VAR

This is brilliant! The Virtually Anal Retentives have now got the system of their dreams interrupting every top flight game, and now they're STILL squabbling over what was a 'correct' or 'incorrect' system.

All this stupid technology has done is implement an additional level of decision making into the game.

Last edited:
Lots of noise about their goal being a foul on Cook: what do we think? Not enough in it for me to be a foul, think Cook should have been stronger.

Thought Tierney had an average to poor game in general.

Lots of noise about their goal being a foul on Cook: what do we think? Not enough in it for me to be a foul, think Cook should have been stronger.

Thought Tierney had an average to poor game in general.
From behind the goal I thought it was a foul, he was all over Cook with both arms holding him down. Don't think you could fault Cook at all.

It would never be overturned by VAR.....as people will disagree. Technically it was a foul.....and Cook had no chance of being stronger really, C-L is 6ft 4 isn't he??....and he was holding Cook down with both hands on his shoulders....that isn't easy to just brush off....
This kind of challenge on a keeper would be ruled out...but rarely on a defender.

Love some of the North Stand.
Many chants of ‘Fcuk VAR’
until Calvert Lewin uses Cookie as a step ladder to score
Then chants of ‘VAR’
Nothing transpires - so back to chanting ‘Fcuk VAR’
Make your mind up!

Love some of the North Stand.
Many chants of ‘Fcuk VAR’
until Calvert Lewin uses Cookie as a step ladder to score
Then chants of ‘VAR’
Nothing transpires - so back to chanting ‘Fcuk VAR’
Make your mind up!

Yes I found that funny and yet I was probably guilty of thinking in the same way. I don’t like VAR and that type of goal standing is difficult to take with or without it. Having said that, I did think VAR would overturn it.

It did also strike me that maybe subconsciously refs are choosing not to make a decision in cases like the alleged foul on Cook for this goal, specifically because they know that VAR will (In theory) bail them out if it’s an obvious error. Would the ref have made the same live decision pre-VAR?

I’m totally biased i realise but we’ve been done again!
Cook stood his ground and the ball had gone. No Pen for me
Josh taken out with the defender no where near the ball. Pen for me
As i said........

Sorry, there's was 100% clear penalty. Trying to argue against it is foolish. It was clear enough that even if the ref hadn't given it I suspect it would have been overturned and given by VAR.

That doesn't really explain ours though which should have been given. As someone else said on another thread, it was probably an equivalent to an umpires call in that they would have stuck with whatever the ref decided. Not good enough though. The VAR implementation has been shoddy and needs a lot of work.

I know many are against it but it's here to stay so they may as well get it right. Given the amount of time they've had to prepare it's not been nearly good enough.

Plus, I thought it was supposed to be for the clear, obvious errors. If an offside is so minute that it needs a slo mo camera to “zoom”, “enhance” to even make it out, then maybe it’s time to dust off the old “giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt” rule???

If VAR was truly only brought in to disallow goals like Kings today, then what a sad state of affairs the game is in. If VAR wasn’t a thing I genuinely don’t think anyone would have had a problem with that goal. I don’t think this is what football is about.

;