Ake - Man City £40 million?

Saw this from last night when looking through SSN Transfer News page.

CALLING BOURNEMOUTH FANS
#afcb fans !

Any questions you want answering about transfers get in touch with us @SkySportsNews tomorrow morning.

Will try and read a few tweets out on air...
— Mark McAdam (@markmcadamtv) July 2, 2019

I think he could end up going. If Man City don’t go for him then because of these reports there is nothing stopping another club trying to get him before City do.

I hope EH has someone lined up already as to replace Ake for the value we paid for him will not get us another Ake - prices go up when clubs know how much you have to spend.

Aside from that, I don't think there are very many Ake level CBs

I’d be equally unsurprised if Ake stays or goes to be honest. His performances will not have been missed by clubs much bigger than us but neither will our inability to defend pretty much anything! Personally, I think he’s the best player to represent the club (been watching for about 30 years now) and he’s only going to get better. In today’s market, the price we paid looks a steal. With prices being bandied around for someone like Maguire, £40m isn’t enough for me.

if Maguire is £70m, then Ake is £85m. I don't think Ake is worth £85m though... in comparison to van dijk (£75m), I would say £60m to £65m is about right. Maguire is a £50m defender. whatever happens, fair play to Nathan Ake, he's been a great servant so far. never seen him play without a smile on his face, leaves his heart and soul on that pitch every game and is a very respectable, likeable and a mature footballer. I prey he doesn't...

I think Ake would make an excellent club captain next season, at least deputising for when Franno isn’t playing, where last season other deputies like Surman and Gosling were in and out of the first team. Would be a good gesture of commitment towards him, and gives the club time to maybe groom Lewis Cook for that role in a couple of season’s time

With prices so high, what would be the point of selling? Ake might want to go, but he is under contract. Can't the club just say NO.

With prices so high, what would be the point of selling? Ake might want to go, but he is under contract. Can't the club just say NO.
Problem with saying NO is that when we want to attract the next Brooks, Lewis Cook etc here it’s not going to be much of a selling point if we block the pathway to the big guns

I think he could end up going. If Man City don’t go for him then because of these reports there is nothing stopping another club trying to get him before City do.
I think if Ake goes it would be to City although I think he would be suited to Spanish football. I remarked on a thread way back that Pep is a big fan of Ake and got slated for it.Now that Kompany has gone and with City not getting involved in a bidding war with United over Maguire, I think unfortunately, this may have legs.

I think unfortunately, this may have legs
The longer this thread has gone on, the more people have decided to convince themselves this is true. Yet no one has been able to explain why L’Équipe seem to have this story while no credible UK outlet is running with it.

In fact the only credible journalist as far as AFCB are concerned, Mark McAdam, has specifically stated there’s been no interest in Aké.

Problem with saying NO is that when we want to attract the next Brooks, Lewis Cook etc here it’s not going to be much of a selling point if we block the pathway to the big guns

Very hard to get my head wrapped around selling players and the Big 6. American sports are all about parity and designing it that every team is equal and has an equal chance to win. Our soccer is shiite and the MLS is the worst run of the bunch, but there is still always the desire for parity so that fans can hope. You could be a NY Knick fan and have a terrible owner, but the league is not stacking things against you.
But this Big 6 crap, where they can point at another player in their own league and say we want him and the team HAS to give him up, is just stupid.

I think it’s a balancing act. I a bigger fish comes in and Ake wants to leave, we have to let him but only at the right price. And I would suggest that the ‘right price’ is some way north of 40m in the current market. It’s true that players will see us as a stepping stone but they also can’t expect us to sell them at bellow market value just to appease them. The exact situation is occurring at Palace with Zaha right now, why should they sell if the valuation isn’t met?

Reactions: OBX
Very hard to get my head wrapped around selling players and the Big 6. American sports are all about parity and designing it that every team is equal and has an equal chance to win. Our soccer is shiite and the MLS is the worst run of the bunch, but there is still always the desire for parity so that fans can hope. You could be a NY Knick fan and have a terrible owner, but the league is not stacking things against you.
But this Big 6 crap, where they can point at another player in their own league and say we want him and the team HAS to give him up, is just stupid.
I completely agree but the big fish call the shots and they have no interest in reducing the wealth divide and making the league more competitive, it’s the main reason I dislike this league.

We can speculate on Ake's fee all we want, but if Chelsea's buy back fee is less than £40m then we only have 2 windows to obtain that fee.

I don't know the details of the buy back clause, and certain that's been discussed on here to death before, but do Chelsea have exclusivity at less than £40m (or whatever the number is) and therefore have ability to buy at a lower than true market price? Or can another club come along and say, well Chelsea you might think you have him for X (and if you were the only bidder, you would have), but we are going to outbid you on that and pay Y? Rendering the window of windows point irrelevant?

Chelsea's buy back would be very high by now, they normally increase over time to a point where they disappear. I doubt they will still have one by the time they're allowed to sign players again

;