AFC Bournemouth v Stoke City - League Cup Third Round

Normally 5 strong ones and 1 back up. It’s two positions and ones that attract more sendings offs and suspensions.

Part of our issue is we don’t have a full back that can play there like we’ve had in the past with Franno, Newson, Young etc. We have signed two very small full backs.

The year we came up we had Cahill, Phillips, Kelly and Mepham as first choices with Rossi as back up, Hill as a rookie and Lerma for emergency cover. We’ve moved from that to just four players. We let the back up go out on loan. More examples of the dearth of talent in our recruitment strategy.

Tbh I think we are light by one player, especially if you think that one of our CBs is left back cover. I was asking about how many other PL clubs have though because that more relevant than our squad in the championship. Plus in your example Philips only came in because Cahill was fucked.

I find it strange that we have so many wingers, no true backup for Dom and only one LB.
No Cahill (early PL season version, Philips or Stephens in the defence, quite strange really).
It looks like we're just hoping we aren't found out.

Plus of course a lack of leadership on the field (will Adams provide that, I hope so?)

I think we are expecting a lot from Scott and Adams as the lack of goals up front and a leaky defence is a recipe for relegation. I personally think we'll be OK, let's wait and see.

Some lower league sides still in the cup. Assuming we win tonight, I’m hoping for Mansfield away. I’ve not seen a game there and it is only an hour down the road for me. Win that and I think we’d be in the last 8 :)

The problem here is that we would have played three games in a week. Playing too many first team players against Stoke will impact on the Arsenal game due to fatique and tiredness. Although the Arsenal game is a write off anyway. We now have a centre back injury issue of which will probably cause the loss of both games.
As a matter of interest,and bowing to your superior knowledge, which games do you actually see us winning this season? Maybe Stoke will be a step too far for us!!?

Interesting quotes from Iraola regarding Pearson.....said that the decision to sell him was made before he arrived at the club and even though Pearson was training with the development squad during pre-season he had never met Pearson.....I find that all a bit odd tbh.....you would think that our manager would at least be involved in the conversation of which players we keep.

Interesting quotes from Iraola regarding Pearson.....said that the decision to sell him was made before he arrived at the club and even though Pearson was training with the development squad during pre-season he had never met Pearson.....I find that all a bit odd tbh.....you would think that our manager would at least be involved in the conversation of which players we keep.

Been the same way since Tindall was in charge.

maybe it was Pearsons decision? he doesn't strike me as someone who is happy to be on the fringe of a team

maybe it was Pearsons decision? he doesn't strike me as someone who is happy to be on the fringe of a team
I could understand that if there hadn't been a change of manager........but you would think that Pearson would want to have a chat with Iraola to see if he was in his plans......especially in the knowledge that Lerma was leaving.

Same with Cook two years before. We have very much moved to the European style of Director of football bringing in and out players for a coach to work with. Lots of evidence of it. It was why Eddie left when presented with it. The system is actually in my opinion a better one but only if the Director of Football is the correct level.

Same with Cook two years before. We have very much moved to the European style of Director of football bringing in and out players for a coach to work with. Lots of evidence of it. It was why Eddie left when presented with it. The system is actually in my opinion a better one but only if the Director of Football is the correct level.
Eddie then went into a job where something similar is in place so he obviously wasn't totally opposed to the idea.....as you say maybe he didn't feel that Blake and Hughes were competent enough.......although I'm pretty sure Eddie is consulted when it comes to recruitment at Newcastle as is any manager that a club values.

Eddie then went into a job where something similar is in place so he obviously wasn't totally opposed to the idea.....as you say maybe he didn't feel that Blake and Hughes were competent enough.......although I'm pretty sure Eddie is consulted when it comes to recruitment at Newcastle as is any manager that a club values.
Yes. He is working for one of the worlds best directors of football. Not being beholden to someone he gave the job to in the first place and who he probably thought he was a better judge then.

I know for a fact Parker wanted to use Cook more and was frustrated he couldn’t.

;