Why.................

Not sure I agree with that. Just balancing out the consequence by giving a pen ignores the wilfulness of the offence, which IMO needs to be punished, like all punishments to deter further offences. I’ve seen goalies dismissed for bringing down players (Jens Lehman Champions League Final v. Barcelona anyone?)- have goalies got some kind of immunity now I wasn’t aware of?
Yes, I believe goalies now only get a yellow.

Not sure I agree with that. Just balancing out the consequence by giving a pen ignores the wilfulness of the offence, which IMO needs to be punished, like all punishments to deter further offences. I’ve seen goalies dismissed for bringing down players (Jens Lehman Champions League Final v. Barcelona anyone?)- have goalies got some kind of immunity now I wasn’t aware of?
I see you point about discouraging future offenses. I suppose I'm thinking about it in a balancing way. I personally think a red kills the game but I do see what you're saying.

I think for all the things that are wrong in football, in which there are many, yesterdays incident (other than the officials getting it very, very wrong on the pitch) isn’t up there.

If a player is making zero attempt to win the ball legally, a red card and a penalty is a just punishment. There has to be a consequence bigger than just conceding a goal otherwise every scenario of a goal scoring chance will see someone hacking at any player in the nearby vicinity to stop the goal being awarded and to just concede a penalty.

Defender to deliberately use his hands in the box, it’s got to be a red and a penalty otherwise every defender will do it all of the time and it’ll make things farcical.

When was the last time you took your shirt off because you were feeling emotional.
Odd thing to do.

I am assuming you aren't a bot.
I don’t slide on my knees or do a mid air somersault when I’m emotional either. I’m guessing footballers are just a little bit weird in your world.

I think for all the things that are wrong in football, in which there are many, yesterdays incident (other than the officials getting it very, very wrong on the pitch) isn’t up there.

If a player is making zero attempt to win the ball legally, a red card and a penalty is a just punishment. There has to be a consequence bigger than just conceding a goal otherwise every scenario of a goal scoring chance will see someone hacking at any player in the nearby vicinity to stop the goal being awarded and to just concede a penalty.

Defender to deliberately use his hands in the box, it’s got to be a red and a penalty otherwise every defender will do it all of the time and it’ll make things farcical.
A penalty is almost always a better chance than one denied with a yellow card to boot.
If it was ever tactically sensible to take the hit on conceding a pen and getting a yellow then you'd see it every week like the "take one for the team" counter attack yellows.

So Diallo red carded, he'll miss the semi final. Whilst I can understand the emotion, dumb thing to do knowing he'll miss the next game.

As mentioned above, removing the shirt and revealing a message underneath is something to be avoided I guess, so should be yellow carded. Seems daft to give a yellow but understandable in this day and age.

When was the last time you took your shirt off because you were feeling emotional.
Odd thing to do.

I am assuming you aren't a bot.

Maybe just accept people react differently in extreme emotional situations.

Scoring a goal is a great feeling at any level, never mind at top professional levels, thousands screaming, cheering etc.

Not a big deal imo. Certainly woukdbt sneer at others for doing it.

Last edited:
According to ref watch, the booking for taking your shirt off is actually FIFA reacting to it being offensive in some countries around the world.

Unless things have changed recently

Law 12.3 of Ifab's Laws of the Game states: “A player must be cautioned if he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt.” The directive was brought in 20 years ago to reduce time-wasting and discourage players from displaying political messages on a garment underneath, which is outlawed by Fifa.

I don’t slide on my knees or do a mid air somersault when I’m emotional either. I’m guessing footballers are just a little bit weird in your world.
When the missus finally agrees to the bi-annual rumpy-pumpy?

Different story then isn't it?

That's why I got rid of the carpet in the bedroom and installed Lino.

When the Westminster was in the bedroom and I got the nod, I'd have to have 3 months off with third degree burns to the knees.

Since the linoleum installation, we've cut it down to 4 days off each time she agrees.

;