Tyrone Mings

I do wonder how this will all end. Mings seems to be on fire at Villa. Scored the winner yesterday (his 2nd goal there now).
I chuckled at this comment on the villa forum:
He is like a CHEAT CODE at this level.
It's almost not fair.
It does appear that he too good for the Championship. The question is, does he have a future with us?
And I guess the other question is, if not, how much money will we get for him? He signed a new contract in 2017, so he better not be cheap if we do sell.

I don't know why he'd want to come back here tbh. He could actually end the season with the same number of appearances for Villa as he's had here in 4 odd years.

He's starting every game, often finishing games as captain, for a club that is undoubtedly "bigger" than us. Why would he want to leave?

Having said that, I don't think Villa will be able to buy him. They seem like they'll be in a bit of a pickle financially next season. Mings has proven himself to be, at the very least, a top level Championship defender, so if we do sell him we should be asking for at least £15 million+.

I do wonder how this will all end. Mings seems to be on fire at Villa. Scored the winner yesterday (his 2nd goal there now).
I chuckled at this comment on the villa forum:

It does appear that he too good for the Championship. The question is, does he have a future with us?
And I guess the other question is, if not, how much money will we get for him? He signed a new contract in 2017, so he better not be cheap if we do sell.

This was a perceptive comment, though:

"If he tried to play the way he does with the ball here against PL strikers he'd be punished time and time again.
It's all well and good being a bit cheeky with the ball against this level players but the PL strikers are for the most part both faster stronger and especially smarter and much better at pressing the defenders.
They will just swarm him and take the ball off him when he tried to do a dummy as last man in defense.
I think he's brilliant in the Championship and if fit could potentially be good in the PL as well. But he'd have to stop with his Zlatan dribbles or we'd all get very frustrated with him very fast."

I can only see Mings coming back for an extended stay if Ake is sold.

What's the point in him being a bench warmer for another season or two? He won't dislodge Ake and, even if he does, I would guess he may now also need to get ahead of a S Cook / Mepham pairing. That's without considering where Francis sits in the equation.

4th choice (at best) CB is nowhere at his age, especially when his performances for Villa will likely have a number of Championship clubs offering him first choice football.

Since the rumours around Ake seem to have dissipated I think come the end of the summer Mings will be elsewhere permanently and will always be seen as a 'what could have been' player for us.

I wouldn't want him here just because of stamping fetish personally. Must be worth 8-10 mil now though.

I hate that phrase “ call yourself a fan ?” But FFS have a look at yourself “” “stamping fetish”:shake:hope he comes back ,certainly good enough with a run of games hopefully the fallout rumores with Eddie are just that and he’s going to come back next season ready to slot straight in .

I’d have him back in a flash. Tall commanding fast centre back looking dominant in a league we just paid money to get Mepham from. I hope we haven’t fallen out with him.

No doubt he's playing well. Mepham is 21 though, Mings is 26 and injury prone so hardly the same.

I think that he is a very good player and would welcome him back. If you don't want to disrupt central defence he could play left back, which was what he was when we signed him.
Alternatively it would give us a good set of options to play 3 at the back allowing us to play with wing backs free to go forward more, with one of our present wide men taking one of those spots and the other playing narrower giving us more players in midfield, the lack of which seems to be causing most of our current problems.

;