Womens Euros

I sometimes wonder that the more 'professional' (read money involved/at stake), the more scientific, studied, analyzed' etc a sport becomes. Struggling to think many sports that haven;t become a little more sterile over the past decade or so, despite records/numbers on paper always being improved.

The upside is higher performance 'output', more technical, endurance etc, pretty much anything measured is coached and incrementally improved over time, but ends up losing something as a result. Becomes closer and closer to a maths equation (relative to the sport, always will be 'human' element to some degree) and loses some its magic/soul etc.

Plus in established sports there's little to separate teams/people at highest levels... finer margins. Whereas ladies football, still in its professional infancy, end up with mismatches more often, whether at team level, or odd matchup between players on pitch, as more likely to be bigger difference between best and worst players in each team, so more likely to see open/'entertaining' games.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder that the more 'professional' (read money involved/at stake), the more scientific, studied, analyzed' etc a sport becomes. Struggling to think many sports that haven;t become a little more sterile over the past decade or so, despite records/numbers on paper always being improved.

The upside is higher performance 'output', more technical, endurance etc, pretty much anything measured is coached and incrementally improved over time, but ends up losing something as a result. Becomes closer and closer to a maths equation (relative to the sport, always will be 'human' element to some degree) and loses some its magic/soul etc.

Plus in established sports there's little to separate teams/people at highest levels... finer margins. Whereas ladies football, still in its professional infancy, end up with mismatches more often, whether at team level, or odd matchup between players on pitch, as more likely to be bigger difference between best and worst players in each team, so more likely to see open/'entertaining' games.

Or, rather than over analysing it…considering the occasion and atmosphere it was just, fun.

That 3rd goal...back- heel nutmegging the keeper...ain't seen skill like it since Greaves and Law !
Fantastic performance and result... .but...

...here's what you Don't want to Hear
...they have Celebrated too much .. OTT...oh dear...S'Caroline and the ' Coming Home' bogey song and other bollux...

....the bloody Krauts...the Coleslaw and Sausage Brigade. ...and maybe the Frogs too...but defo the Germans..will have noted that....it will be part of their plan....Our developed tournament over - confidence....
The balance has to be right...Cool like Bjorn Borg.. I would like to have seen just handshakes , Stan Mathews style....English Calm and Ruthless Efficiency.. like Horatio Nelson !
... ok maybe a few shrieks ( they ARE girls).. and home to bed...and back to hard training in the morn.
Celebration uses up Energy. Mark that.

The Gush.. Celeb Culture...the Press TV and Radio w@nkers over - cooking the thrills..might Undo the Momentum...believe me..its a f√cking Sin...

They will 'Kick Us while we are Up' ..if you can process that little gem of mine...the Elites among you must get real....this is Germany and France we are talking about...
I don't want to be Right on this....and hope England know what they are doing and tread this post into the turf....but I'm just saying like....my insurance. :hmmm:......:shrug:

Last edited:

Should have said far more enjoyable than watching the men's England team. Because the men's team is managed by someone who plays safe, unexciting football. There is rarely any spark, joy or enthusiasm in the men's team.

Last night the women's team showed enterprise, enthusiasm, skill and commitment. I'd love the men's team to do the same.

Also, no abusive chanting, no hostility between the players, no rolling around pretending to be injured or trying to get opponents yellow carded. Just more civilised all round really.

What a difference a couple of weeks make. At the start of the Euros there was a lot of push back, against comparing men's and women's football, it's typical B.B.C. wokery-pokery making us watch it on primetime. Now they're getting massive viewing figures and loads of people taking a new/real interest in football. This week the E.F.L. kicks off, the Prem-de-la-Prem the week after, there's going to be loads of people saying " why do they compare men's football to women's football, how come it gets so much air time" : )

We're all the same but different, let's celebrate a home nation doing well in an international competition on home soil. Just like 10 years ago, there were doom and gloomers about then, before it began but it turned out to be bloody brilliant : )

its been a great watch. the quality has really improved over the last few years. the old cliche of the dodgy goalkeeping still has legs, better, but still weak for some reason. can't help but wonder when professionalism (by that I mean cheating, and the loss of sportswomanship) will kick in, wont be long is my feeling.

its been a great watch. the quality has really improved over the last few years. the old cliche of the dodgy goalkeeping still has legs, better, but still weak for some reason. can't help but wonder when professionalism (by that I mean cheating, and the loss of sportswomanship) will kick in, wont be long is my feeling.
Yes, goalkeeping is one area where the womens' game is lacking a bit and last night proved to be no exception.

It will come though and I hope that technical expertise doesn't drive out the competitiveness, excitement and fair play that we've seen in the Euros.

Although not the technical level of the mens game…a thoroughly enjoyable match with plenty of effort and passion. No chuntering at the referee…no diving and play acting…just playing football in the spirit it should be played in!
That GK and Russo great to watch!

Some cheeky one-twos. Passing skills need working on but they were great. Sweden will be very disappointed. They fell to pieces.

What a difference a couple of weeks make. At the start of the Euros there was a lot of push back, against comparing men's and women's football, it's typical B.B.C. wokery-pokery making us watch it on primetime. Now they're getting massive viewing figures and loads of people taking a new/real interest in football. This week the E.F.L. kicks off, the Prem-de-la-Prem the week after, there's going to be loads of people saying " why do they compare men's football to women's football, how come it gets so much air time" : )

We're all the same but different, let's celebrate a home nation doing well in an international competition on home soil. Just like 10 years ago, there were doom and gloomers about then, before it began but it turned out to be bloody brilliant : )

Women's football is going to become MASSIVE. Think of all the sponsorship deals, merchandise sales etc.

Professional ladies (football...) teams have regularly been demolished by school boy teams.

Like you say, to make it League 1 or 2... or even semi professional teams, you still need to be within top 1% or 2 in the country. No mean feat considering millions play the sport regularly, or at least did throughout their childhood.

I know some of the quality may not have looked good at times in lower leagues, but would make me laugh when people would scoff at how lower league players were almost as bad as their pub team. Recall playing with some lads in work 5 a side that used to play for Hamworthy, and they'd demolish most the other players at a canter... we were range of players in average to higher Bournemouthsaturday/sunday leagues. They couldn;t get into first team at Hamworthy, who AFCB used to smash a side barely breaking a sweat most seasons.

The quality like you said of even semi pro is unbelievably high. Isn’t the nat league south and north now pro and paying decent money?

Problem with goalkeepers is partly
The goal which were designed for male GK who are 6 foot 3 or taller on average. A tall woman is 5 foot 9 and simply cant cover. I do like the lack of diving and then getting straight back up.

Last edited:

;