Ake - Man City £40 million?

The longer this thread has gone on, the more people have decided to convince themselves this is true. Yet no one has been able to explain why L’Équipe seem to have this story while no credible UK outlet is running with it.

In fact the only credible journalist as far as AFCB are concerned, Mark McAdam, has specifically stated there’s been no interest in Aké.
The Ake to City thing was rumbling along ages ago. At that time they hadn't lost Kompany. We can't have it both ways and back slap each other because we think we have have one of the best central defenders in Europe on one hand and then throw a hissy if he is rumoured to be of interest to one of the biggest clubs in Europe on the other.

The Ake to City thing was rumbling along ages ago. At that time they hadn't lost Kompany. We can't have it both ways and back slap each other because we think we have have one of the best central defenders in Europe on one hand and then throw a hissy if he is rumoured to be of interest to one of the biggest clubs in Europe on the other.
I agree. The fact is I’ve not seen any credible evidence at this stage that any bid is imminent or even likely this summer. If that situation changes later in the summer, then as long as we get a fair price, I’d be delighted to see one of our players joining a club like Man City.

PS I don’t think anyone is throwing a hissy fit over this either

I agree. The fact is I’ve not seen any credible evidence at this stage that any bid is imminent or even likely this summer. If that situation changes later in the summer, then as long as we get a fair price, I’d be delighted to see one of our players joining a club like Man City.

PS I don’t think anyone is throwing a hissy fit over this either
The hissy thing wasn't aimed at anyone in particular I was guilty of generalizing . I just think that if he is good as we think he is then we shouldn't slide into denial if there are rumours of other clubs casting admiring glances at him. In some ways it's a compliment to Eddie and the coaching staff.

Sorry but there is an elephant in the room. AFCB are not Manchester City.

Ah, you will say, but Ake is brilliant and good enough to play for a top team. Yes, but with just two in central midfield he is forever having to put himself in the way of attacks with last ditch defending. We also have to chase a lot of games which means he often goes forward in search of an equaliser in the latter stages of games, often successfully.

Since when have Manchester City needed last ditch defending or to chase results at the end of games? Their style is to blow lesser teams away in the early part of games and then to close things out in the second half. The things we love about Ake - standing firm and making great interceptions when isolated against a counter attack or popping up for an injury time winner or equaliser - simply aren’t what Manchester City need.

What Kompany offered, and they are trying to replace, was a leader in the dressing room, a strong physical presence with good distribution and international/European experience. Maguire has that. For all his qualities which suit us, I don’t think Ake has those qualities to the same degree. Which is not to say I think Maguire is the better player. I don’t. They are different that’s all and I don’t think Ake is what Man City are looking for.

I don't think Ake is good enough for Man City.

I think he's better than John Stones but I don't John Stones is good enough for Man City either.

Vincent Kompany is head and shoulders better than either of them, even though he's going.

Yeah man city definitely don’t need a ball playing center back with pace and exceptional positioning. Oh and not only defending set pieces but offering a goal scoring threat at the other end. Versatility and a great temperament, and still relatively young with room to grow and possibly improve under a world class coach.

Sorry but there is an elephant in the room. AFCB are not Manchester City.

Ah, you will say, but Ake is brilliant and good enough to play for a top team. Yes, but with just two in central midfield he is forever having to put himself in the way of attacks with last ditch defending. We also have to chase a lot of games which means he often goes forward in search of an equaliser in the latter stages of games, often successfully.

Since when have Manchester City needed last ditch defending or to chase results at the end of games? Their style is to blow lesser teams away in the early part of games and then to close things out in the second half. The things we love about Ake - standing firm and making great interceptions when isolated against a counter attack or popping up for an injury time winner or equaliser - simply aren’t what Manchester City need.

What Kompany offered, and they are trying to replace, was a leader in the dressing room, a strong physical presence with good distribution and international/European experience. Maguire has that. For all his qualities which suit us, I don’t think Ake has those qualities to the same degree. Which is not to say I think Maguire is the better player. I don’t. They are different that’s all and I don’t think Ake is what Man City are looking for.
Let's hope you're right. Although I don't reckon that there's been a team in the history of the game ( even the great Brazil sides ) who haven't had to carry out some last ditch defending.

Very hard to get my head wrapped around selling players and the Big 6. American sports are all about parity and designing it that every team is equal and has an equal chance to win. Our soccer is shiite and the MLS is the worst run of the bunch, but there is still always the desire for parity so that fans can hope. You could be a NY Knick fan and have a terrible owner, but the league is not stacking things against you.
But this Big 6 crap, where they can point at another player in their own league and say we want him and the team HAS to give him up, is just stupid.

The team doesn’t have to give him up. Reality is if a player wants to move they will do. But there are no rules in play.

Dreaming of parity rules is daft. In USA there’s no promotion or relegation so the league works for the x number of teams in the division.

If that was the case here when we were 91st in the pyramid, what would the dream have been then?

Dreaming of parity rules is daft. In USA there’s no promotion or relegation so the league works for the x number of teams in the division.

There may be a degree of parity in the MLS, but without relegation and promotion there will never be the intensity and competitveness of the English Leagues. Watching top vs bottom at the end of the season in the US is like going to the cinema for the spectators, but in England the teams at the bottom are probably fighting harder than they have all season to avoid the drop regardless of who they are playing, and the atmosphere in the crowd can be electric because of it.

Just saw this on NSC, made me smile:

My view is Tarkowski play is more similar to Maguire than Dunks as he is more robust blood and thunder where Dunk is more cultured.

I can definitely picture Dunk at Man City tbf, so cultured, like a Rolls Royce on the ball :rofl:

Yeah man city definitely don’t need a ball playing center back with pace and exceptional positioning. Oh and not only defending set pieces but offering a goal scoring threat at the other end. Versatility and a great temperament, and still relatively young with room to grow and possibly improve under a world class coach.

We'll disagree then.

To get started, I love Nathan Ake, he's one of our very best players.

In my view Ake isn't good enough for Man City, Liverpool or Spurs. I think he'd struggle against Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, Juve and PSG - teams at the very top of club football.

Ake is good enough for Chelsea and Arsenal, plus he's clearly far too good for the current Man Utd shitshow, and any PL side below that.

My view is Tarkowski play is more similar to Maguire than Dunks as he is more robust blood and thunder where Dunk is more cultured.

I can definitely picture Dunk at Man City tbf, so cultured, like a Rolls Royce on the ball :rofl:
Did Rolls Royce make Friday afternoon cars like British Leyland did...if so Dunk is one!!!!

Is that cultured as in bacteria?

American sports are all about parity and designing it that every team is equal and has an equal chance to win. Our soccer is shiite and the MLS is the worst run of the bunch, but there is still always the desire for parity so that fans can hope.
I couldn't think of anything more mundane, especially in sport. The reality is that there is little parity in life and while there is much to criticise of English football (and the governing bodies in particular) from a fan perspective I would far rather have the cut and thrust as opposed to some manufactured equality.

;