AFCB Women

On the grounds that it seems that sadly the top female international players seem currently to be earning a pittance compared to their male counterparts, wouldn't it make sense for us to try and sign as many top international female players as possible, on long term contracts, in the expectation that TV/sponsor revenues are likely to substantially increase in the next few years?

I think maybe every other club with a bit of spare cash has thought that, the big 6 will probably have already had their pick of what's available.

That's good news for a club owned by the Saudi SWF.

It only really just clicked that the Saudi dictators are trying to buy men's football by offering billions possibly trillions in wages to try and uproot European leagues when actually the smart thing to do would be to set itself up as the epicentre of the women's game and have the game grow around them.

Must confess I've gotten quite into the women's team lately, via my daughter, after having initially no interest at all.

Taken her to 4 or 5 games now, Lucy Cooper is her favourite player, Abby Jones, & Gemma McGuinness stand out to me as being really good players too.

Did enjoy the lino giving offside from a throw last night too.

Reactions: DJ
It only really just clicked that the Saudi dictators are trying to buy men's football by offering billions possibly trillions in wages to try and uproot European leagues when actually the smart thing to do would be to set itself up as the epicentre of the women's game and have the game grow around them.
Can’t see Saudi setting itself up as the epicenter of anything with women especially not in a sport.

Apologies if anyone else has covered this, I've not checked as I'm not watched the men's game yet so I'm avoiding spoilers!

Further apologies I don't have time to do a full report, maybe I'll do that in future if there's an audience for it?

Cherries won 4-1, Gemma McGuinness scored the first goal.
Helen Bleazard smashed in a penalty after a shocker of a challenge by the Maidenhead keeper on Lucy Cooper

Went in 2-0 up at the break.

In the second half Cooper made it 3 with a good finish after a lovely touch to get round her defender, before Maidenhead pulled one back with a strike from just outside the box that our keeper got a hand to, but couldn't keep it out.

Substitute Amber Treweek grabbed our 4th, that I missed due to a phone call from my dear old grandmother!

Final score 4-1 Cherries.

Last edited:

;