AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace

I don't think Howe wants to play Mings there. He hasn't played at left back since his injury. It's a very different role to centre back, different movements, twists etc.

It's why full backs sometimes move more centrally as they get older (Francis a prime example), playing as a centre back may well protect Mings, who has been susceptible to numerous injuries.

We could play a back 3 of Ake, Cook, Mings/Francis but can’t remember the last time we played that formation at home

No player is bigger than the club Billy.....certainly not Ryan anyway!:)
He'll play where hes told to play...although perhaps Stan might play instead of Ibe tbf.

Agree, but Ryan would be absolutely wasted back there.

As I mentioned in preview nice “headache” for Eddie with such a choice at the moment.

When you see Pugh actually on the bench for a League Cup game and then playing for the U21’s you can see how strong this squad is this season. Especially in midfield.

We could play a back 3 of Ake, Cook, Mings/Francis but can’t remember the last time we played that formation at home

Yes we could and it suits Mings. But then you’re looking at maybe Ryan Fraser at left wing back.

Still square pegs in round holes and a change of system.

Once again we are worrying about our formation( that word) and who to play. As we know Palace can, on a good day, stroke it around like Man City ..and on a bad day poke it around like Brechin City..a bit like us! If it's a good day for them Townsend needs as much attention as Zaha. Defence for them and us is the weak area...it must be time now surely once and for all to find out if Mings and Simpson can be of use in this side. Ake and Cook are stable and hopefully Rico..but I think Eddie needs to take a few more risks with the others .We shouldn't have to resort to Wee Man at the back!

If everyone is fit I’d like to see this

Begovic
Smith Cook Aké Rico
Lerma Gosling
Stan Brooks Fraser
Wilson

Square pegs in square holes with Lerma and Gosling hopefully a nice shield in front of the defence should Zaha be given freedom by Roy to roam around the pitch

Stan, Brooks and Fraser are a fluid attacking trio capable of scoring and creating. I don’t think King has been at his best so I think this system gets the best out of our other players.

If everyone is fit I’d like to see this

Begovic
Smith Cook Aké Rico
Lerma Gosling
Stan Brooks Fraser
Wilson

Square pegs in square holes with Lerma and Gosling hopefully a nice shield in front of the defence should Zaha be given freedom by Roy to roam around the pitch

Stan, Brooks and Fraser are a fluid attacking trio capable of scoring and creating. I don’t think King has been at his best so I think this system gets the best out of our other players.

Can't see him dropping King.

Begovic

Smith Cook Ake Daniels
Brooks Surman Cook Fraser
King Wilson

Sinple 4-4-2, Surman and Cook providing creativity as well as defenc down the middle with the usual two up front

For me..

Begovic

Smith Cook Ake Rico

Stan Gosling Lerma Cook Fraser

Wilson (or King)

As a team that likes to play with the ball 5 in midfield has always suited us.

If Rico not fit then I would bring Mings in.

Gosling is injured I believe.

Doubt it'll be 4-5-1

This might be a useful tactic tonight. ;)

Troy Deeney has admitted Watford’s players recently ‘took it in turns’ to target and kick Wilfried Zaha during their recent encounter with Crystal Palace.

The forward Deeney revealed that a plan based around fouling Zaha was devised to stop the Crystal Palace forward during the 2-1 Premier League victory at Vicarage Road on 26 August.

"You take it in turns kicking him," Deeney told BBC Radio Five Live. "I know no one wants to hear that, but you go: 'You hit this time, you hit him the next time'. You don't have the same player tackle him because you know you're going to get booked."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-palace-latest-updates-fixtures-a8560731.html

;