What a window!

We don't know whether it's a great window or not tbf........the three I've actually heard of wouldn't excite me massively.

All new signings bring a feeling of something possibly exciting.
Yes so it's the fact the fact that we have made signings that excites us rather than the signings themselves.....I could make up a name and say we've bid 20m for him and the likes of blandford would get excited about it... as I said we don't know whether it's a good window or a bad one yet.

Yes so it's the fact the fact that we have made signings that excites us rather than the signings themselves.....I could make up a name and say we've bid 20m for him and the likes of blandford would get excited about it... as I said we don't know whether it's a good window or a bad one yet.

But as we’ve established you’re never happy. If I want to get excited about spending £20 million on a player instead of years of counting down the hours hoping a top club doesn’t poach our best player then I can be.

I'm sorry, I thought I'd give the guy a chance.

But he has been nothing but clueless.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

He steadied the ship after the poor players felt unwanted.

But since the World Cup, given weeks of preparation and evaluation he has delivered 1 point, at home to another clusterfck of a team.

I'm sorry, but giving him a chance to improve isn't quite the same as the opportunity to take us down.

If he was "nothing but clueless" surely you'd have spotted it on day one? Instead of giving him 12 games and 5 months resulting in your support?

In your own words
"I am behind the O'Neil appointment.
I've been on the fence, cristicised him some times, but think he can go on to greater things.
Maybe for once, after Eddie this internal appointment will work out.
Being 1 point above the drop zone in the PL would mean O'Neil has worked out.
Let's just give him our support, he has shown some massive improvements over Parker."

Two games later with the same squad who were previously the scapegoat
"Gary got the virus. The luckiest man alive to get a PL gig. He might outdo Liss Truss in his length of tenure. That was clueless."

Just a bit weird for the author of the dedicated "knives are out" thread to jump on literally every thread claiming the guy who they supported for 5 months is clueless and can't even speak.

I know nothing about any of them, but I am ridiculously excited. There's sweet FA we can do about any of it, so might as well just enjoy the ride..
Exactly ! Boring it isn't ! It's all part of the fun ! It's a new situation for us and it's not our money, so we should just relax and enjoy these crazy times.
Add to that the possibility of a first class training ground and potentially a new stadium in the future and it's probably the most exciting time ever to be an AFCB fan.

If you can't enjoy that, maybe it's time to look for a different hobby ?

Last time we did good business in a PL window we had a competent manager.

This could go one of two ways.

Is Bielsa advising Gary.

I doubt Gary wouldn't have some input after no wins in 10 games and a 150 dollar gamble.

Tell me I'm wrong.

This could well be 2+2=147 but I think there could be something in this. Given Bielsa won’t take over clubs midway through a season, rumours of wanting to manage young players and pace being a highly valued characteristic, is there a chance he’s pulled some strings on the transfer policy with a view to taking over from GoN at the end of the season?
Might also explain why the board opted for GoN who would presumably be happy to step down and learn from someone with such a great reputation?

Ohhhhh give me Hope Bielsa, give me hope Bielsa

Exactly ! Boring it isn't ! It's all part of the fun ! It's a new situation for us and it's not our money, so we should just relax and enjoy these crazy times.
Add to that the possibility of a first class training ground and potentially a new stadium in the future and it's probably the most exciting time ever to be an AFCB fan.

If you can't enjoy that, maybe it's time to look for a different hobby ?
Precisely

One thing we also need to prepare for in the future is a higher turnover of players than we have been used to. I think a lot of these players are coming to us because they have been told that it is their chance to shine in the PL. If they do that, we will get big offers for them and will let them move on to bigger things.

I think that's ok, that can be our selling point, but then it's up to us to recruit adequate replacements. If it works, it's understandable but it will be different.

I think the days of us having a very settled squad are probably behind us.
The business model will be about finding players with great promise, showcasing their talents in the PL and then hopefully selling them on for a profit.
A completely different approach to what we've been used to and a new challenge for the recruitment staff and manager.

I agree, but I think the investment in the training facilities and hopefully a new stadium will also lead to us bringing through more homegrown players who are more likely to want to spend their careers here. If the aim is to 'level up' (such is the ambition of Mr. Foley by all accounts) then even higher quality foreign players may start seeing us as somewhere to be longer term rather than just a stepping stone.

Whatever happens though these are truly exciting times!

Anyone claiming these are good or bad signings at this juncture are bonkers!

So many variables yet to decide either of the above. Ability to hit the ground running with pace of this league, ability to adapt to a new way of life, ability to adapt to a new language, the existing group not taking umbrage at the large pay differentials, the coaching teams ability to work a system out that suits their strengths.

Running a football team effectively is about a strategy about the whole of the above, the timings you do things and a coherent direction. Eddie built a team at Newcastle around a few studied additions and improving what he had.

Have we done the same? Time will tell. The one thing we do know is we all hope so and it is nice to be able to compete in the transfer market (Thankyou Bill!). The people that said ‘who are these mystery players that will join us’ have gone quiet now. Hopefully they are good, it’s been done wisely, and O’Neil was only being hampered by not enough quality players as opposed to his own deficiencies.

Last edited:
Anyone claiming these are good or bad signings at this juncture are bonkers!

So many variables yet to decide either of the above. Ability to hit the ground running with pace of this league, ability to adapt to a new way of life and language, ability to adapt to a new language, the existing group not taking umbrage at the large pay differentials, the coaching teams ability to work a system out that suits their strengths.

Running a football team effectively is about a strategy about the whole of the above, the timings you do things and a coherent direction. Eddie built a team at Newcastle around a few studied additions and improving what he had.

Have we done the same? Time will tell. The one thing we do know is we all hope so and it is nice to be able to compete in the transfer market (Thankyou Bill!). The people that said ‘who are these mystery players that will join us’ have gone quiet now. Hopefully they are good, it’s been done wisely, and O’Neil was only being hampered by not enough quality players as opposed to his own deficiencies.

Well said

You can only judge it after a few games and results... at this point it's just about MONEY....spent.
...and a massive addition to the overall wagebill.
.. but...but ok .. that's Bills Bill not ours !

Gary has 4 days to play with the names, get his head around the extra communication required .. and work out which ones will be getting goalside of Dunk on Saturday...yes Dunk - he who is never not there and is too good for England !
.THAT is what it's about in the next few days!
Thereafter, depending on results it could be about split camps, mass chaos.... or it could be Gary's job made easier if it all magically gels...Leadership on and off the pitch being the key factor !

;