50 gigs that changed music. (non)

According to the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ylan-goes-electric-50-gigs-that-changed-music

There's about a dozen I would have loved to be at, but only managed one.

That being the obvious.

Kate Bush's only tour, at the Art Centre.

A memorable gig made slightly strange by us going to the stage door after the gig and meeting her as she came out.

A bit stoned and smelled like she hadn't had a bath in 3 months.

The one I would liked to have seen was Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

Seen some of the others, but not as in article.

Where are Queen and Tina?

Plus the Quo on their regular visits to Bournemouth. :grinning:

There were some amazing gigs at the Village. Stand outs for me were The Stranglers, the first time I ever saw punks.
Live Stiffs. Wreckless Eric and Lene Lovich being the stars.
Human League. Before they went MOR with the women, we even had a slide show.
Man.......in quadrophonic!
Gary Glitter, let's not go there!

Surprised that the 1969 IOW Festival has not been included. Headline act was Bob Dylan and included the Moody Blues and Joe Cocker. 150000 turned up and the " sights and smells" were something to behold ! When you think that Woodstock " only" attracted 400000-then that is an incredible audience for a tiny Island and became the forerunner of so many British Festivals.
I went to the first festival in1968 which was headlined by Jefferson Airplane- entrance fee £ 1.25 !

There were some amazing gigs at the Village. Stand outs for me were The Stranglers, the first time I ever saw punks.
Live Stiffs. Wreckless Eric and Lene Lovich being the stars.
Human League. Before they went MOR with the women, we even had a slide show.
Man.......in quadrophonic!
Gary Glitter, let's not go there!

Seems we were at a fair few gigs together.
Yep, even Glitter once.

Interesting thread, thanks.
My own memorable gigs were
2 of the 4 Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Hammersmith Odeon where I heard songs like Southern Man, Like a Hurricane and Cortez the Killer live for the first time.
CSNY, Joni Mitchell and The Band at Wembley in 1975
Elton, The Beach Boys and The Eagles amongst others at Wembley in 1976
Fleetwood Mac in 1977 at the height of their Rumours fame. Wonderful.
Dire Straits oh in some club in central London in 1978 before they got really famous.
The Fabulous Thunderbirds in a club in Bournemouth, about 1980 it was the backing band for ? Nick Lowe? Not sure. Blues Rock. Wonderful. Kim Wilson singer and harmonica player with Jimmie Vaughan (Stevie Ray Vaughan's elder brother).
Did I say it was wonderful? The sounds you remember forever.

The 2 Tone gig at the (then) Chelsea Village in ‘79 was special (excuse the pun).

I remember that Terry Hall was in the same pub or bar as us before the gig, but I can’t remember what pub it was.

According to the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ylan-goes-electric-50-gigs-that-changed-music

There's about a dozen I would have loved to be at, but only managed one.

That being the obvious.

Kate Bush's only tour, at the Art Centre.

A memorable gig made slightly strange by us going to the stage door after the gig and meeting her as she came out.

A bit stoned and smelled like she hadn't had a bath in 3 months.
I afraid I didn't make the Tour of Life, only the 2014 Apollo show which was as outstanding as you'd expect it to be.

Surprised to see no mention of The Stones in that list, considering their position in the pantheon of rock gods....

Or Bruce Springsteen, for that matter.

The 2 Tone gig at the (then) Chelsea Village in ‘79 was special (excuse the pun).

I remember that Terry Hall was in the same pub or bar as us before the gig, but I can’t remember what pub it was.

One of my big regrets that I didn't go but seen all Three bands plenty of times since

Seen loads at the BIC. Some good , some really good and some awful. Favourites were Human League and Florence and the Machine. Worst by far was Rhianna

Interesting thread, thanks.
My own memorable gigs were
2 of the 4 Neil Young & Crazy Horse at the Hammersmith Odeon where I heard songs like Southern Man, Like a Hurricane and Cortez the Killer live for the first time.
CSNY, Joni Mitchell and The Band at Wembley in 1975
Elton, The Beach Boys and The Eagles amongst others at Wembley in 1976
Fleetwood Mac in 1977 at the height of their Rumours fame. Wonderful.
Dire Straits oh in some club in central London in 1978 before they got really famous.
The Fabulous Thunderbirds in a club in Bournemouth, about 1980 it was the backing band for ? Nick Lowe? Not sure. Blues Rock. Wonderful. Kim Wilson singer and harmonica player with Jimmie Vaughan (Stevie Ray Vaughan's elder brother).
Did I say it was wonderful? The sounds you remember forever.

The Fabulous Thunderbirds were support for Dave Edmunds and it was at Chelsea Village. Great gig. Saw a few other great ones there too; Johnny "Guitar" Watson only a couple of dozen people there but he was great, Procul Harum, Blondie's first UK gig, The Jam.

;