Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth- FA Cup Third Round

4231 doesn't mean every player/position is symmetrical. Or their roles are exactly the same.

Cook is not as defensive as lerma, and certainly isn't playing as an attacking midfielder like Billing.

No team plays 4123... seriously.
4123 is parkers system.....one no 6 and two no.8s......not sure I share other posters view that Marcondes is the answer though as he played that role alongside Billing early in the season and didn't exactly pull up any trees.
Which is why signing someone like Rothwell makes a lot of sense .
Playing Lewis there is lunacy tbf.

4231 doesn't mean every player/position is symmetrical. Or their roles are exactly the same.

Indeed, it’s a variant of 4-3-3. But doesn’t fit perfectly into a specific “formation”.

The “one 6 and two 8’s” is close, but even that’s not accurate as the recent example of Lewis Cook and Billing obviously didn’t have them playing the same role. Billing was closer to 10 with Cook as a kind of number 8.

It’s flexible, interchangeable and the midfield 3 and wide attackers roles change depending on game plan and opposition.

Indeed, it’s a variant of 4-3-3. But doesn’t fit perfectly into a specific “formation”.

The “one 6 and two 8’s” is close, but even that’s not accurate as the recent example of Lewis Cook and Billing obviously didn’t have them playing the same role. Billing was closer to 10 with Cook as a kind of number 8.

It’s flexible, interchangeable and the midfield 3 and wide attackers roles change depending on game plan and opposition.
Yes but how much of that is by design?... Billing is always going to look like he's playing further forward than either Cook or Lerma because he's more suited to the role of an attacking midfielder..... Marcondes was definitely brought in to play that role alongside Billing but Parker doesn't seem to trust him

Cook is not as defensive as lerma, and certainly isn't playing as an attacking midfielder like Billing.

No team plays 4123... seriously.
It’s all marginal because when pegged back it’s a different formation all together but we don’t play two holding midfielders like we did with JT we play with one. The fact Cook doesn’t look like Billing is less to do with the system and more to do with the player which is the whole point of what I am saying. Watch them closely next home game… Cook (or whoever plays there) will be level with Billing when we have possession.

Yes but how much of that is by design?... Billing is always going to look like he's playing further forward than either Cook or Lerma because he's more suited to the role of an attacking midfielder..... Marcondes was definitely brought in to play that role alongside Billing but Parker doesn't seem to trust him
Spot on.

I couldn't give a fcuk about others opinions, least of all yours, but when you are stupid enough to slag off the supporters of my club (not yours, clearly) you open yourself up to even more ridicule

If you're not so bothered why did you flounce off a few weeks ago citing mental health issues? lol
Why do you keep lying? I never cited mental health issues. I said that you need to be more careful about the way you speak to others as you never know what somebody may be going through. It was advice. Do you think I would still be posting on here if I had mental health issues? With the amount of abuse I get do you not think I’d have topped myself (as you so eloquently put it) by now. If you don’t give a f**k about opinions then I’m genuinely intrigued as to why you are on this board, if it’s for the companionship then that’s a little sad. Maybe try making some friends in the real world? My opinion was that the support was poor yesterday, you seem to be under this impression that ridicule on here is a problem for me. Maybe I have let it get to me once or twice in the past but it’s not an issue, thank you for worrying about me though, it means a lot. Love ya x

It’s all marginal because when pegged back it’s a different formation all together but we don’t play two holding midfielders like we did with JT we play with one. The fact Cook doesn’t look like Billing is less to do with the system and more to do with the player which is the whole point of what I am saying. Watch them closely next home game… Cook (or whoever plays there) will be level with Billing when we have possession.
I don't actually think we did play with two holding midfielders under JT tbf....Lerma played well advanced of Cook which got the best out of Lewis but to the detriment of Jeff......Woodgate was the one who played two holders with Jeff and Pearlo.

I don't actually think we did play with two holding midfielders under JT tbf....Lerma played well advanced of Cook which got the best out of Lewis but to the detriment of Jeff......Woodgate was the one who played two holders with Jeff and Pearlo.
We played all sorts under JT tbf, Lerma was quite often advanced though. Lerma should never be advanced, it’s like having a Ferrari and then ripping out the engine and installing a second hand car engine.

Cook would have to stand on a crate to be level with Billing. Just saying …

Fourth round in the FA cup both seasons. Yeah , monumentous.
We've gone past the fourth round twice in 30 years. I think that was the most frustrating thing of the Eddie years, for me anyway, that with the talent we had in those glory seasons in the PL we couldn't muster a cup run because Eddie wasn't interested. Arguably the same could be said of Parker i guess, as there were 10 changes in that lineup so we'll see what happens and who we get drawn against in the next round. I think the difference yesterday was that some of those who don't play regularly put in a shift to show the gaffer what they can do. We didn't seem to get that from the second string players Eddie fielded.
Covid and injuries ment SP had to make wholesale changes.

Why do you keep lying? I never cited mental health issues. I said that you need to be more careful about the way you speak to others as you never know what somebody may be going through. It was advice. Do you think I would still be posting on here if I had mental health issues? With the amount of abuse I get do you not think I’d have topped myself (as you so eloquently put it) by now. If you don’t give a f**k about opinions then I’m genuinely intrigued as to why you are on this board, if it’s for the companionship then that’s a little sad. Maybe try making some friends in the real world? My opinion was that the support was poor yesterday, you seem to be under this impression that ridicule on here is a problem for me. Maybe I have let it get to me once or twice in the past but it’s not an issue, thank you for worrying about me though, it means a lot. Love ya x

more whiny bedwettery
agreed, ridicule clearly isn't a problem for you lol

btw, try using paragraphs, it makes your shite slightly less difficult to read

Didn't realise Brennan Camp is a Weymouth fan and was on the terraces supporting them at Yeovil earlier this season.

Yes, agree its marginal and probably semantics as its fluid.

I will certainly watch closer, but I'm confident their roles are different. Cook is rarely as far forwards as Billing. You say its due to the player, not the system, but how do you know that? I can't recall Parker or anyone at the club stating that.

The formation may transition to 3 forwards when attacking, but I''m pretty confident if you were to approach Parker, he wouldn;t say the initial formation is 4123 way too offensive, particularly as fullbacks are given so much attacking responsibility

Styles are much more fluid than they were in years ago.

Yes, agree its marginal and probably semantics as its fluid.

I will certainly watch closer, but I'm confident their roles are different. Cook is rarely as far forwards as Billing. You say its due to the player, not the system, but how do you know that? I can't recall Parker or anyone at the club stating that.

The formation may transition to 3 forwards when attacking, but I''m pretty confident if you were to approach Parker, he wouldn;t say the initial formation is 4123 way too offensive, particularly as fullbacks are given so much attacking responsibility

Styles are much more fluid than they were in years ago.

Bang on, all three of the central midfielders in the system have their own individual roles.

The holding/deep/shielding midfielder might have the most defined and “obvious” role, but the other two have different roles and those roles change.

For example, Billing is the most constant selection. But his brief changes depending on the game. Sometimes he’s operating wider, sometimes very central and close to Solanke, sometimes deeper.

The other “8” has his own brief.

Bit sad, but quiet at work... :D

I see formation and roles as something like this. Billing perhaps a little deeper, making it 433/451, depending how you see it.

Other screenshot is of CM roles available. Cook possibly fits in with Roaming Playmaker role. Whereas Billing attacking midfielder role. Lerma has ball winning midfielder role, with support instructions, so still goes forwards at times.

Attachments

• formation.png
    formation.png
    286 KB · Views: 5
  • midfield role.png
    midfield role.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

;