads of room to make those nice turns and wide passes. Let's be honest Tommy Elphick ( bless him ) could have looked classy in that set up against that opposition last night.

A Rolls Royce defender perfectly at home keeping things ticking over like that.

I can't get my head around why he's been picked. But there's no doubting he did everything he could have done in that game against that opposition, and in those at times unpleasant circumstances.

There may be better tests to come, depends I suspect on the impression he's made on Southgate during the days in training. I get the impression that a face / personality fitting, counts for a lot in his squads, as opposed to just having the best or in-form 20 odd players.

I kind of think Steve Cook has certain intangible qualities which are beneficial to us over and above his actual ability as a footballer.

With Mings I think it’s a similar for Villa and now England. It’s a shame we never saw those qualities for us, but football is full of examples of where players have looked out of place at one club but excelled elsewhere.

I kind of think Steve Cook has certain intangible qualities which are beneficial to us over and above his actual ability as a footballer.

With Mings I think it’s a similar for Villa and now England. It’s a shame we never saw those qualities for us, but football is full of examples of where players have looked out of place at one club but excelled elsewhere.

Spot on. Mings leadership qualities shine through in all that he does. I also get the impression that he is very much a team player both on and off the pitch.

I always think he had a tough rap here... should have played more and should have been our third choice which would have given him plenty of games with Cookies tendency to pick up injuries from time to time.

This is the Steve Cook who one season didn’t miss a single minute of Premier League action and before this season missed a total of 13 games in 4 seasons?

This is the Steve Cook who one season didn’t miss a single minute of Premier League action and before this season missed a total of 13 games in 4 seasons?

I should have checked facts!! It felt like he had missed more games than that. Seemed to be quite a few more than 13 games that Franno or Mepham played at centre back where Mings could have played but I haven’t counted them.

;