VAR

Having seen the replays from various angles, I am still not convinced that the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line!

Whether or not we personally feel the ball is over the line from any TV shot is in all reality irrelevant, like it or not.

The cameras they use are not televised but they have a minimum of 6 installed around each goal, so even if 1 or 2 are blocked, they will still have a perfect 3D view.

There was no way any linesman would have been able to give that as it was over the line for a split second, and even then, only just.

Commentator wise - as the best commentator on TV at the moment works for Sky, we won't hear him during this world cup - Martin Tyler.

As someone who is opposed to goal-line technology, I'm happy to say it worked perfectly.

The technology is not to know when a decision is potentially controversial or not, so showing the first instance when it hit the post it did its job showing the ball was on the line and not over the line.

I think the only reason why there was confusion was because it was being shown in real-life for a real close incident for the first time.

The second phase after hitting the 'keeper, the graphic showed it marginally over the line, proving that camera angles alone will never be enough.

We've argued before when people see one angle that the ball was over the line, only for someone else to say it wasn't from another, this was the perfect example of this.

Three or four angles made it look on the line, whilst only one which had the post blocking the view showed that potentially the whole ball could have crossed the line.

The technology got it right and importantly it was instant.

The other arguments over its use still stand though. :grin:

Tbh they should extend it for the touch lines and offside. As with crossing the line, it's a simple yes/no which could be instant. Off-side would be more difficult but entirely do-able.

FIFA can't really do it because of GoalRef though. Only Hawkeye could do it.

Officials can then concentrate on getting decisions right which will never be able to use technology, such as fouls.

DJ - 20/2/2013 16:12

RobTrent - 19/2/2013 19:33

When they say 'all stadia', at what level will this technological innovation go down to? Hopefully no lower than the Premiershi*.

Get this in and wait to see how long it is before Martin Tyler demands camera rulings for a corner which should have been a goal-kick, offsides that were onsides and basically any disputable decision.

:clap: :110:

Football should be the same across all levels of football, unless they develop something simple and instant that is cheap and works no matter what the level I'm not interested and Hawk Eye with its 12 cameras and computer graphics does not provide this.

It also threatens the use of more technology being introduced which would not be good. Players are not immune to making errors and neither are officials, its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9415698/dutch-fa-hopeful-on-bid-for-video-technology-to-be-approved-by-fifa

<I>The Dutch FA have revealed they have trialled a video technology system to positive effect and have the support of the English FA.

The International Football Association Board will be presented with the proposal, which would allow managers to halt play and challenge one contentious decision against their side in each half.

A video official within the stadium would then be able to advise the referee on a decision with the help of replayed footage.</I>

Don't like the making challenges part, will be used tactically, still want the power in the refs hands and his alone, if he wants to ask for help he can

Think they have something similar in cricket and tennis where you have so many chances to appeal a decision, are there any other sports?

billythekid - 12/8/2014 11:52

Think they have something similar in cricket and tennis where you have so many chances to appeal a decision, are there any other sports?

mostly the sports where delays in the game are already built into it. American Football is another one.

DJ - 12/8/2014 10:55

DJ - 20/2/2013 16:12

RobTrent - 19/2/2013 19:33

When they say 'all stadia', at what level will this technological innovation go down to? Hopefully no lower than the Premiershi*.

Get this in and wait to see how long it is before Martin Tyler demands camera rulings for a corner which should have been a goal-kick, offsides that were onsides and basically any disputable decision.

:clap: :110:

Football should be the same across all levels of football, unless they develop something simple and instant that is cheap and works no matter what the level I'm not interested and Hawk Eye with its 12 cameras and computer graphics does not provide this.

It also threatens the use of more technology being introduced which would not be good. Players are not immune to making errors and neither are officials, its all been part of the game for 150 years and it all seems to have worked rather well until now.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9415698/dutch-fa-hopeful-on-bid-for-video-technology-to-be-approved-by-fifa

<I>The Dutch FA have revealed they have trialled a video technology system to positive effect and have the support of the English FA.

The International Football Association Board will be presented with the proposal, which would allow managers to halt play and challenge one contentious decision against their side in each half.

A video official within the stadium would then be able to advise the referee on a decision with the help of replayed footage.</I>

A TV replay system allowing coaches to challenge a referee's decision may be trialled next year, Fifa president Sepp Blatter has announced.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29109481

I am now beggining to worry that fifa, and the major leagues around the world, are seeing an opportunity to generate more ad revenue on the back of delaying games, even if for a minute

USCherry - 8/9/2014 17:42

I am now beggining to worry that fifa, and the major leagues around the world, are seeing an opportunity to generate more ad revenue on the back of delaying games, even if for a minute

It was always going to happen once the flood gates had been opened on the use of technology.

Personally, I think it's quite exciting to see football becoming a 20th century sport.

The only sad thing is that is Blatter is using it as thinly veiled excuse to continue running FIFA.

Halt play or only when ball goes out of play ?
Challenges in tennis have become a tactic to break up play, needs to be cost for failed challenge eg manager to the stands for 20 minutes, manager to attend rules of the game session and test.
Will challenge only be allowed for managers who know the laws of the game and have passed a test on them ? 'He got the ball......'

This won't make anything easier for managers.
Imagine the manager challenging something which is overturned and he is not then able to make a second challenge for something that was clearly wrong - chairman sacks manager for wrong decision making!

This doesn't actually bring 'football' into any century, only the top flight levels that can afford the technology. Not only is there an elite league now, but it seems there will be an elite rule base for those clubs. This also seems to follow the trend of underming decision making by referees, in stark contrast to the 'Respect' campaign.

Simply hailing all change as progress is a shallow approach. Ruling out tackles from behind was good; 3 points for a win seems good, but has it made a difference?; play-offs were an excellent idea . Those rules could be (and were) applied at all levels.

I suppose the long breaks will be useful for those wishing to tap in to the stadiums wifi on their iPads...

;