Aaron Ramsdale

I've also thought that both were doing very well. I also thought that Lerma and Billing are a really effective screen, but that it blunts our attack a little (though that might be we're missing Brooks more than we thought). Then this pretty objective stat comes up which seems to imply that despite three clean sheets, maybe our defence hasn't yet got all the way from inept to ept

Its not so much about restricting shots all the time as it is restricting good opportunities (xG). If the opposition are forced by Cook or Ake to shoot from poor positions thats fine, and Ramsdale will expect to make the save. Those statistics don't relfect that.

Its not so much about restricting shots all the time as it is restricting good opportunities (xG). If the opposition are forced by Cook or Ake to shoot from poor positions thats fine, and Ramsdale will expect to make the save. Those statistics don't relfect that.
As I said above Ramsdale has said part of the strategy is to restrict the opposition to shots from 25 yards

Is there a website where expected goals and actual goals (both ends) can be compared?

Is there a website where expected goals and actual goals (both ends) can be compared?
This is quite a good site which shows the xG of each shot during a match too.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Our xG this season is 16.5 compared to an actual goals scored of 15. Our xG against is 18.89 compared to actual goals against of 15. Suggests we aren’t quite being as clinical with a shooting as we could but at the other end, sides are either less clinical against us too or we have a goal keeper who is performing well above expectations.

This is quite a good site which shows the xG of each shot during a match too.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

Our xG this season is 16.5 compared to an actual goals scored of 15. Our xG against is 18.89 compared to actual goals against of 15. Suggests we aren’t quite being as clinical with a shooting as we could but at the other end, sides are either less clinical against us too or we have a goal keeper who is performing well above expectations.
Do you know if there is any way of differentiating those stats a bit; i.e., looking at the opposing team's xG against us, but then looking at what % of those shots were saved,, and what % went wide?
So, if we win a game 3-0 but the other team's xG was 2.1, it would be interesting to know whether most of the high-value opportunities they had were saved, or just missed.
For example, Harry Arter's penalty miss v Southampton (where he slipped) would have an xG value of about .7, but without taking that into account the stats would look more favourable to Southampton's goalkeeper.

Do you know if there is any way of differentiating those stats a bit; i.e., looking at the opposing team's xG against us, but then looking at what % of those shots were saved,, and what % went wide?
So, if we win a game 3-0 but the other team's xG was 2.1, it would be interesting to know whether most of the high-value opportunities they had were saved, or just missed.
For example, Harry Arter's penalty miss v Southampton (where he slipped) would have an xG value of about .7, but without taking that into account the stats would look more favourable to Southampton's goalkeeper.
Yeah if you look at the results page and click on a game it shows you the shot map of each team. They are represented by blobs with the largest blobs being the higher quality shots. And if you click on each shot it will say if it’s a shot or header and if it went wide or saved

Fair point about xG vs actual shots. That was Dyche's thing about allowing shots but from poor positions. So to rank the division by xG against would give a better idea of how the defence is protecting the keeper or not

Yeah if you look at the results page and click on a game it shows you the shot map of each team. They are represented by blobs with the largest blobs being the higher quality shots. And if you click on each shot it will say if it’s a shot or header and if it went wide or saved
Right, I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to see (and maybe this exists somewhere) a stat that would show Ramsdale's save percentage as a function of the xG of all the shots he faced.
Simply stopping 30 of 40 shots doesn't really tell you anything because, well, who knows how hard the saves were.
Clicking on each individual blob doesn't seem like the way to do this; surely there must be some pre-existing statistical aggregation on this.

That's right up my street, pm me for daily rates

Also if EH is reading this give me a job with Garvan,I can make his analysis better I guarantee it, also will cost less than most of your players

Right, I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to see (and maybe this exists somewhere) a stat that would show Ramsdale's save percentage as a function of the xG of all the shots he faced.
Simply stopping 30 of 40 shots doesn't really tell you anything because, well, who knows how hard the saves were.
Clicking on each individual blob doesn't seem like the way to do this; surely there must be some pre-existing statistical aggregation on this.
I think theyre categorised as follows:

Save
Good save
Great save
F***ing great save

Just enjoy the game, less of the stats already!! ;-)

I didn't realise they were playing!

Just seen the Dutch goal and its an error from Ramsdale sadly, looks like he thought he was going to get clobbered. Some solid saves otherwise though.

;