VAR

Rob, I can't stand the thought of VAR - the World Cup and subsequent incidents have shown it is only as good as the people reviewing it, and the reason I don't like Lineker is because he keeps banging on about VAR every bloody saturday night on MOTD.
Fair enough, that didn't come across to me in your previous post!

As ever with these things there are pros and cons.

Should lead to less obvious errors and might even prevent players from cheating but on the other hand it might cause issues in terms of timing and communication as we saw in the FA Cup last year.

Also not every decision will be clear cut - just look at the France penalty in the World Cup final - was that handball or not?

VAR is like marmite - some will be for and others against.

Probably depends in if you gain from it or not!

As ever with these things there are pros and cons.

Should lead to less obvious errors and might even prevent players from cheating but on the other hand it might cause issues in terms of timing and communication as we saw in the FA Cup last year.

Also not every decision will be clear cut - just look at the France penalty in the World Cup final - was that handball or not?

VAR is like marmite - some will be for and others against.

Probably depends in if you gain from it or not!

No, whether we gain from it or not it is still terrible.

Well it was handball but can't see that it was deliberate. that and hitting the bar twice and missing a sitter it wasn't their night - oh well.................

I got the impression ref stopped Steele taking a goal kick(not that he needed encouragement to delay taking them) after a claim for handball in the 2nd half.
Was only a half shout, but he told him to carry on placing the ball but not kick until told whilst pointing to his ear piece. I took that as a quick check there was no handball (original decision), and all took place without a delay

I got the impression ref stopped Steele taking a goal kick(not that he needed encouragement to delay taking them) after a claim for handball in the 2nd half.
Was only a half shout, but he told him to carry on placing the ball but not kick until told whilst pointing to his ear piece. I took that as a quick check there was no handball (original decision), and all took place without a delay
Yeah I thought that too. It was a very quick check and overall I thought Oliver was very good today. Shame some of our fans didn’t understand the offside rule today but hey ho!

the use of VAR at the Burnley game was bizarre.
Burnley get a pen, the ref is literally with the whistle in his mouth to allow the pen to be taken, the pentaker is ready to go and the decision gets change to offside. Took 1 min 40 seconds apparently.
On MOTD they reviewed the decision and still couldnt make up their minds if it was offside. Still comes down to human interpretation

the use of VAR at the Burnley game was bizarre.
Burnley get a pen, the ref is literally with the whistle in his mouth to allow the pen to be taken, the pentaker is ready to go and the decision gets change to offside. Took 1 min 40 seconds apparently.
On MOTD they reviewed the decision and still couldnt make up their minds if it was offside. Still comes down to human interpretation

Same with the penalty award for Manchester United. They scored but it’s disallowed for offside. Instead they award a penalty, ignoring another offside call.

Process took 3 minutes! Zzz

Same with the penalty award for Manchester United. They scored but it’s disallowed for offside. Instead they award a penalty, ignoring another offside call.

Process took 3 minutes! Zzz

And in the MOTD studio last night, there was divided opinion as to whether the VAR decision was in fact correct. Strange though that VAR gave Manu a pen but not Burnley. :unsure:

So VAR still settles nothing.

;