Who would want Eddie?

Sadly throughout it all the club never really changed its mentality. That's why we don't own our own ground, we have no new training facilities and coaching staff comprises of ex league 1 and 2 players. For the price of Ibe we could have brought back our ground at least, this is unforgivable. Of course all players and staff are enjoying the hefty rewards of the golden goose but the investment in infrastructure for the fans that this seminal period in the clubs history has brought has been an absolute joke considering the huge financial incomings and one that if Sunday goes against us might be looked back on painfully. So although the memories certainly are mind bogglingly epic the legacy may well not be quite so good.

Also as mentioned above the stubbornness and loyalty of Eddie whilst admirable and in some ways has served us well at times could well see us leave the Premier League. His greatest strength is also his biggest weakness it seems.

I hope Eddie stay's and get's us back up. I'm sure he can and next time hope we do what we should have done the first time around and invest in the future and infrastructure of the club at a higher level rather than just personnel.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Eddie would flop anywhere other than here. Despite all of his success he has generally always experienced a losing streak or two a season, he also takes a long time to learn from his mistakes in certain instances, he’s the kind of manager that requires time and patience but you don’t get that anymore, especially in the Prem. Genuinely think he needs us as much as we need him and it would be a massive mistake for him to walk. Also, would he really want to leave it like this? The club he professes to love could quite easily go into free fall, if he loved us as he proclaimed would he really walk away from that?
I can’t see him walking without being pushed. Add to the points you made the fact that leaving us would also almost certainly mean unemployment for all his “mates” on the coaching staff, I just can’t see him taking that responsibility so lightly. I think if he has the option to stay, he will !

If Eddie decides he had done all that he can for us, if he decided to step down and take a break I wouldn’t begrudge him that.

One point though is there is still a year left on his contract. Should he decide to take another job, we should insist on compensation from that club even if it’s not a huge amount. At this time more than ever, we can’t allow ourselves to be seen as a soft touch.

Completely agree. Rank hypocrisy runs through this thread. All that loyalty some fans profess to have flies out the window at the first bit of a bad spell.
Let’s face it Rob,a lot of these characters were nowhere to be seen when the club was staring oblivion in the face and only rocked up once we were “big time”. They won’t hang around when the glory days are over and I say good riddance too!

Sadly throughout it all the club never really changed its mentality. That's why we don't own our own ground, we have no new training facilities and coaching staff comprises of ex league 1 and 2 players. For the price of Ibe we could have brought back our ground at least, this is unforgivable. Of course all players and staff are enjoying the hefty rewards of the golden goose but the investment in infrastructure for the fans that this seminal period in the clubs history has brought has been an absolute joke considering the huge financial incomings and one that if Sunday goes against us might be looked back on painfully. So although the memories certainly are mind bogglingly epic the legacy may well not be quite so good.

Also as mentioned above the stubbornness and loyalty of Eddie whilst admirable and in some ways has served us well at times could well see us leave the Premier League. His greatest strength is also his biggest weakness it seems.

I hope Eddie stay's and get's us back up. I'm sure he can and next time hope we do what we should have done the first time around and invest in the future and infrastructure of the club at a higher level rather than just personnel.
Have you ever thought of applying for the post of chief executive? The club could clearly benefit from your undoubted foresight and business acumen.

Let’s face it Rob,a lot of these characters were nowhere to be seen when the club was staring oblivion in the face and only rocked up once we were “big time”. They won’t hang around when the glory days are over and I say good riddance too!

This, so so this.

Although it has been notable in the last couple of seasons that a few of the, how shall I put this (older more experienced posters) seem to wet themselves & have rants on here, more often than not.

Quite surprising really that one bad season in the Premiership & probably our poorest season since 2012 under Groves, they'd be so vocal with their tantrums.

Even more surprising considering some of the sh*t we've all had to witness over the years pre Eddie.

So much sense spoken here particularly about the mind set of the club. Try telling that to some that we've not blown a golden opportunity!

Very difficult one. I believe our strategy was to invest in young talent, sell at a profit and therefore pay down debt. I would be shocked if Max and the board just wanted to tread water.

Mings was an example of the strategy albeit we were arguably fortunate how it worked out to sell for £26 mil. Ake will be the next big sale. Sadly one of my favourites King will also likely leave for a reduced fee due to the contract situation. The others, who knows, we will find out their market value in the coming months.

With hindsight selling Wilson at his peak for circa £40 mil would have yielded significant profit too, and probably been the right move, instead the new contract was awarded and his form has declined and therefore his value.

The only alternative as I see it is to have adopted a more cautious approach in the mould of Norwich and Burnley where less money goes into players and build long term by yo-yoing between Champ and Prem. This brings risk in itself as the Champ is extremely competitive, and hard to get out of (as we are likely to experience next season).

Tell me how this opportunity was affordable.
Although, I suspect you know my opinion on this. The club made a choice to spend ridiculous amounts on transfer fees and wages, without getting the basics right first, way more than the likes of Norwich or Burnley, who are clubs I'd have modeled ourselves on. There is no right or wrong way of doing things, just different but we will see where we end up. Do you think we've invested wisely?

Although, I suspect you know my opinion on this. The club made a choice to spend ridiculous amounts on transfer fees and wages, without getting the basics right first, way more than the likes of Norwich or Burnley, who are clubs I'd have modeled ourselves on. There is no right or wrong way of doing things, just different but we will see where we end up. Do you think we've invested wisely?
We've done arguably better than Norwich, but maybe not as good as Burnley. Certainly a 'big' club like Villa already has said infrastructure and cant do more than scramble for safety.

Even Burnley got relegated and until we spend some time in the Championship I think your claim is unfounded.

We've done arguably better than Norwich, but maybe not as good as Burnley. Certainly a 'big' club like Villa already has said infrastructure and cant do more than scramble for safety.

Even Burnley got relegated and until we spend some time in the Championship I think your claim is unfounded.
Norwich and Burnley already had the stadiums but have invested in their academies rather than paying big wages and transfer fees, imo we need both. I accept if we go up again, we'll never be more than scrambling for our safety anyway. Over recent times we've done better than Norwich but no way over the history of our clubs. I really hope my claim is unfounded and I accept I can't do anything about it anyway, only moan, which to be honest I've been known to do from time to time :)

Feyenoord or someone similar on the continent. I can see him using it as a way to further his education and experience.
That makes a lot of sense for him. He's basically failed the exam at the top level, but he's still young. He may feel he's better off getting a bit more street-wise somewhere else, even as a number two to a bigger name. Naturally, as a fan, I don't want this to happen.

;