VAR

Correct decision. ...the previous foul for a start and the England player in the actual penalty shout was fouling the their player just before she fouled back !
However the handball decision was correct...then she missed it !
Re -take...scores !

We’ve watched more of the ref than the game now.

A second var review, the penalty was saved, then retaken as the keeper had come off their line.

It’s drama I guess.

If this admission doesn’t lead to VAR being binned then we are fucked

Thanks for posting this. Exactly the kind of bs we all suspected went on. The system is SO corrupt. All we want is correct decisions, but they let so much other spurious sh1te get in the way. Drives me fecking crazy !! :arrghh:

VAR is so unbelievably broken and borderline corrupt in its current state. Bin the fucker off and keep it in the lab for another year. Not fit for purpose as of now.
Like any corruption, it's the culture within the organisation that counts. This story confirms what we all thought. Refs scratching each others backs as they try to climb the greasy pole to glory. The technology is blind and pure, the people controlling it are not. I am not naive enough not to realise that, with all the money in football, there's is no shenanigans going on. But this is a professional business and we must demand higher standards. They won't bin it, as much as we'd like them to. It does feel like a conspiracy though, in which, the media, as always, are complicit.

Like any corruption, it's the culture within the organisation that counts. This story confirms what we all thought. Refs scratching each others backs as they try to climb the greasy pole to glory. The technology is blind and pure, the people controlling it are not. I am not naive enough not to realise that, with all the money in football, there's is no shenanigans going on. But this is a professional business and we must demand higher standards. They won't bin it, as much as we'd like them to. It does feel like a conspiracy though, in which, the media, as always, are complicit.
This situation is partly caused by the EPL. The officials are apparently distorting their decisions (VAR and on-field) so as to remain favored to be assigned the "big" games. The League needs to do something to at least curtail those incentives. Assigning officials to games completely randomly is probably not the answer, though one could argue that if the standard of officiating was higher and the officials were more uniformly good, assigning them at random would work fine (taking into account known conflicts of interest.)

I've just had a brilliant idea: The VAR official should be anonymous. He or she could appear in a hood on that shot we see from the control room before the matches.

This situation is partly caused by the EPL. The officials are apparently distorting their decisions (VAR and on-field) so as to remain favored to be assigned the "big" games. The League needs to do something to at least curtail those incentives. Assigning officials to games completely randomly is probably not the answer, though one could argue that if the standard of officiating was higher and the officials were more uniformly good, assigning them at random would work fine (taking into account known conflicts of interest.)

I've just had a brilliant idea: The VAR official should be anonymous. He or she could appear in a hood on that shot we see from the control room before the matches.
What baffles me is how can producing bent results get you a 'big game'? Surely, getting things right and proving you are competent would do that? Or am I just totally naive?

What baffles me is how can producing bent results get you a 'big game'? Surely, getting things right and proving you are competent would do that? Or am I just totally naive?
I think this is the sort of issue on which it would be good to have some transparency from the EPL. At the moment, though, I don't think they see it as a problem.

That probably does happen a lot and isn’t right ofcourse a lot but might also be Dean looking to make headlines after his retirement.

And now everyone will question who Anthony Taylor is mates with and will they go against him in the VAR or not.

Apparently it was to save him getting more grief.

Well Taylor probably got more for not being able to use VAR so probably thinking “thanks Mike “!

Last edited:
Or just pull someone in off the street as they'll do a better job.

I still find it baffling that people are getting angry with a bunch of cameras and screens because the men behind them aren't using them correctly.

Wasn't there a situation last year when Michael Oliver awarded that dubious penalty against Lloyd Kelly vs Forest? A junior ref on VAR called him over to the monitor for a review. Oliver stuck with his on field decision but made it clear he was furious with the junior ref for questioning his decision. That kind of arrogance can't help matters.

It needs to be manned by European referees who have no relationships with current Premier League referees. And if it is too expensive to fly them over and accommodate them here the whole thing can be run from a warehouse near a German airport.

It just needs to be binned off. As we’ve discussed for years. Human error is all part of football from the referee, lino, managers, coaches and players. It’s all part of it.

We’ve tried to chase a binary outcome for decisions when most of the time it’s down to interpretation anyway.

We’ve lost atmosphere and instant reaction to goals because you don’t know if someone’s shoelace was offside last Tuesday and it’s going to be disallowed.

The handball rule has been altered to accommodate VAR and that’s a complete mess.

Just bin it and let football be football.

It just needs to be binned off. As we’ve discussed for years. Human error is all part of football from the referee, lino, managers, coaches and players. It’s all part of it.

We’ve tried to chase a binary outcome for decisions when most of the time it’s down to interpretation anyway.

We’ve lost atmosphere and instant reaction to goals because you don’t know if someone’s shoelace was offside last Tuesday and it’s going to be disallowed.

The handball rule has been altered to accommodate VAR and that’s a complete mess.

Just bin it and let football be football.
The purpose of pgmol is to minimise human error. It has and will continue to fail in improving standards.

Var is a convenient scapegoat to avoid solving the real problem

;